Starfighter TF-104G 1/48 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

Hi again all, my next project. First a photo of one taken by myself at RNAS Lossiemouth 1967, and my insperation. Those who saw them fly will tell you of the ghostly noise their engine made, it sticks in the memory always. This was the first Mach 2 American fighter, however due to late delivery the Americans adopted other types, and the F-104 became the mainstay of a lot of NATO airforces. It had the unfortunate nick names of the 'widowmaker' in Europe and the 'lawn dart' in America as there was a large amount of accidents with them the Luftwaffe lost over 100 aircraft (yes 100). One American pilot is quoted as saying 'you need the fingers of a concert pianist to fly it'.

Anyway, I attach some photos of the kit, first appearances it that it is very detailed with nice subdued panel lines and rivets. Decals for the Luftwaffe and Italian Airforce are included. I, because of my photo, will be doing the Luftwaffe version. Surprisingly the box says 144 pieces, my RN Phantom was only 127 pieces on the box.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 24028

View attachment 24029

View attachment 24030

View attachment 24031

View attachment 24032

View attachment 24033

View attachment 24034

View attachment 24035

P4.jpg

P3.jpg

P2.jpg

P1.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

This is one of the best looking airplanes ever, and I would give my left arm for a good 1/48 or even 32 F104!

Here is the way I personally like them, all shiny! BUT, it must have the tiptanks on!:twisted:

Keep us posted

Theuns

View attachment 24036

800px-F-104_right_side_view.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Theuns.

I'm not absolutely sure what you mean by a 'good' 1/32 F 104 but Revel do several in that scale which certainly look good to me. I've not seen anything bad about them in a couple of reviews I've looked at - and they crop up on ebay quite regularly. I got one from one of the shows I went to last year and it only cost me about £20.

Gern

T

T. van Vuuren

By good I mean that an average modler can build and don't have to fight the thing all the way! ;)

I will have a look , must get my grubby little hans on one. Just lithe a Mk9 Spit, the 104's lines are just right!

T

F

Fenlander

Brings back a memory Derek and I apologise if I have told it before. Many years ago I went to the Air Show at, what was, RAF Finningley now Robin Hood Airport(?) at Finningley near Doncaster South Yorkshire. This was in the days of proper air shows where the idea of not flying over the crowd was laughed at. At one show, the first Starfighter I had ever seen in the flesh was due to perform a takeoff and display. I believe that it was a Dutch aircraft but cannot be certain. Anyway, time came for it to go and it wouldn't start!

Lots of bangs and coughing noises from the end of the runway led to the organisers calling a halt to the display and brought forward the next, and last, item. To be honest, I cannot remember what the replacement display was as I was fascinated by the noises coming from the Starfighter. As it was the last display, everyone was clapping and starting to walk away from the flightpath when after what I can only describe as a really loud fart the Statrfighter lit up. The announcer said that all was now fine and the Starfighter would be taking off and departing. Nobody took much notice as the crowd headed towards the car parks. The pilot was having none of this and screamed down the runway at full power, took a tight turn and flew really low straight across the crowd on afterburner. The smell of burning paraffin and the heat from this gorgeous aircraft will stick in my mind for a very long time.

Most of the spectators stopped where they were and this guy threw that dart around the skies as if his life depended on it. It was far the best display I have ever seen at an air show and now the tighter regulations have come in, it will probably never happen again. A true crowd stopper.

It did strike us as funny though as we drove home talking about the most ill fated type flying at the time, flying over the crowd with an obvious problem. Those were the days.

Really look foreword to seeing this progress and thanks for bringing back a special memory.

D

dubster72

This is a beautiful (if deadly!) aircraft & I'll watch with interest as it takes shape.

Graham's account reminded me of a trip to Biggin Hill with my dad when I was around 12-13. We were in the beer tent (it's only a shandy mum!) & heard a ripping noise that swelled to ear-bleedingly loud levels incredibly quickly, followed by a ringing 'boom'. As most of the other people dropped to the floor, my dad & I ran out and were greeted with a sight that I've never forgotten.

5 Starfighters going straight up on full 'burner!

They must have broken Mach 1 as they arrived over the field & just kept on accelerating even while going vertical. Now that's something I'll never see again!

C

Caledonia

Graham, Patrick, thanks for sharing your memories. Yes those days are never to be repeated unfortunately, when fuel bills etc were never considered. The German and Dutch Starfighters were always at Leuchars and Lossiemouth in the 1960's and were certainly crowd pleasers. In a similar vane to your experiences Graham, Leuchars had two squadrons of EE Lightning’s, and when every one was going back to the car park, you wouldn't hear them till it was too late, four Lightning’s would come in at tree height from St. Andrews and just as they got overhead they would stand on their tails and go vertical. Absolutely everything shook, and when you think their climb rate was 55,000 ft/min you can imagine the sound from those 8 Avon Engines on full reheat - halcyon days indeed.

