Spots on the Internet

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
From a Revell emailshot & website - available week 42 ( Oct 15th ) the-revell-story__cover-3d(1).jpg
'A model of success' - no irony intended, I'm sure, given the demise of Revell US.
Dave

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
I remember the reputation of old Revell kits being mainly one for poor fit. Not sure how they consider that “success.”

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
Revell were the 'sophisticated' end of the market, when I first made models ( mid 60's ). Airfix, and Frog were the British, rather crude basics. Revell models were birthday, or Christmas presents - never mind the bizarre scales, or clumsy 'working' features. Coming from the USA, they gave you instant 'street cred' ( important to a 10 year old! )
Dave

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
Things had changed by the 80s, then :smiling3: Compared to the Matchbox and the odd Italeri kit I was used to, most Revell kits sold around my area (which were mainly Revell USA ones in Revell Germany boxes) had a lot worse fit. I wasn’t fond of them, but of course if you were a child who liked modelling you got given one occasionally anyway.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
Matchbox made their appearance in 1972 - the first in the catalogue was the Hawker Fury ( PK-1). They were different, with their often garish sprue colors. and boxed! - I can't really remember Italeri, until much later. In the 80's I was into obscure aircraft - virtually all vac-form models - like Contrail, Formaplane, Warbirds, Falcon & others. Almost a lost art, making vacforms, though I still have a few in a box pure - nostalgia!
Dave

Tim Marlow

SMF Poster
First Name
Tim
In the late sixties, early seventies, my mum used to collect green shield stamps......one book, on redemption, used to get four Revell 1/72 aircraft kits. Used to be the Airacobra, the Saetta, the P26 pursuit aircraft, and one I cannot remember.....they were the only Revells I remember as a kid. The LHS didn’t stock them.....did have Hasegawa though, but they took two weeks pocket money, and my resolve was rarely strong enough to save up....

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
The place to see, when I was a kid - was 'Redgates' - a giant toyshop in Sheffield - allegedly the best toyshop outside London. The range of kits they stocked by the early 80's was astounding, one complete floor ( of 4 ) was given up to models - all way beyond my price range, browsing was the nearest I got to most! In the early 80's, I bought my first computer there, a Sinclair Spectum 48K + ( around £200 ). they did move with the times. Sadly closed in 1986
Dave

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
Matchbox made their appearance in 1972
That was before I was born :smiling3: One of my treasured possessions of my youth was a 1980 Matchbox catalog — so much so that I had no hesitation at all in buying a second copy, but now in good condition, when I came across it some years ago at a model show.

vac-form models - like Contrail, Formaplane, Warbirds, Falcon & others. Almost a lost art, making vacforms
I’ve built a couple, but of military vehicles. One of a DUKW, which in the late ’80s or so was the only choice if you wanted one in 1/35 scale … what was the German brand again that made them? I don’t remember …

one complete floor ( of 4 ) was given up to models
By comparison, I had a village shop that sold almost anything you cared to name outside of food and drinks (I later had a summer job there — the storerooms were the best, simply because of the sheer amount of stuff in them, some of it 20+ years old), and it had shelves maybe 1–1.5 meters wide with model kits (mostly Matchbox and some Italeri, plus assorted others) and at a the bottom, a rack of Humbrol tins.

In the early 80's, I bought my first computer there, a Sinclair Spectum 48K + ( around £200 )
My brother and I had a Spectrum+ in the mid-80s. That was already the third or fourth computer in our house, though :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
A bit sketchy - on the Gecko Facebook page, but not on their website - no further information
gecko a9.jpg gecko a9cs.jpg
These follow on from their A10 versions - strange how these are also modelled by Bronco - any connection? I've never seen any Gecko models, anyone have any feedback?
Dave

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
We’re into Hasegawa-land where each and every variant, no matter how minor, warrants a separate kit that has only the parts to make that exact variant, and no spares. I much prefer fewer kits, but with extra parts for different variants.

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
I would have thought that MiniArt would have released some of the non-gun variants of the T54/55 - like bridgelayer, ARV, combat engineering tractor, driver training, gun tractor, there must be many, given the widespread use of these vehicles
Dave

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
With a bit of luck those are on the way but they’re waiting for the gun tanks to sell so they have the money to make the molds?

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
Two releases from Revell - One new Tool.................. revell  antonov mrija.jpg
Even at 1/144, this will be a monster.
..............and a rebox revell armata.jpg
This is the Zvezda model..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
On the Rye Fields Model Facebook page
rye fields sheridan.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the first modern model of the 551 since the elderly Academy & Tamiya versions, although Tamiya have a 'new tool' Sheridan promised
And from an emailshot from MiniArt miniart british packs.jpg
The long rolled tarps look useful
Dave

Last edited:

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
That Sheridan is certainly interesting … I still have a mostly-built and -corrected Tamiya one somewhere that I never did finish. Chances are they’ll end up getting some of my money for one I can turn into a Vietnam version.