Star Wars Slave I in progress

B

beav1013

Finally decided it was time to do my Slave I. So far i have most of it together and primed, letting that cure before i start painting. i got some liquid frisket that i'm going to try out to do the paint chipping. first time doing that.

it's in 1/72 scale. the standing boba fett is about an inch long. Here are completed pics of the boba fett figures and the cockpit. There are 2 fett's, one for the cockpit and one outside. the kit came with a metal mold of han solo in carbonite. i'm going to try and set it up on the side of the base with the carbonite floating and fett on one side and 2 storm troopers on the other.

i'll post more pics as my painting progresses. going to be tough.

View attachment 31643

View attachment 31644

View attachment 31645

View attachment 31646

View attachment 31647

View attachment 31648

DSCN2928.jpg

DSCN2935.jpg

DSCN2945.jpg

DSCN2943.jpg

DSCN2944.jpg

DSCN2926.jpg

B

beav1013

some update pics

still working on it. went on a bit of a vacation to florida, so i'm a little behind. but the painting is coming along. the back of the model is almost done. still have to do some painting touch ups, but i'm pleased with it for the most part.

the front and the fuselage part only has the light base color on right now. need to get the chipping going. i have some liquid frisket that i'm going to use for that. hopefully i'll get started on that this weekend.

i have the back dry fitted together in one pic. it's coming together. i think so far this has been my favorite model i've worked on. the painting is a real challenge.

View attachment 31996

View attachment 31997

View attachment 31998

View attachment 31999

View attachment 32000

View attachment 32001

View attachment 32002

DSCN2974.jpg

DSCN2976.jpg

DSCN2979.jpg

DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN2973.jpg

DSCN2977.jpg

DSCN2978.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

That is quite amazing detail you have managed to get there. is the kit straight out of the box or have you added detail?

The wethering textures and finishes work superbly and make for a very realistic look that is going to look superb when completed. Lovely paint job on the figure as well, I remember painting my own 1/72nd pilots as a youngster and feeling pleased if I got a blob of flesh paint on the face!

B

beav1013

thanks guys.

Rich, that's all just right out of the box. the fine molds kits have lots of details. all very impressive kits from what i've seen.

B

beav1013

A little progress

Here's what i've been working on for about a week at this point.

i used liquid frisket in 2 stages to get this chipping effect. a little got smudged on the top when i tried to clean it off, rubbing off the frisket left lots of little paint chips on the black areas. i used a stiff brush to wipe them off, but some got embedded. when i tried to lightly rub them off with a q-tip dampened with thinner i got a little smudging.

i still need to clear coat, wash, and do some blending so hopefully it fades into the background.

this was very fun, tiresome, and frustrating at the same time.

View attachment 32327

View attachment 32328

View attachment 32329

View attachment 32330

DSCN2983.jpg

DSCN2984.jpg

DSCN2986.jpg

DSCN2985.jpg

B

beav1013

quick tip for entirely removing acrylic paint...

ok, so i really didnt like the way the shell turned out after looking at it. i tried to remove it be soaking the whole thing in some rubbing alcohol all night then rubbing it with paper towels. that only partially worked, some parts got gunky. i was very sad.

then i went online and saw that oxi-clean can remove tamiya acrylic paint. so i put some hot water in a bucket and 2 tablespoons of oxi clean. five minutes later, back to the bare plastic. beautiful. back to square one, but i'm very happy with what the oxi clean did.

not sure if you guys have oxi clean over in britain, but if anyone is unhappy with their acrylic paint results and wants to start over, use oxi clean.

M

m1ks

That looks pretty cool, I was always a fan of Boba Fett, thought he was very cool and didn't mind looking a bit beat up and dusty either :smiling3:

We do indeed have Oxi-clean here in Scotland and them foreigners in england-shire do too I believe :smiling3: , That's a cracking little tip and one to add to the pile.

Apparently Fairy power spray does a cracking job of stripping paint too, don't know if you have that over there but have heard a few folks mention that one.

B

beav1013

never heard of fairy power spray. i was amazed at what the oxi clean did. i scrubbed that thing for like 20 minutes with tamiya thinnner and it was barely coming off. 5 minutes with oxi clean and it was back to the original plastic. didnt attack it or warp or anything.

i definitely overdid the chipping on attempt #1. already restarted #2: less chipping and definitely dialing down the pink a notch or two. hopefully this one turns out better.

C

CDW

\ said:
them foreigners in england-shire do too I believe :smiling3: ,
It was in the supermarkets in the midlands when i lived south of the border a few years ago

\ said:
Apparently Fairy power spray does a cracking job
Was reading onine recently about a guy who had (found) a load of "imperial guard" figures totally clogged with thick paint and this spray sorted them out perfectly. ... i'll take this tip onboard for when i happen to mess up at any time ... always good to have a "get out of jail free card"

B

backonthecase

Another good one for removing acrylics (does nothing to enamels) is Tesco value general purpose cleaner (like a fake version of Flash), soak overnight or the longest i think i've had was for 3 days, no harm to the plastic, a quick rinse and toothbrush under cold water and it's a job well done.

As for the Slave I, I love this machine, always on my "to buy" list! you've done a brilliant job with it so far keep it up!

N

noble

this is looking very nice indeed the detail and paint work look excellent.

scott

B

beav1013

thanks guys. i put the new pink coat down last night, this one is much more subdued, i'd say more purple than pink. but i like it 100% more. and i cut down on the number of chipped areas. i plan on doing the top layer (hull red) tonight. hopefully that goes well. more pics to follow.

B

beav1013

Here's the updated paint chipping job. toned down the pink a lot and did some more shading to add some depth. just put the clear coat on it (after the pics), so still need to some more highlighting and put the wash on there. but i'm much more pleased with this outcome than the first go round. also threw in a pic of the back with the wash done and dry brushing done. might do some touch ups but that piece is pretty much done. (the dish doesn't have 2 pieces glued in yet).

it's coming along. i aim to start the fuselage part either tomorrow night or thursday. more chipping with the frisket...

View attachment 32520

View attachment 32521

View attachment 32522

View attachment 32523

View attachment 32524

DSCN2989.jpg

DSCN2990.jpg

DSCN2992.jpg

DSCN2987.jpg

DSCN2988.jpg

B

beav1013

I finished the hull last night. was in the middle of putting on the flat clear when my compressor broke. it apparently doesn't want to regulate itself anymore. looks like i'm going to need to get a new one. very sad.

anyway. still haven't started on the fuselage paint chipping, but i'm pretty happy with the way this part turned out. whenever i get my compressor situated i might put another flat coat on. this one is still a little too glossy for my tastes right now.

hope you like.

View attachment 32577

View attachment 32578

View attachment 32579

View attachment 32580

View attachment 32581

View attachment 32582

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2998.jpg

DSCN2996.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

DSCN2995.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

N

noble

Jim this is looking top notch mate can't wait to see it together.

scott

B

beav1013

thanks scott. we'll see what becomes of my compressor problems. looking like i'll have to get a new one. hopefully i can be up and running again by this weekend.