Spitfire question?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have a pretty good idea what is available in 1/32 but have less of an angle of what’s out there in 1/48.

I would quite like to build a couple of PR Spitfires, a low altitude scheme (pink) and a medium to high altitude scheme (blue).

Are there any PR Spitfires available in 1/48 or decent kits that can be used as a base with reasonable ease? I am not concerned about a particular Mark and it could be a Merlin or Griffon.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Edaurd spits are pretty decent kit I have done a few with no issues.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Barry,
ICM do a LF IXE, and a VII with the extended wings & overall grey and others like the VIII, IX, XVI - all in 1/48. They are not the latest ICM models, but are pretty detailed OOB - and have a complete engine option - best of all - they are very reasonable price wise! You can get the instructions from the ICM website..............
DSCF1599.JPG
This is my Mk.XVI
Dave
ps John seems to have the whole lot in stock!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some
Good suggestions. Thank you I will take a look.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I'm sure I've got a 1/48 Airfix PR Spitfire tucked away Barry. I think it has a Swedish airframe as one of the options... Mk IX maybe ?? Might be worth a search.

Nick

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have a pretty good idea what is available in 1/32 but have less of an angle of what’s out there in 1/48.

I would quite like to build a couple of PR Spitfires, a low altitude scheme (pink) and a medium to high altitude scheme (blue).

Are there any PR Spitfires available in 1/48 or decent kits that can be used as a base with reasonable ease? I am not concerned about a particular Mark and it could be a Merlin or Griffon.
Hi Barry.
Im sure i have a couple of articles somewhere on PR spits.Might be 72nd scale but should be ok as a benchmark.Seem to remember ones postwar in Far east and the other is in an old Verlinden magazine which im sure is 48th using Tamiyas kit.Plus theres the Modellers datafile books which im sure will have info.I shall ferret around and see what i have.Im pretty sure there used to be a resin set for PRs on e.bay from czech company .
Hope that helps a bit.
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

Just looked on E.bay and Pavla do 48th conversion for spitfire PR.S.contains canopy and other bits n bobs,
Rich

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The newer Airfix Spits build well and look rather good.
ICM make some very nice ones as well, they can put up a fight at times... the engine being a structural part of the build otherwise you need to build carefully to be able to get the cowl and side panels on.
is the one I built without any issue.