Spray booth ventilation.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Having just got myself a cheapy spray booth I wonder what the collective thinks about the vent system. I use the attic for modelling and there are no windows or othe means of venting to the outside. So..........the question, would I really need to fit the long tube on the rear as it would just be venting into the attic? I should mention that I only use acrylic paints.

Andy.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is only the particles to worry then, provided you are using water based acrylics, so a good carbon filter should be enough.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To be honest, the booth basically controls overspray and stops paint particles drifting over your desk. It is fitted with a coarse particulate filter so doesn’t really filter out much of importance. I have an identical spray booth, and have used it for years. I’ve never vented it to outside. I just use correct PPE when spraying. if you can vent it to outside, do so, if you can’t, then use proper PPE and don’t worry about it.

First Name
Jim
If you are in a large open attic you can at least run a longer vent hose further away from where you are working. That's what I had to do in my basement when I worked down there.

D

Deleted member 5496

Best to vent to the outside no doubt about it. With out any vent in the attic at all will accumulate
both particles & the thinners.

Paint. Vallejo Air has certificated confirming it is non toxic. But no one would want particles in their lungs.

Tamiya more serious it is toxic both particles & thinners.

If possible go for a vent in the roof to which you can connect a duct.

Many units are available depending on the type of roof tile. In a good number of cases a 15 minute job & in most cases the units are very cheap.

Remove a tile & replace with a manufactured unit with a vent built in. Does depend on the roof covering type. A photo of roof tiles type sent to roof supplier & they will advise. Sounds complicated but it is, in most cases, simple.

Laurie

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy have you got void walls up there ,cut a hole fit a proper thing to take the hose and vent into the void the void should be a separate entity from the house and have a air flow from the vented facia and soffit god your not outing moisture a few paint particls wich should mostly me caught by the filter the rest probably won't reach the end of the hose ,personally I'd go with tims reply some decent PPE. Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Someone I knew on another forum used to vent into a bucket of water because they couldn't vent outside in their flat. At least that would capture the particles.

Just s thought.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 5496

Andy have you got void walls up there ,cut a hole fit a proper thing to take the hose and vent into the void the void should be a separate entity from the house and have a air flow from the vented facia and soffit god your not outing moisture a few paint particls wich should mostly me caught by the filter the rest probably won't reach the end of the hose ,personally I'd go with tims reply some decent PPE. Dave
OK David providing it is a modern house. Older types are not soffitt or cavity ventilated & build up over the years of junk could cause serious problems.

Laurie

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
It might be worth putting in a roof vent? Basically remove a tile/slate and attach see link https://www.primexvents.com/how-to-choose-a-roof-vent. even if you get a roofing contractor to do it it will save any health worries. I use a second hand cooker extractor and added a built in inline fan as well works great cost next to nothing (gumtree) then strip it down and deep clean it, i added an led light few quid from most diy shops and wired in were the old lights were really simple but effective. As mentioned by others earlier i use Tamiya paints. So glad to be rid of all that nasty suff absolutely no smell after spraying.

Attachments

• 4506C420-A7BA-4AEA-A9E0-0C095FE41DE1.jpeg
    4506C420-A7BA-4AEA-A9E0-0C095FE41DE1.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 12
  • A24C14FC-98D4-45BA-9394-7EE36C294E24.jpeg
    A24C14FC-98D4-45BA-9394-7EE36C294E24.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
  • FF19BDDC-43BB-4CE5-A830-462389D9AFA0.jpeg
    FF19BDDC-43BB-4CE5-A830-462389D9AFA0.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 12