Spraying trees

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Quick question to the masses.

I need to paint the trunks/branches of some trees and wonder what the cheapest paint option is out there to do so. I am very reluctant to use my Vallejo/tamiya paints to do it. I have seen some 'spray paint' or 'flexible fabric paint' and was wondering if this would be ok to use?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would think a cheap pound shop type of rattle can will do what you want Alan.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Alan,
I use cheap commercial rattle can paints from the hardware store. Try to find subdued colors of green and brown. I work with flat black as an undercoat. I will still do a final highlight with an airbrush and Tamiya acrylics. Check out my Malayan Emergency dio that I'm currently working on.

Cheers,

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Quick question to the masses.

I need to paint the trunks/branches of some trees and wonder what the cheapest paint option is out there to do so. I am very reluctant to use my Vallejo/tamiya paints to do it. I have seen some 'spray paint' or 'flexible fabric paint' and was wondering if this would be ok to use?
If ya going for budget Alan, Matt black rattle can for the base and a cream/beige/whatever to hand, light rattle to highlight.
12×12ml tubes of acrylic paint from the works £3.50 to mix up and colour to taste.
12x12ml tubes of oil paint from the works also £3.50 for washes and highlights.
Does mean a bit of mixing colours to get what you need, but for tree trunks and ground works, cheap and cheerful for sure!
Rob.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. The reason i would like a rattle can is because the seafoam is too delicate to brush paint

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just make sure the leaves are well fixed or it could look like "autumn" by the time you've finished spraying the leaves! ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm not adding the leaves then spraying the trunk and branches. That would be rather stupid and a recipe for disaster

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was referring to the leaves after they are fixed to the branches for painting........sorry for the confusion. :tongue-out3: ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I don't paint the leaves after they are fixed to the branches. I have a good leaf colour mixture from Tremendus Scenics. No need to paint after applied

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Scenic foliage basically are colored for architectural mock up landscapes and are often very clinical looking. Foliage on good dioramas are often painted over the original colors to better suite the overall ambience and blend with the whole diorama or else you get a mismatch of psychedelic colors or Kew Gardens in spring. Just adding my two cents.

Cheers,
Richard