Stalingrad!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks so much Tony, I appreciate your correcting my mistake :smiling3:  Really like this scratch building with foam board, am working on cobble stone street and it is loads of fun.

Modifying figures and creating this building front and street surface is a new and enjoyable adventure for me and only the first of many such projects to come I'm sure. I do believe smaller vignette type displays will be the way to go for me as I can concentrate on minute detail and not have to worry about filling in a vast and sweeping dio as was "Horror" Plus I do believe the Missus would also appreciate it as well. ^_^

I will have to go on Ebay soon to replenish figure stock but even the older basic figures kits are just fine as I do modify them so much that I can make them fit into any scenario I wish.

Though I have used buildings before in two much older dios they were old Verlinden plaster units, very nice indeed, but there's nothing like making your own.....Thanks again.....Jim :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
UPDATE:::

Had to get poor Fritz to lay properly in doorway, so under the clipper he goes, still trying to figure him out, but he shall succumb to my will -_-

Did cobble roadway, first time ever, almost seems too easy, guess it looks ok 

100_6885.JPG

100_6886.JPG

100_6884.JPG

100_6887.JPG

100_6892.JPG

100_6893.JPG

100_6891.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
enjoy watching this one take shape Jim,your doing a great job of it so far,

nice to see you using the foam board,and the cobbles look good as well,there never even or the very same size, :D

the pose on the pore guy looks great,real do like him,well done so far, :D

N

noble

This is going to be yet another masterpiece Jim, excellent work on the figures why not just have rubble in the streets that way it won't detract from your figures.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
enjoy watching this one take shape Jim,your doing a great job of it so far,

nice to see you using the foam board,and the cobbles look good as well,there never even or the very same size, :D

the pose on the pore guy looks great,real do like him,well done so far, :D

Thanks Monica, cobbles may be a bit rough around the edges, but it is my first attempt at them I will only get better in the future I think ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is going to be yet another masterpiece Jim, excellent work on the figures why not just have rubble in the streets that way it won't detract from your figures.

Thanks so much for your kind words Scott, when I previously mentioned something for the roadway, poor Heinz was what I had in mind (no vehicle) so you are spot on with your idea of just some light rubble scattered about ;)  Don't want to clog it up and want the figures to be the main theme all the way. Will concentrate on convincing authenticity when it comes to them to the best of my abilities....we'll see what happens :/ ......just wish I had more time to work on them :sad: .............Jim :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent scratch building, Jim.

To add to Scott's idea, how about once the rubble is layed out, run your fingers along to part the stuff to simulate tank tracks and general vehicles going through?

That way we could still see your great cobbles......

Ron

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks so much for your kind attention Ron, I do plan to keep debris on the light side and show cobbles even though they are my first feeble attempt. The hint of vehicle tracks is a great idea. ............Jim :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
UPDATE::

Not much time to work on stuff but did manage to do some roofing and get a wash on, will be making shake shingles from paper card. I like this scratch building stuff...it really gets the brain going.....Pitifully slow progress I'm afraid :/

100_6932.JPG

100_6931.JPG

100_6927.JPG

100_6930.JPG

0ne48thtel

UPDATE::

Not much time to work on stuff but did manage to do some roofing and get a wash on, will be making shake shingles from paper card. I like this scratch building stuff...it really gets the brain going.....Pitifully slow progress I'm afraid :/

View attachment 261593

View attachment 261592

View attachment 261591

View attachment 261590

The scratch building certainly does that Jim gets you thinking out of the box quite a bit. This is coming along very nicely sir.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
loving this Jim,the building and cobbles looks great, :D

I think Fritz,will like his doorway,the colors are great,I do real like them,

I agree with the scratch,build,it dose give you a lot of satisfaction, 9_9

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, I'm doing a bit of 'catch up'....super work and painting of the building and base.

You've found by making your own buildings etc., all you need is imagination - and you've got that by the bucket load!

Nice one.....

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
UPDATE:::

Getting some preliminary colors down, did shake shingles, they look ok I guess. Put ponchos on Ivan and Petrov and dressed Fritz and Heinz with just hints of tissue to cover seams and joints and to lend some realism to tattered clothing. As the story goes, much older Fritz tried to talk young and impetuous Heinz into sitting it out and let the Rooskies pass, but the sounds of the fast approaching cannonade made him bolt in terror. Fritz could not stand to let him go it alone and reluctantly followed, only for both to be cut down in seconds. Poor souls,Fritz leaves a wife and three children behind and Heinz's Poor mother mercifully will not have to bare the vision of his golden locks which she so loved now mangled and blood soaked as he lay dying..............CHEERS!......Jim ^_^

100_6949.JPG

100_6950.JPG

100_6951.JPG

100_6952.JPG

100_6954.JPG

100_6957.JPG

100_6956.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica