Sprue cutters

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm looking at getting a new sprue cutter because i've lost my old pair of wire cutters that i used on the sprues. There are loads out there, some really cheap and some that you'd need a mortgage for.

I was looking at the Xuron Micro Shear - Ultra Flush ones. But if anyone can recommend some for about the same price (14 quid delivered) then i'm all ears.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm looking at getting a new sprue cutter because i've lost my old pair of wire cutters that i used on the sprues. There are loads out there, some really cheap and some that you'd need a mortgage for.

I was looking at the Xuron Micro Shear - Ultra Flush ones. But if anyone can recommend some for about the same price (14 quid delivered) then i'm all ears.
Gotta be honest Alan,I`d stick to what what you`re thinking of.
I`ve been using those Xuron Micro Shears for about three years now,(Was put onto them by our very own "Andrew-adt70hk" way back then),and won`t use anything other than those again,,,, i thinking they`re simply the best you can get..... and that`s a cracking price too! :thumb2:
Andy

D

Deleted member 5496

I have a Tamiya cutter very good.

However I never cut right up to the edge of the piece. I leave
some small bit of sprue on the model piece.

Find it much better to sand that last piece & get a very smooth
undamaged cut.. However close you cut you will have to do that any way.

Found, the plastics all differ, that however sharp the cutter it tends
to bruise the model piece.

So my way just a moderately sharp cutter. Nothing expensive.

Laurie

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys. Ordered the Xuron Ultra Flush cutter. Should be better then the old wire cutters i used to have
Wise choice in my opinion Alan :thumb2: ,
Once you`ve used them i doubt you`d ever bother with a different brand.
Andy

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
With all the guys no need to go over the top price wise ,dont belive in bandying brands about your choice ,only thing I will say doesn't matter how good your snips are if its that sort of soapy plastic you won't get that satisfying snip. Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Laurie's right. All cutters work by forcing the blades through the plastic which distorts it, so you should leave a gap between the cutter blades and the model part. However - the better the blade, the less distortion you get so good quality cutters will save you a lot of work as you can cut closer. I use Xuron for modelling work and some rubbish Trumpeter snips for cutting up sprues ready for the waste bin.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gotta be honest Alan,I`d stick to what what you`re thinking of.
I`ve been using those Xuron Micro Shears for about three years now,(Was put onto them by our very own "Andrew-adt70hk" way back then),and won`t use anything other than those again,,,, i thinking they`re simply the best you can get..... and that`s a cracking price too! :thumb2:
Andy
Did I really???? Glad to hear they worked out!!!

Alan

I've got a couple of pairs, the first pair I got were on the large side.... More like wire cutters.... My fault..... So I got a smaller pair and have found them to very good.

Hope they work out for you.

As you say you can spend a fortune.... I've seen demos of the Dispae ones and they are stunningly good but at £30+ far too expensive for me.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Xuron are excellent, got a large pair of track cutters years ago and they are as good as I day I bought them…..superb on large cuts from sprue and clipping them up for the bin. Recently i bought a pair of fine cutters from games workshop and they handle well and cut pretty flush. I keep them for fine work though, don’t want to lose the great cutting edge they have.
The Dispae ones were out of my price range (I thought they eere about fifty when I looked), but seem to work a little differently, like a flush sided version of a gardeners anvil secateur. it looks like they almost shave the surface of the part to remove the sprue nib. If Monet was no object I’d try them, but he is so I shan’t!

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I bought the Dispae cutters a wee while ago and for me they are the dogs danglies making cutting fragile parts from sprues a dawdle, not to be used for cutting up sprues as really thick sprue can cause damage (according to the instructions) but for me they are well worth the £40 odd quid I paid for them.
As they say, you pays your money etc.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent Andy, great to know they work as well as described. I might save up for some!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I bought the Dispae cutters a wee while ago and for me they are the dogs danglies making cutting fragile parts from sprues a dawdle, not to be used for cutting up sprues as really thick sprue can cause damage (according to the instructions) but for me they are well worth the £40 odd quid I paid for them.
As they say, you pays your money etc.

Andy.
Glad to hear they worked. They did look impressive when I saw them in action.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks guys. Ordered the Xuron Ultra Flush cutter. Should be better then the old wire cutters i used to have
Hi Alan, You should be very satisfied with the Xuron Micro Shears, I got mine 'bout 30 years ago and have only had to resharpen them once.......good news is they cut even better after resharpening!! In 1-87 scale they cut very fine and I cut as close as possible to minimize final sanding.....real time savers

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Did I really???? Glad to hear they worked out!!!

Yep, you sure did Andrew :smiling3:
It was on another site, about 3 years ago, you recommended them to me,myself and "Ghostbuilder",(never gid find out what happened to him!! :sad: )
then promptly went and bought some.... and I'm still using the same pair today :smiling3:.
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Xuron for cutting thicker sprue but my Tamiya cutters are superb for fine work - had them four or five years now, still seemingly as sharp as Day 1, they cut superbly close and clean. They were expensive but worth every penny!
Steve

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Indeed..... Given it was Ghosty's site it was a real shame......it got of to such a good start....

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Those Xuron cutters have very good reviews and lots of people swear by them. A few years ago I bought a couple as they were so recommended. Strangely enough I couldn't get on with them for some reason. I sold them through the forum and invested in two sizes of Tamiya cutters. It was reading Steve's post that reminded me.
Jim