C

Caledonia

Hi all, got the cockpit tub fitted into the fuselage, the ejection seats assembled, and the basic wings on. The nose wheel well came as a separate panel, the main undercarriage well came in 4-pieces and the flame pipe came in 4-pieces also. Generally everything is a good fit, some excellent molding by Hasegawa. Been down loading some photos of the ejection seats fitted by the Luftwaffe so that I can paint them more realistically. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24231

View attachment 24232

View attachment 24233

View attachment 24234

3-TF104G.jpg

4-TF104G.jpg

5-TF-104G.jpg

6-TF104G.jpg

C

Caledonia

Still bashing the plastic, fitted the slats and flaps, wing tip tanks, tail and rudder, and on the underside the arrestor hook and dorsal fin. A very well fitting kit, have not used any filler yet. The best fitting Hasagawa kit I have made so far, almost zero flash, or seam lines, and the panel and rivet details are excellent. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24288

View attachment 24289

View attachment 24290

9-TF104G.jpg

8-TF104G.jpg

7-TF104G.jpg

C

Caledonia

Been busy this week so not much progress, got the intakes on and painted the ejector seats with some wear. Started making some home made harnesses for the seats so that I can finish the cockpit and seal it up ready for painting. I super glue the seats to the lid of a container for painting. Provided you go easy on the glue, it breaks off easily. Cheers

View attachment 24488

View attachment 24489

View attachment 24490

10-TF104G.jpg

11-TF104G.jpg

12-TF104G.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now thats a seat!

Nice work Derek.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ian, have now taken the seats as far as I want, these are based on the actual seats the Luftwaffe substituted for the American ones (all out of the box with Tamiya tape and bent wire added). Have simplified the harnesses somewhat, as the real thing looks like spaghetti junction. Have outfitted the cockpit tub and masked and fitted the 5-piece canopy, glued it with Klear; will leave overnight to cure. Have also fitted the radome. With a bit of luck might get round to start painting tomorrow. Good fitting kit, have not used any filler. Cheers

View attachment 24514

View attachment 24515

View attachment 24516

View attachment 24517

View attachment 24518

13-TF104G.jpg

14-TF104G.jpg

15-TF104G.jpg

16-TF104G.jpg

17-TF104G.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi derek , fantastic job on the seats well done, always good to see a nicely detailed seat when the canopy is quite large like this one. Coming along great now , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Really nice work on the cockpit Derek. It is going to be a cracker.

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments chaps, a bit of a delay in painting. The kit calls for the underside to be FS36320 (dark compass ghost grey in lifecolor), but from the photo's I have from 1967, the underside was much lighter. Looking up the internet last night, I found reference from ex luftwaffe technicians, that in or around 1967 the underside was painted RAL 9006 = white aluminium. This paint weathered fairly quickly to a light grey. This would tie in with my photo's and recollections. So I am experiment with paint to arrive at a light grey with a hit of metallic. Will post details of my final brew. Cheers.

p.s. Tony does the seats qualify me for becoming a junior s**t house rat??

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks for your comments chaps, a bit of a delay in painting. The kit calls for the underside to be FS36320 (dark compass ghost grey in lifecolor), but from the photo's I have from 1967, the underside was much lighter. Looking up the internet last night, I found reference from ex luftwaffe technicians, that in or around 1967 the underside was painted RAL 9006 = white aluminium. This paint weathered fairly quickly to a light grey. This would tie in with my photo's and recollections. So I am experiment with paint to arrive at a light grey with a hit of metallic. Will post details of my final brew. Cheers.p.s. Tony does the seats qualify me for becoming a junior s**t house rat??
Definitely derek, well have you doing a 1/144 fighter yet!!! ps wait till you see the cats , all will be revealed soon . cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, 1/144 scale!!! wooo I am still a junior, got to finish my apprenticeship still.

Anyway the story continues. Got all of the airbrushing finished. For the underside I settled on a mix of Tamiya paints as follows.

2-parts XF-2 (flat white)

2-parts XF-19 (sky grey)

1-part XF-16 (flat aluminium) quite pleased with it, its a pale grey with a small fleck of aluminium.

For the topsides base coat I used the kit recommendation of GSI aqueous hobby color H53 (neutral grey). After masking again used the kit recommendation GSI H64 (RMI71 dark green). After more masking used GSI H74 (duck egg green on the radome. As I had some Tamiya Orange X-6 used this instead of the GSI one. For the patch on top of the radome mixed approx 50/50 Tamiya XF-65 (field grey) and XF-2 (flat white).

First time I have used GSI acrylic, excellent paint like Tamiya but finish is a sheen, and much more scratch resistant than Tamiya. Will remove all the masking tape tomorrow once I have had the operation to remove the airbrush from my fingers.

Cheers

View attachment 24546

View attachment 24547

View attachment 24548

View attachment 24549

View attachment 24550

View attachment 24551

View attachment 24552

View attachment 24553

View attachment 24554

18-TF104G.jpg

19-TF104G.jpg

20-TF104G.jpg

21-TF104G.jpg

22-TF104G.jpg

23-TF104G.jpg

24-TF104G.jpg

25-TF104G.jpg

26-TF104G.jpg

C

Caledonia

This is it with all the masking removed except the cockpit where there is some additional colours to be added. Will coat the model in micro gloss, add the decals and some light weathering as I have only seen clean Luftwaffe Starfighters, and add the wheels, exhaust nozzle and some nav lights. So this will be my last 'under construction' posting for this model. Will post some photos of the finished aircraft in the 'Aircraft Photo' section in a few days. Overall one of the best detailed kits I have bought to date. Highly recommended for those who have a couple of kits under their belt. Almost no flash or seam lines, the kit can be made without any filler if you take care and obviously do a dry fit on everything. Hope this posting has been useful. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24556

View attachment 24557

27-TF104G.jpg

28-TF104G.jpg

Last edited: