Stanford Tuck's Hurricane Mk1

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was trying to get this done for BOB day. It was a bit trickier converting Revell's Mk2 back to a Mk1 than I expected. It still has an incorrect spinner, I do plan to change it - honest!

Sadly their is a dearth of decent kits for the humble Hurricane. It is overshadowed by the Spitfire now just much as it was during its heyday.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 19552

Hurri1.jpg

C

Caledonia

Steve,A beauty, makes me even more determined to have a go at a Hurricane shortly, your paintwork looks fantastic.Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
fantastic,steve. ive really got a soft spot for big scale hurricanes,revells 1/32 tropical version was the first 'big' model i did as a kid. i bought it on a day trip to cleethorpes with the working mens club!back in the days when every paper shop used to sell models! seeing your brilliant job makes me want to get another one, well done keep it up cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Why thank you gentlemen for your kind words. More Hurricanes I say, a much under rated machine and my fave Brit.

Caledonia, the exterior paints are Xtracrylix. Apart from some post shading the colours are sprayed as they come. I've converted to acrylics now and am finally getting to grips with spraying them. It took a while and I did "relapse" on one occasion but am a convert now!

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Steve, I was at the Leuchars Airshow last Saturday, fabulous weather, the Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire were their, one interesting fact they quoted was that 80% of the kill's during World War II, was by Hurricanes. I always have a soft spot for the underdog. The Hurricane has always been my favourite too. I am looking to buy the forthcoming 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane Mk IIC, now that you have inspired me. Thanks for the paint info. I used Tamiya acrylic for my last build, the 1/32 Trumpeter MIG 29M, but am using Xtracolor for my present build the 1/32 Trumpeter Sukhoi SU-27B, mainly because of the available colours. Thanks Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Your model does look great.

I too, am starting to see the Hurricane in a different light. I always liked the Spitfire, but now, I'm just completing my second Hurricane - yes, there is some attraction to the old dear !

J

john bibby

hi Stona. I am currantly building this kit, I cut sanded and removed bits to make it look like a Mk1 but now having trouble with the wings attaching to the fuselage they dont match up very well , did you have the same problem and if so how did you get over it. Still think its a great kit though,

ALL the best John.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi John, I don't remember any terrible fit issues with the wings. I do remember doing a little filing/sanding on a couple of the lugs that attach the wings. I did sort out a little step at the leading edge root, inexplicabally only on one side! Apart from that I'm sure the only filler I used was a couple of squirts of thick C.A. at the roots.

I agree that the kit makes a nice Hurricane, I just wish someone would do a straight up MkI at 1/32

Cheers

Steve