Starting my First Diorama

C

Calypso

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to get started on my first diorama but I have a question. I'm having trouble finding any ruined building kits, or any building kits for that matter, to assemble and paint in order to produce a street scene of inland Normandy in the days succeeding June 6th 1944. Has anybody got any suggestions on where to look? I know that airfix do a shelled out cafe, but that's about as much as they do?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just one thing you've left out Jamie, what scale are you working in bud? If you're doing 1:35 scale then give these a look.

Great North Roads 1/35 Corner House Ruin Diorama # 012

Great North Roads 1/35 French Street Diorama # 024

Great North Roads 1/35 Cafe Flats Ruin # MW3509

Great North Roads 1/35 Factory Ruin # MW3512

Great North Roads 1/35 Town House Ruin # MW3513

Great North Roads 1/35 Shop Ruin # MW3515

Great North Roads 1/35 Workshop Ruin # MW3517

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jamie, another good place to look is ebay. Go to Model kits, scenery and buildings.

Cheers,

Ron

C

Calypso

Thanks for the ideas guys. :smiling3:

Centurion: The models you've suggested are perfect in the way they look and the effect which they give, but I am working on 1:72 scale and I can't find any such models in that scale on the same site? Perhaps 1:72 is an unpopular scale for World War 2 modelling?

Spanner: Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought of eBay as a source, I'll definitely have a look.

Jamie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome aboard Jamie.

Ron is right about ebay. I just had a quick look and found 5 pages of stuff. Not all suitable obviously and some looked a bit expensive but at least you know there are some kits available!

Best of luck with your search. Will you be able to put some pictures up when you start? We ALL like pics!

Gern

B

backonthecase

Jamie, maybe MiniArt will have something in 1:72. They do a range of vac form building fronts. Might be worth a look. Also Fields of Glory were quite common on ebay for a while, but i think again they were 1:35.

HTH

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jamie, I forgot to mention, Pegasus Hobbies do some nice 1/72 figures and buildings. Most model stockists have them and ebay too.

If you're looking for some nice reasonably priced armour in 1/72, the above do 2 'quick build' in a box for around £7.00, cracking models. Italeri do the same thing (2for1) for the same money. I have made this make and they are cracking little kits.

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
In the case then Jamie try wargaming stuff, i've picked up some great things in 1:72 scale. Places like Games workshop will stock all sorts of knocked out buildings, Conflix, Pegasus. I've just been looking and found this little lot and i'll admit, i'll be getting some of this stuff too.

Have fun, John

Pegasus Hobbies 1/72 Gothic City Building set 1 # 4924

Pegasus Hobbies 1/72 Gothic City Building set 2 # 4925

Italeri 1/72 Country House # 6074

Italeri 1/72 Berlin House # 6086

Italeri 1/72 WWII Walls and Ruins # 6087

Italeri 1/72 Walls and Ruins II # 6090

Italeri 1/72 Church # 6129

Italeri 1/72 Stone House # 6140

Great North Roads 1/72 The Village Part 1 # 034

Military model kits 1/72 Model Hobbies Plastic model kits and diecast models for the enthusiast Military model kits 1/72

C

Calypso

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to opt for some Fields of Glory 1:72 stuff, a couple of houses to sit side by side on a steet with a Churchill tank and a group of British infantry marching by. Maybe some German prisoners will end up in the march? Who knows! I was going to go for a battle scene, but have since realised that I'd need far too many buildings to get a length of street long enough for a battle to take place. Maybe next time!

Jamie

R

Richy C

Jamie , word of warning mate , don`t make a huge dio by that I mean a large base unless you have lots of room to display it , when I first got into dio`s I made that mistake and halfway through I was thinking this looks good and then thought when finnished what the hell am I gonna do with it , it is half finnished and now in the loft , a small diorama can and does speak many words if thought out no matter what scale , keep one maybe two things at most as a focal point then add a few things around it , trust me it works,

Richy