Spitfire Mk.II (Revell 1/32)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,

This 1/32 Spitfire is one of my 'shelf-queens', I stared building it a while ago and I would like to finish it as a 'new years' present for my dad (it wil replace that Fury-fish-tank-dio if you remember that one)

Here are some pictures of the build :
Steven_Spit_001.JPG

Steven_Spit_002.JPG

Steven_Spit_003.JPG

Steven_Spit_004.JPG

Steven_Spit_005.JPG

--------

This week I added the canopy-parts with Micro Kristal Clear and masked them with Tamiya tape. I taped it off and used the raised surface detail as a guide for the knife.
Steven_Spit_006.JPG

Then I degreased the model with alcohol and sprayed a green tone on the canopy (interior color).
Steven_Spit_007.JPG

Then I sprayed black primer in all cavities and used white primer on the rest of the aircraft. I decided not to do a full preshading at this time...
Steven_Spit_009.JPG

I made a new wooden block for more project-sticks... Some parts I left off for easier painting.
Steven_Spit_008b.jpg

So that's all for the moment, no time left this week to continue...

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Was just looking at this and the IXc kits. Some people say it's rubbish and others love it. What do you think of it Steven?

Build is coming on great

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Alan, I had a few fitting problems with the flaps and ailerons, but I can't remember any details. Also I had to scrape the inside of the wing to get the assembled cockpit fitted... Further I think the front-glass-armor-canopy-plate should go more smooth over in the fuselage.
The decal for the instrument panel should be cut, in one piece it didn't overlap correct with the plastic panel. :thinking:

I got it for about 20eur (17£) so for that price I think it's a nice kit. :thumb2:

Cheers, Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That was my thinking point Steven. Both kits could be had for a grand total of £35 delivered and it would be nice to have some Allied aircraft in my stash lol

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,

Haven't got much bench-time lately but still a small update...

I masked off the propellers and sprayed the spinner and yellow tips.
Steven_Spit_010.jpg

(Weathering is for later)
Steven_Spit_011.jpg

The belly was sprayed in 'duck egg green', then masked off with Tamiya tape.
Steven_Spit_012.jpg

Then I sprayed the brown camo, I made a mistake by not spraying the whole model in brown, I think that would have helped to make the camo-colors matching better. :thinking:
Steven_Spit_013.jpg

I ordered some 'blu-tack' (grey), but I made the sausages to big so I had the use my blue putty too (more greasy)...
Steven_Spit_014.jpg

Because I made them too thick I had some problems on the masked lines, even in this scale it looked weird, (looked like 2 edges)
It can work if you spray very straight, but in the future I'll make the masking-sausages smaller to avoid this problem...
Steven_Spit_015.jpg

So in smaller steps this time I masked some areas off again, trying to fix these lines...
Steven_Spit_016.jpg

When it looked a bit better I masked and sprayed the black lines on the wings and the duck-egg-green-band (tail).
Steven_Spit_017.jpg

The black lines came out very sharp, I also lost the antenna-part on the rudder, haven't yet found it back :confused:
Steven_Spit_018.jpg

So that's all for the moment, next is a gloss coat and decals...

Thanks for reading and kind regards :thumb2:
Steven

First Name
Wouter
You did that yesterday Steven? What a shame, you should have been at the NUTS! weekend at Bastogne :hungry::smiling5:. Just kidding. That masking turned out great, camouflage looks very good!

Cheers

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys :thumb2:

First of all, I found the lost aerial-thing in my trashcan, it was stuck in the masking tape :poop:...
Steven_Spit_018b.jpg

This week I sprayed on a gloss coat, I used 'Mig lucky gloss varnish' for the first time, it seemed to work fine but you have to spray it in multiple, very thin layers, so it took a while.
Steven_Spit_019.jpg

These are the decals that come with the kit.
The red dots are separate decals, which I find a bit inconvenient to work with...
Steven_Spit_020.jpg

I used micro sol & set,
I always find it fascinating how the decals crumble and in the end adapt to the surface...
Steven_Spit_021.jpg

The underside has a raised part, so that's trouble to get the decal on there.
I couldn't help myself thinking about the young kid trying to get these on with nothing more than tap-water :sad-face: ...
Steven_Spit_022.jpg

After several applications of micro sol I was able to get it on very flat.
I got 2 crumbled lines in the decal though but because it's on the underside it won't be visible.
Steven_Spit_023.jpg

The rivets came through very nice I think!
Steven_Spit_024.jpg

The fuselage, again I did numerous passes of micro sol
Steven_Spit_025.jpg

I spend the whole yesterday-evening on the decals but I'm pretty happy how they turned out. :upside:
Next is another gloss coat to seal them in...

That's all, kind regards ; )
Steven

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve never understood why the red centre dots are often separate on decal sheets these days. It only seems to make them more difficult to apply for the modeller — I suppose there’s a benefit to the manufacturer, but I fail to see what it is.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I’ve never understood why the red centre dots are often separate on decal sheets these days. It only seems to make them more difficult to apply for the modeller — I suppose there’s a benefit to the manufacturer, but I fail to see what it is.
Is it a throw back to the days of frequently out of register decals ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Coming together very nicely Steven. I'll defo be getting one of these now i've seen this build progressing

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is it a throw back to the days of frequently out of register decals ?
That would be more of a problem with the red/blue discs, I’d think, because you would probably get a dark line where the two colours overlap, and if so, then likely also a clear or white bit on the opposite side.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for the comments guys! :thumb2:

@Wouter : I don't know if they printed it via Cartograph, it says this on the bottom :
decal.jpg

Since my last update I added a panel-line-wash (Tamiya black).
Steven_Spit_026.jpg

On the real plane the rivets might not be so visible, but I like to accentuate all the small details.
I broke off the landing struts and one aileron during the wash-cleaning :poop: ...
Steven_Spit_027.jpg

After the wash the model could dry for a few days...
Then I sprayed a few coats of Lucky Varnish (Ultra-Matt)...

After the varnish I sprayed the exhaust-stains, this should be more 'black-ish' for Allied aircraft as I learned here on the forum, but I liked the look of a dark-brown for this one.
I also added some chipping (aluminium paint)
Steven_Spit_028.jpg

I added a few colors to the exhaust-pipes to make them look more interesting, the wheels were painted too...
Steven_Spit_029.jpg

The aerial-wire was added with superglue (at the moment only on the rudder).
I used a thin plastic 'sewing thread' from the local warehouse.
Steven_Spit_030.jpg

I made a base again with MDF, I thought the oval shape had something Spitfire-ish :smiling6:.
Steven_Spit_033.jpg

The figure was stared a while ago, I used one of the Masterbox RAF pilots, which is probably the most used figure-box for all 1/32 spitfires :smiling5:...
Steven_Spit_031.jpg

I don't know anything about dogs, but I wanted to make it look more interesting then just plain-brown.
So I searched google for dogs and colors :smiling2: ...
Steven_Spit_032.jpg

Today I will continue on the base, aerial and canopy...
At the moment the model looks like this :
Steven_Spit_034.jpg
I wanted to make a grass-diorama, but because I'm running out of time (present for new-year) I glued a piece of sandpaper on the base (grey-primed), as a sort of runway... Will try to add some grass-tufts in the front ...

Thanks for reading and kind regards : D,
Steven