squadron green

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Has anyone purchased squadron green putty recently. My last tube contained a dark green hard putty the new tube has a milky green very runny product that when applied doesn't really set and peels off as opposed to sanding. Or have I brought the wrong stuff in error.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Does it say putty on it or masking? If it peels off and it's putty then you've got a duff batch.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Does it say putty on it or masking? If it peels off and it's putty then you've got a duff batch.

Hi Alan, Its definitely the putty so you may be right it may be duff or they have changed the formula.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Paul, looks like they have changed the formula :disappointed2:
Filler

Have you got the new style tube?

Does it still list toluene on the contents - that was what made it eat into the surface and stick so well?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Filler

Does it still list toluene on the contents - that was what made it eat into the surface and stick so well?
Hi Simon,
Yes it appears so. I have the new style tube with the toluene. But the contents are no where near as creamy being more like condenced milk. I will give the tube a good squeeze to mix the contents and see if it is any better but I must say I prefer the old product.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have a tube of the gray to try but still using up the green so haven’t opened it yet

I will be well cheesed off if they have ruined it, been my fave filler for thirty odd years

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have a tube of the gray to try but still using up the green so haven’t opened it yet

I will be well cheesed off if they have ruined it, been my fave filler for thirty odd years
My filler of choice as well but may have to look else where if I cant get on with this.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mine is so hard takes ages to come out of the tube

The tube I have is very hard and it takes ages to come out of the tube !

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Filler

Just watched the video and it doesnt inspire confidence! All it shows is some bloke wiping it on with his finger ! It doesn't look like it melts the plastic like the old stuff , my guess is theyve made it more safe by reducing the toluene . Really gets on my tits this , its like they're saying were not responsible enough to use it without harming ourselves . New and improved ? How many times have we seen that and it almost never is , the old version of whatever was always better , but what do we know :rolling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have had the tube stood on the cap now for about a week now and the product is now of a usable consistency not quite as stiff as the old product but usable.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Pete, I gently squeezed the tube up and down then stood it for a week ish and its usable.
Giad it work for you to what I found after standing for a week it's best to lay flat again otherwise very hard to squeeze party out.
Pete.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fed up with the Squadron tubes that have contents that go hard as the thinner dries out I've decided to try the Vallejo. Agree with Tony's post also changing things for the sake of being able to say "New Formula" and then it doesn't work as well !
download.jpeg
Any one have any thoughts please ?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn John,

I have a tube of this too and to be honest, it's not very good. I applied it to fill a small gap and let it sit for a few hours. I went back to smooth the gap and the putty just peeled away. I filled the gap again with it and let it sit for 24 hours. Went to clean up the gap and the same thing happend again. Maybe if you mix it with TET, it would stick to the plastic...

I filled the gap with Mr. Surfacer 500 and let it sit a few hours to dry. I cleaned up the gap and sanded it down and presto, it worked like a dream...

Prost
Allen

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John - I have some of that VJ putty
I don’t find it very good as a filler for anything other than fine scratches where you can wipe it in with a finger

Too plasticky consistency and doesn’t etch into the kit. Doesn’t sand very well either, tends to peel off rather than sand

I use it for stippling onto surfaces to make them look rough or making weld lines

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi I've just got some of the new formula green and grey and found the the same as Allan, Paul, I stood the tube on it cap for 3/4 day and it's now ok, Paul did the same and his is ok to.
I use V/J putty John but find it shrinks a bit and takes a time to dry, I used to use Squadron green but the vapour was to much so went for V/J putty but the new one is a lot better so have gone to it.
Pete.