Spraying Humbrol matt cote

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

Quick question, am I OK to thin Humbrol matt cote with White Spirit? I don't have their own thinners but have been using WS to clean brushes and it seems to mix OK. Just wanted to check before I ruin 5 weeks work. :D

Cheers,

B

M

Morpheus

From what I read online people do thin it with white spirit when brush painting but use Cellulose Thinners or Humbrol thinners when airbrushing if its the Humbrol Enamels you use, but people also mention not to over thin with Cellulose Thinners as it could damage the plastics.

D

dubster72

That's what I use Bob, and I've never had any problems.

Just be sure to stir it very very well before use. I recommend using a powered stirrer - I made my own from a nasal hair trimmer from Poundland.

D

dubster72

From what I read online people do thin it with white spirit when brush painting but use Cellulose Thinners when airbrushing if its the Humbrol Enamels you use.

Just to prevent any misconceptions, although Humbrol Matt coat might well thin with cellulose thinners, I wouldn't recommend it. White spirit works both for brushing & airbrushing.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Dave, and thank you Patrick, just the answer I was looking for. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Patrick, how long do you normally wait between coats, and how many coats do you apply?

Cheers,

B

First Name
Alex
Personally for thinning i use low odour white spirit as its less abrasive

D

dubster72

Patrick, how long do you normally wait between coats, and how many coats do you apply?

Cheers,

B

I guess that depends on how matt I want the finished model to look. Generally with armour I do 2 coats, applied roughly 6 hours apart.
Personally I would go by eye, and once you're happy with the effect leave it at that.