Starter Tank

First Name
Neil
Hello,

It's my birthday soon so my wife insists on buying me something (despite me buying some kits as an early birthday present earlier in the year) but I always do and always have done aircraft.

I want to do a tank, in particular a newer one rather than an older one so a Challenger/2 or Abrams maybe? Budget will only be about £25 give or take £5. What would be a decent, newer tooling (less flash, pin marks etc) of these and better scale - it will be brush painting as well.

I know Tamiya do a Chieftain, Challenger2 and Abrams. Anyone built any of these?

Neil

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Tamiya do the challenger 1 for around £30 , I haven't built one myself but from what I've read it's a great kit :smiling3:

The chieftain is a great kit and under £20

C

callmehobbes

Does it have to be a tank? There's loads of AFV's out there plus softskins. Look at trumpeter, bronco and hobbyboss for starters. Picking out the model is half the fun.

First Name
Neil
Yep, I want to make a tank and in this case my wife wants to buy it - so if I give her a few options, she can buy it and I will be somewhat surprised and happy whichever it is. If she gives me the money to buy it then that will make her feel less than happy about it - so I don't get to exactly choose it, just provide a limited range of options - so I will know the basic what but not the exact what and we'll both be happy.

Neil

S

steve scan

Tamiya Challenger 1 is an excellent kit, Trumpeter do several versions of the Challenger 2 these build up nice and can be found very cheaply, their Chally 2 with bar armour is a great kit. also Revell and Hobbyboss do some excellent Leopard 2 kits, also very affordable.

First Name
Neil
Thanks for that guys. I'll put a few in an amazon wish list and she can choose from that.

Neil

J

jono

Hi Neil, I have done both the Tamiya Abrams & Challenger 1 tanks & found them great builds. Of the two I think the Abrams was the slightly easier of the builds... Not so many small parts lol, good luck with whichever you decide on...

T

tommy1drop

Hi Neil I`ve got the Cyber hobby Abrams with mine plough under way at the moment, great kit with lots of bits, I`ve also got the Trumpeter Challenger op Telic, this also looks like a great kit to build, you can also get the Academy Abrams, nice kit with lots of bits and bobs;)

N

noble

I've built the Tamiya desertised challenger 2, this is a very good kit with no fit issues a nice kit if you have never done one before, it comes in around the £27.00 mark.

scott

S

skipyy77

I just bought my son a tamiya M4A3 tank, it was around £15 and very detailed for an older kit please you get accessories i.e. figures, ammo boxes, spare tracks etc.

It's not a british fighting tank but these were used by GB during WW2. A decent starter kit with clear instructions and not far too many parts.

First Name
Neil
Academy M1A1 (Iraq 2003) - got it from my wife for my birthday but been too busy to do any modelling at all since then :sad: