Spitfire Mk XVI 4D V. 74 squadron. Drope 1945

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of the latest victim. This is one for my 74 Squadron line up.

The kit is ICM's lovely little set in 1/48 scale. Although there is a full engine in the kit, I didn't put it in, as I want this one buttoned up. I have just noticed in my photos that the rear view mirror has done a runner! I'll find it later hopefully.

As I have said before ICM build well if you are ready to spend a little more time building them and not just sticking them together. HOWEVER one thing ICM can't do is decals. This will explain the lack of stencils on this build. The Markings are from Xtradecals 74 squadron sheets. The Stencils being from the actual kit, totally disintegrated as soon as they got wet. It would seem that there are a whole heap decals that missed the sealing process. The texts that got by the petrol filler ended up as single letters swimming in a pool of water on the backing sheet. The walkway markings broke up into 2mm long sections....Be warned.

So here are the pictures and I''l shut up.

View attachment 45936 View attachment 45937 View attachment 45938 View attachment 45939 View attachment 45940 View attachment 45941 View attachment 45942

Hope you like it and comments are welcome.

Ian M

View attachment 48994

View attachment 48995

View attachment 48996

View attachment 48997

View attachment 48998

View attachment 48999

View attachment 49000

XVI 1.jpg

XVI 2.jpg

XVI 3.jpg

XVI 4.jpg

XVI 5.jpg

XVI 6.jpg

XVI 7.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hello Ian, nice looking Spitfire. A shame to hear the decals weren't up to the job. For the wing walkway markings on my last 1/72 Spitfire restoration I had no such decals available so used the border outline from an old decal sheet and cut them to size. Your Spitfire looks clean, crisp and very well finished.

K

Keith9657

\ said:
Hello Ian, nice looking Spitfire. A shame to hear the decals weren't up to the job. For the wing walkway markings on my last 1/72 Spitfire restoration I had no such decals available so used the border outline from an old decal sheet and cut them to size. Your Spitfire looks clean, crisp and very well finished.
Good tip, Joe.

Keith

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a great build Ian despite the decal problems. well done

Vaughan

First Name
Michael
Very nice job indeed Ian. Looks like ICM need to get their finger out with their decals.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Considering the problems you had this has turned out nicely. A fine looking Spit.

Tony.