Spitfire Innards...1/48 ICM kit.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I checked and found I hadn't posted this build here so being that I rarely build Spitfires I had a go with the ICM kit in 1/48 scale and simply loved it that I decided to explore its innards...basically the RR up front.

Starting with the box and sprue I quickly put together the cockpit and part of the engine and that's when I realised I had to spruce up the RR.

573406.jpg573407.jpg576741.jpg

But before that I painted up the cockpit side panels...

579063.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I didn't go into detail shots of the sprue as Dave had some really nice close up shots of his Mk.XVI and some of the my XI shared the same sprues. Anyway back to the cockpit...some pre-checking if I had covered all spots on the side panels...

578344.jpg

I went ahead with padding for the seat with two part putty pressed into shape.

579061.jpg

Roughly painted up the instrument panel. On seeing how deep it sat in the cockpit i didn't bother to detail it further.

579064.jpg

At this point I hadn't painted the seat in hull red as they were made from bake-lite compound I think.

579270.jpg

Then some angles of the seat and IP fitted.

579804.jpg579808.jpg579809.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice detailing Richard.....will you place a pilot in the cockpit or leave it open for viewing? Rick H. :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Richard. Very nice office work. Seated by Rick.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work richard , good to see another ICM spit being built . Very useful to see the ins and outs and potential problems to look out for when i get mine . I was looking at this version with the figures amongst others , do you get the dog too ? , cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, Rick, Lee and Tony,

The office is where I weather with higher contrast as much of it gets only a glimpse through the canopy or small openings. I seldom fit pilots as a lot of them are either awful or need lots of modifications for the right pose. Most of them are just facing forward.
The ICM kit is a nice build and I like the soft plastic. Yes it came with the dog...a Golden Retriever I think.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The RR engine was a delight to put together...my second time after the 1/24 scale Airfix kit I did in my youth. This one somehow needed the extra yard to look even better. Here it's dry fitted onto the support cradle arms.

579062.jpg

Looking at the profile shot the engine compartment was crying out for some gizmology. I only did that after I had closed the fuselage and fitted the wings which I won't recommend as getting the compartment was difficult at times.

579810.jpg

So I went ahead and put the halves and wings together and made sure the dehydral was achieved with masking tape. On hindsight I should have added braces for the wingroots as they sunk when creating the dehydral creating a step.

580030.jpg
Noticed that I had broken one of the support spars and needed fixing.

580032.jpg
Here it is all fixed...you can see the pronounced step at the wingroot that would haunt me later and was rectified much later. I may have some new photographs showing the correction.

580361.jpg580358.jpg
The gun bay and engine compartment still quite empty and void of plumbing/gizmology.

580359.jpg
Not only was there a step to contend with, there was a large gap on the left wingroot

580360.jpg580363.jpg

Solved that with some filler... and should have continued up the rest of the wingroot but I didn't.

580500.jpg

Well lesson learnt later. More to come.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The kit came with alternative wing tips and these can pose a problem if not fitted well. To prevent sanding detail I masked the joint, filled and sanded.

580499.jpg
The tail planes joints also needed filler.

580501.jpg

Next the fun part begins...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I've not built many planes but filling gaps on the wing roots and the tail plane is a horrible job. I think the prospect of re-scribing sanded off detail is not fun :sad:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming along well Richard. Good tip on using tape during the filling and sanding stage to stop losing detail.
I’ve found that if you do have to sand away details it is worth rescribing panel lines as you go along. That way you can use the original panel lines for templates, deepening them as necessary, and obviating the need to completely recreate them from scratch.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
looking good! dry fitting, adjusting & dry fitting is really important in the ICM Spitfire, can't say that I had problems with the wing root - but mainly with the upper cowling - which you have avoided! I've been thinking about my Mk.VII - maybe a diorama - I have the Airfix Albion Refueller & Pilots/Ground Crew - that too has a dog - but it looks more like a Spaniel
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Albion refueller is a nice kit Dave. I built it a few years ago. The only issue I seem to recall was the fit of the multi part tank, but it was easily fixed with a little filler.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys for lovely comments.
Yup sanding off detail can be a pain if you can't remember what it looked like before obliterating it.:smiling6: The wingroot was fine when dry fitting but converged in when pressure was added with the pulling of the tape. I didn't notice it until the glue had set.

Okay this is where the exciting part starts. This was my reference...

584856.jpg

Then the collecting of the right gauge of wire...

584023.jpg

Bunching some of the plumbing and securing them with aluminum strip.

584025.jpg

Spark plug wiring inserted in pre-drilled holes and inserting thick aluminum wire for the largest plumbing that runs from the propeller crankcase to God knows where...I'm just following the reference image.

584026.jpg

Fitting all the wires and painting each one accordingly as I go along.

584027.jpg584028.jpg

From a different angle...

584029.jpg

More plumbing...these are the wires that I got at the beginning and pre-twisted it to shape...

584235.jpg584236.jpg

Starting to look more busy...

584237.jpg

I then drilled out some plastic strip, cut them into little squares for the panel screw fasteners...

585164.jpg

Thin wire was wound and cut into rings for the circular panel screw fasteners on the other points of the frame.

585165.jpg

Looks more complete with the propeller and spinner on.

584559.jpg584560.jpg

I didn't have reference for the top and I think there's a bunch of wire between the two camshafts.

584561.jpg

Cheers,
Richard.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks fantastic Richard. Great additions that have really lifted this to the next level.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
top view of a Merlin III......................................
top merlin III.jpg
The Merlin has two spark plugs per cylinder - one on the inlet side, the other the exhaust...................
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic detailing Richard, I just love the term "gizmology".

Andy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen.
I'm just happy I managed a certain level, Tim.
Appreciate that top shot of the merlin Dave. Can't recall it having a spine at the top.
Andy, that term came from Shep Paine.
Super comment Neil. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Let's get strapped in...
I make my own seat belts with tape and wire...not exactly accurate but enough to get by.

The first thing is to get the buckles and attachments sorted out. I shaped theis attachments with tweezers and flat nosed pliers. Didn't have to get the straight ends perfect as they would be hidden under the tape.

579807.jpg

British belts were weird in that they had great eyelets for their buckles so another material had to be used to make this. I used paper thin plastic sheet for this, drilled and sliced in belt widths. The rest of the belt was masking tape pre-painted in buff.

584021.jpg584022.jpg584853.jpg

The wire attachment were taped on and thinner strips of masking acted as straps on the belts...

584854.jpg584855.jpg

Painted and weathered.I tried as best I could to paint the rims of the eyelets silver.

585012.jpg

They look pretty okay in place over the seat. The belts are secured through a gap in the armoured headrest and behind across from the panel to the bulkhead. You'll see this in the next pictures.

585013.jpg

First I made the hook that will attach to the bulkhead...

585160.jpg

This is it attached...

585162.jpg

They really didn't want the pilot smashing forwards in a collision did they...:smiling2:

585163.jpg

Simple and that's got the job done...

Cheers,
Richard