Spitfire Mk.II (Revell 1/32)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Steven,
You are making a very good job of this...love the pilot and pooch :smiling4: Your pictures are really clear, well lit and crisp, do you have special lighting? What camera do you use?
Sorry for lots of questions

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That would be more of a problem with the red/blue discs, I’d think, because you would probably get a dark line where the two colours overlap, and if so, then likely also a clear or white bit on the opposite side.
It was more often the red dot in the middle of a white section that was out of centre and wonky looking , Most kit makers had a wobble occasionally with this problem so providing the dot seperate is a way to ensure it doesn't happen - unless of course the modeller doesnt get it central !!! In which case its nobodys fault but their own . Surprisingly its very easy to get the dot bang on judging it by eye . A kit maker that used to get their decals off register all the time was Novo , the russian firm who bought all the old Frog mouldings after they went bust.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Your pictures are really clear, well lit and crisp, do you have special lighting? What camera do you use?

Thanks Si!
I made a light-box myself with MDF and a 2 fluorescent light tubes :
Steven_Spit_035b.jpg

That box is used to light my desk, it gives a good (cold) overall lighting with soft shadows.
In addition to that I use a (warm) white LED (320lm) in that Ikea lamp thing.
It's nothing specially set up for photographing but it works for me :thumb2:
Steven_Spit_035.jpg

I use my old Canon 1100D camera that I bought in early 2011, it came with a standard 18-55mm lens.
canon1100d.jpg

Cheers ; )
Steven

First Name
Wouter
Ah, I have the same old camera ^^

Nice work, those rivets are nicely visible now. Love the exhaust staining. Nearing the end now ey. New year present, you need to hurry indeed :D

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It was more often the red dot in the middle of a white section that was out of centre and wonky looking , Most kit makers had a wobble occasionally with this problem so providing the dot seperate is a way to ensure it doesn't happen
True, but why is that? It can’t be that the printing is out of register, because then all the other red bits would also be shifted on the sheet.

unless of course the modeller doesnt get it central !!! In which case its nobodys fault but their own .
That could easily be solved by the decal designer adding a blue circle (not a disc) the size of the red one in the middle of the roundel, exactly where the red one is to go. This would give the modeller a guide, but it seems nobody thought of that before me just now :smiling3:

A kit maker that used to get their decals off register all the time was Novo , the russian firm who bought all the old Frog mouldings after they went bust.
This does not surprise me — quality control in the Soviet Union wasn’t always of the highest standard after all :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
True, but why is that? It can’t be that the printing is out of register, because then all the other red bits would also be shifted on the sheet
Exactly that , all the red bits were slightly off register but with things like the codes it didn't make a difference , sometimes you would see it on the fin flash too. The colours were printed one at a time so if the decal paper shifted slightly between colours then you would get the problem no matter what the colour .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Steven,
A very good build and well presented - do not worry about the dog colours, they come in all colours and sizes.
Mike.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys! :thumb2: :thumb2::thumb2:

Well I was home alone today... :smiling6: so I was able to finish the project!

First I painted the base with the airbrush. I used masking-tape to spray some sort of airfield-concrete-panel-things...
Steven_Spit_036.jpg

I added a white line to break-up the squares and to give the impression we're on ... an airfield!
The border was masked and sprayed with burned umber (same as the bf109 dio).
Steven_Spit_037.jpg

To make the base a bit more 'alive' I added a small area of grass.
As most people I once converted an Electric-fly-killer-racket to a static-grass-applicator - however,
I barely used it as it didn't work well on larger distances (when I tried making static pine trees).

The thing is powered with a 5V adapter instead of the original 3V batteries.
This is actually the first time I had success with it :smiling6: - I used 6mm grass and thinned wood-glue with a bit of green/brown paint in it...
Steven_Spit_038.jpg

Then I took off the canopy masking-tape...
Steven_Spit_039.jpg

I glued the aerial-antenna in place - And everything was put happily together! (not glued yet for transport)Steven_Spit_040.jpg

Some pictures of the finished build!
Steven_Spit_041.jpg

Steven_Spit_043.jpg

Steven_Spit_044.jpg

Steven_Spit_042.jpg

Steven_Spit_045.jpg

So that's pretty much it!
The Revell-kit itself had a few fitting issues, but in general it's a very nice kit for it's (current) price.
The latter part (painting and finishing) was really fun, I'm happy to see this shelve-queen got finally finished :thumb2:

Many thanks for all the input and comments!
Kind regards,
Steven

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That's a very classy build, great choice of base as well (although it really should be all grass......) but it does look good.