Spitfire Mk. Ix C Camo help

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm doing a Revell 1/48 Spitfire Mk. IX C I've never been any good at camo and usually get fed up with trying to do it, what's the easiest way to get the patterns right, I've tried creating masks with bluetack under it, but never seem to be happy with the finish, also in Modelair what colour would the blue be? the instructions tell me to mix 2 colours but I would rather not do that if I can help it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John I use Blu-Tac to outline the pattern and then fill in with tape. I'm not trying to achieve a raised mask as everything I've seen and read about factory applied camouflage for the RAF leads me to believe the demarcations (certainly in scale) were hard.

I'm not sure what blue colour you mean. The illustration appears to be in a version of the DFS of Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. Actually the illustration looks like a strange and non-standard scheme,at least as far as the other markings (fuselage band or lack of,roundels,codes) go but I don't claim any expertise on British camouflage and markings.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Steve, I've give it a coat of sea grey and will get the blu-tac out tomorrow and give it another try, don't know about the scheme it's from the Revell site

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The day fighter scheme had Dark Green and Ocean Grey on top and lower surfaces in Medium Sea Grey.

I'm guessing the picture is from the squadrons time in Italy. It doesn't look like North Africa!

Cheers

Steve

E

Edgar Brooks

That's 43 Squadron, which spent most of its time in the Middle East, finishing in the north of Italy. While never saying "never," the under-sized roundels, on the wings' upper surfaces are a mite unlikely, although some Squadrons did misinterpret the order, in January 1945, to paint them to the same style, and proportions, as the fuselage roundels. The fuselage band was not an operational requirement in the Mediterranean, nor was the yellow l/e stripe, and red spinners seem to have been a standard in that theatre.

It used to be possible to buy sheets of a clear material, with low-tack adhesive ("Frisket" in the U.S., I think,) which was designed for photo albums; you could draw the design (in reverse) on the backing paper, then cut it out, peel off the backing, and put it in place. It wasn't too keen on glossy paints, like Xtracolor, though. I've always had success with cutting Tamiya masking tape into thin (2-3mm) strips, then laying it in place; it's possible to guide the tape round curves quite easily, then fill in the rest with newspaper + wider strips of cheaper masking tape. Being a poor old pensioner ;) I object to contaminating perfectly good Blutack with paint.

Edgar

C

CDW

I remember an interview years back with an old WW2 spitfire pilot who said that quite often the pilot would be inclined to adjust the camo pattern for his own plane slightly (indicating it was to make it personal to the pilot), he mentioned also that the engineers/groundcrew that "tarted up" the aircraft after work was done on panneling etc wouldn't exactly recreate the original when painting over and would often just extend one colour a little to save time changing paints/brushes/rags (or whatever) when the plane was needed for action.

In my mind that means we're allowed a little creative licence in this situation.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I got the blu-tac out and give it another go, don't think I've got it quite right but it's getting there, I think there's far too much blue but I don't want to have to respray it again

View attachment 33519

photo.JPG