Spray Booth

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, I've now decided to get a portable spray booth, Expo ab500, got a good deal on Amazon, as I'm now doing more with my airbrush. Now my question is, it comes with an extractor hose but my understanding is that it can work with or without it, I've limited space so would be good using it without the hose but once it goes through the filter what comes out the back ? or is it needed.
Advice on this would be much appreciated, I use Zero, Vallejo and some Tamiya paint along with varnishes.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Paul, if that's right, putting the hose out of the window is the tricky bit, otherwise I'll need to move the room about a bit.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I don't use the hose. Mines up against a wall and there's no mark on the wallpaper where the hose would attach so the filters doing its job.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I now have one of these similar units after my Expo one disintegrated (all clips for the side panels snapped off)

I don't use the hose on mine either - no apparent problems

Like Bob says, the filter does its job

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The filter works on the particulates. How well does it work on all those noxious fumes? I would highly recommend wearing an industrial quality respirator with fresh cartridges (not more than 30 days old). If you can get fresh air ventilation or at the least a recirculation fan to move the air, it would go a long way towards preserving your health. This is critical when using solvent based paints, varnishes and clear lacquer systems. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wot Rick says....
What comes out the back is the parts of the paint stream that are not filtered.....micro paint particles, solvents, atomised binder etc. The rule of thumb is that if you can smell it you probably shouldn’t breath it in....and if you can’t smell it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.....decent respiratory protection is essential when spraying. The booths are good for collecting overspray, but at the price they sell for, not much else.....
Cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 7181

I don't think I'd want the fumes just recirculating back into the room either, seems to defeat the object somewhat.

I'm currently in the process of making my own from an old kitchen extractor hood. I've modified the intake to accept the fine blue & white filter material often used in airbrush booths and it'll have a 100mm hose leading outside via a screwfix tumble dryer kit.

With 3 speeds it ought to be fairly handy. Low airflow when doing small or detailed bits or just a bit of background ventilation, then high flow when priming or clearing full models. I haven't made the enclosure yet as I'm still planning big changes in the shed (my hospital stay coincided with the time I'd set aside for that!) which will include a separate painting area so I'll make it to suit whatever space I have available. It also has lights built in, which won't be much use but I can fudge the switch to operate some LED tape lights.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It also has lights built in, which won't be much use but I can fudge the switch to operate some LED tape lights.
Be careful saying things like that, the 'elf and safety guys will be screaming "Electrics and Vapours! There's going to be a big bang.
But we know you are a spray painter by trade (or have been...) And We are sure that you know what you are doing.... Fudge the switch. lol
Remember to get daylight balanced lights or you will be forever running over to the window muttering 'what the fudge is up with this fudging paint?! Looks totally wrong!
That reminds me. Still need to find a new cover for the control box to my compressor! LOL.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks guys, this info is helpful, I do use a face mask to be safe, i think the biggest issue is the misty cloud you get so if it removes that it's worth it. A lot of videos show without the hose so will try that first the go from there, it must be of some good otherwise no one would buy them, saw some put a piece of tissue on the back to see what comes out the back so I'll try that and see, results to follow doesn't arrive till Tuesday. :thumb2: :nerd:

D

Deleted member 7181

Be careful saying things like that, the 'elf and safety guys will be screaming "Electrics and Vapours! There's going to be a big bang.
But we know you are a spray painter by trade (or have been...) And We are sure that you know what you are doing.... Fudge the switch. lol
Yes, I guess it was a little flippant of me to put it like that.
All wiring is completely isolated from airflow inside a metal housing. Any modifications will be tested by a qualified electrician.
Should keep H&S happy :smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Mark
If I implied they weren’t any good it was an error. They are good at collecting overspray, I’ve used one for years.....just don’t expect solvent filtration at that price point.....directing it outside is a worthwhile idea, just wish I could LOL. I wear a mask when spraying, then open the window and leave the room for an hour to let the fumes dissipate ..... as to electrical stuff, I remember the days when we were sold electrical goods with no plugs, you had to buy your own and fit them.....it was far from uncommon to visit someone’s house and find several appliances wired into one plug :sad: These days they just add them to multibock after multiblock (I’ve seen three stacked on one outlet) so health and safety still can’t legislate for idiots :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
These days they just add them to multibock after multiblock (I’ve seen three stacked on one outlet) so health and safety still can’t legislate for idiots :smiling3:
You mean that is not allowed... Bugger!
I think that the main worry are switches, Turn them on they arc, turn them off they arc. Not that you hear of spray booths blowing up that often. It's just an idea to keep switches well outside the work space. Industry states that such things in an explosive atmosphere must be vapour proof. But who does that in the privacy of their man-cave.
How many of us sit and spray away with a cigarette either between our teeth or smouldering away in the ash tray....:smiling5:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark
If I implied they weren’t any good it was an error. They are good at collecting overspray, I’ve used one for years.....just don’t expect solvent filtration at that price point.....directing it outside is a worthwhile idea, just wish I could LOL. I wear a mask when spraying, then open the window and leave the room for an hour to let the fumes dissipate ..... as to electrical stuff, I remember the days when we were sold electrical goods with no plugs, you had to buy your own and fit them.....it was far from uncommon to visit someone’s house and find several appliances wired into one plug :sad: These days they just add them to multibock after multiblock (I’ve seen three stacked on one outlet) so health and safety still can’t legislate for idiots :smiling3:
Hi, no what you said was fine, I still use a face mask and will continue with it after the spray booth arrives, window is a bit awkward for me also. The thing I want it for primarily is to clear the cloud and the filter some of the baddies out, at the moment like you I leave the window open for a while not good now the winter is coming in fast. Should be fun trying out the new toy as I'm really getting into airbrushes although I'm finding I use other makes more now than the Tamiya ones I've accumulated, just can't get them to spray nicely, its frightening to see how many paints you collect over time, just as well the room is just for me my wife leaves it alone. :nerd:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I'm currently in the process of making my own from an old kitchen extractor hood.
With 3 speeds it ought to be fairly handy. Low airflow when doing small or detailed bits or just a bit of background ventilation, then high flow when priming or clearing full models...
I made mine also from a kitchen extractor, I too embedded the 3 speeds switch in my hood but I always use it on max speed.

I'm using a 100mm hose and would never use it without venting the air outside...

Cheers, Steven

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm using a 100mm hose and would never use it without venting the air outside...
One good thing about using an extractor is that they generally use centrifugal fans, which, as a rule of thumb, generate better airflow and more importantly static pressure than your average axial fan. This means they can cope with a longer outlet hose length without affecting performance as much.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I made mine also from a kitchen extractor, I too embedded the 3 speeds switch in my hood but I always use it on max speed.

Cheers, Steven
100mm hose, that's short it's only 4 inches, just read it again that's the diameter of hose. LOL

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Mark

I've had one of those booths for about 18 months now and have had no problems. IIRC the instructions imply that you can in theory use it without the hose, not that I'd personally want to.

I also seem to recall the instructions saying you should only use the blue filter if your using the hose and I must admit I did notice a big increase in the amount of suck when doing so.

After each session I leave the filter to soak in a very hot sink of water and load of washing up liquid to resolve the worst of the paint and hopefully hello it to last longer. Then just roll it up in a tea towel to dry it.

HTH

Andrew