Starting off my Grandsons

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I would like to introduce my two Grandsons, aged 7 & 9 to plastic kits
Do you think that is too young? Obviously they would have some help & supervision from me and their parents, though my daughter never made any kits, and my SIL just made a couple when he was a boy
I would do the job properly, including teaching/helping them with glue, craft knives, acrylic paint, and other tools
I did send the boys a couple of Airfix Quick Assembly models for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I hear that they enjoyed them very much

Is the small Humbrol tool kit AG9150 any good? at least to get started, and I would add a few other items

I've been browsing King Kit's website for cheap kits to start them off, and have seen Hobby Boss Easy Assembly and Starfix kits
They don't seem to be very accurate, but for now that doesn't really matter, so do you think those kits would be OK to learn on?

I'll post again when I've got my shopping list together, but in the meantime I would appreciate any other comments and advice

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Zulu,
as long as they're closely supervised, and they want to make models, 7 & 9 is great.
As for models - forget Starfix! they're poor and for a first model you want something that goes together well, and you end up with a good looking model! The HobbyBoss quick assembly kits would be ideal - even though they are simple to put together, they are detailed enough for any modeller!
I made the Mitsubishi Claude - in 1/72
P1060430.JPG
...and the P-38 Lightning in 1/48
P1060495.JPG

There are a a wide selection of HB easy assembly models, including Spitfire & Hurricane, and 50's jets
As for tools the Humbrol kit looks OK, but remember - it has a sharp knife in it. Glue - I use Revell Contacta - it has a thin metal nozzle that doesn't squte everywhere!. Paints & brushes depends on the model - but go for Acrylic paints, they're eater based, easy to clean up & they don't smell!
Any questions - ask away, we all started somewhere!
Dave

D

Deleted member 5496

No Zulu started 3 (now 4) of my grandsons Matthew Thomas & Samuel on the road. They have veered off now think girls etc.

But one still has his Typoon WW11 on his shelf now 18. They were about same ages as your grandsons at that time.

My 3 started on just ordinary kits with the paints & cement attached must have been Airfix stuff. 1/72 as there are not to many pieces need simplicity. All single engine less detailed. Just use all the stuff you have. Wait until they show a continuing interest before further investment in tools.

First sleeves rolled up out of the way. Second a PINAFORE which wraps around. Third kitchen roll EACH..

Put my three in the garage. Tell them it is cement not glue I did a short course or you will be littered with cement. Tell them to keep it out of their hair.

Lots of argument on how does this go (chuckling away inside so funny). But also a lot of chat & laughter other times absolute quiet.. However they came back a second time to finish them off. Amazed as they were so interested & stuck to it (not literally :rolling:). They cracked it & finished. There was some major differences in quality.. Interesting to see the characters in each showing thro. That will do, best possible persut of perfection.

Last. Paint can get every where :tongue-out3: ;):cold-sweat:

Best of luck Zulu ;) Give us the low down on progress.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi zuludog

As Dave has suggested so called quick build or easy build kits will be the way to go, especially for the younger one. My son was six when I started him on the hobby and the normal Airfix fair where too complicated for him.

Airfix have just released a couple of these kits in 1/72. A Firefly and a Tiger I.

There is also a company called the plastic soldier company which does a wide range of these sorts of kits that always contains at least 2 and normally 3 kits per box for around £20. The slight downside is that they don't come with any decals as there are aimed at wargamers who have a ready supply in the stash.

There is also a company called Armourfast, which do super simple kits again aimed at wargamers. Currently going for less than £9 for two kits per box. Of the two to the plastic soldier ones are of a better quality and you often get more than one AFV option in the box.

If you're interested in 1/72 AFVs have a look at this site.....https://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

Good luck.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you go down the HobbyBoss route - this is what you can expect
spitfire box.jpg
spit in 01.jpgspit in 02.jpgspit in 03.jpg
I just chose the Spitfire as one of the most recogniseable aircraft, at around £6 great value!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
As a teacher of primary age children for 35 years I would give some simple advice.
Hard as it is try to only advise and support but let the boys do it themselves. They will make a mess, be impatient, get glue all over and you will cringe at the end product but it will be their's. Children need plenty of praise and encouragement for their efforts. I think it is wonderful to show youngsters that there is more to life than phones, TwitterTube and Facebox. :tongue-out3:
All credit to you Granddad :thumb2:
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

zuludog

SMF Supporter
If you go down the HobbyBoss route - this is what you can expect
View attachment 419881
View attachment 419878View attachment 419879View attachment 419880
I just chose the Spitfire as one of the most recognisable aircraft, at around £6 great value!
Dave
That looks interesting; where can you get it for £6 please?

We lived in north west England, but my daughter & family now live in Dursley, near Gloucester
Are there any model shops in the area please? Or anything else that might interest them. Thanks

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
When I started my boys, we shared a bench until they got the hang of it. Yeah, girls & sports pretty much put an end to it although they both still appreciate the hobby. PaulE

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

We lived in north west England, but my daughter & family now live in Dursley, near Gloucester
Are there any model shops in the area please? Or anything else that might interest them. Thanks
Try HERE. Only £5 on this site.

As they're quite a niche product, it is highly likely you are either going to have to pay postage and packaging or you'll have to spend £7-8 without p&p.

Have a quick search on the internet for hobby boss easy assembly and you will come across plenty of sites selling them. Have a good search especially on places like eBay because occasionally you will come across a real bargain.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Zulu.......I agree with Dave on the kit........at that age the less parts the better and the price is the other consideration. I wouldn't worry too much about "modeling tools" for 7 and 9 year olds, as a child all I wanted to do was get the parts of the sprue and get some glue on it so's I could stick it together. Don,t overwhelm them with sink hole puttying and such.....let 'em build and have fun. If they take an interest and start getting serious, then you will be able to introduce them to the "refinements" that go into building a better model than the last one. Keep it simple.......keep it fun! :thumb2: Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

PM sent!
Dave

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
No Zulu started 3 (now 4) of my grandsons Matthew Thomas & Samuel on the road. They have veered off now think girls etc.

But one still has his Typoon WW11 on his shelf now 18. They were about same ages as your grandsons at that time.

My 3 started on just ordinary kits with the paints & cement attached must have been Airfix stuff. 1/72 as there are not to many pieces need simplicity. All single engine less detailed. Just use all the stuff you have. Wait until they show a continuing interest before further investment in tools.

First sleeves rolled up out of the way. Second a PINAFORE which wraps around. Third kitchen roll EACH..

Put my three in the garage. Tell them it is cement not glue I did a short course or you will be littered with cement. Tell them to keep it out of their hair.

Lots of argument on how does this go (chuckling away inside so funny). But also a lot of chat & laughter other times absolute quiet.. However they came back a second time to finish them off. Amazed as they were so interested & stuck to it (not literally :rolling:). They cracked it & finished. There was some major differences in quality.. Interesting to see the characters in each showing thro. That will do, best possible persut of perfection.

Last. Paint can get every where :tongue-out3: ;):cold-sweat:

Best of luck Zulu ;) Give us the low down on progress.

Laurie
Having attempted my two sons into this at a similar age I have to say Laurie:

Nail.on.head.

Del

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As a teacher of primary age children for 35 years I would give some simple advice.
Hard as it is try to only advise and support but let the boys do it themselves. They will make a mess, be impatient, get glue all over and you will cringe at the end product but it will be their's. Children need plenty of praise and encouragement for their efforts. I think it is wonderful to show youngsters that there is more to life than phones, TwitterTube and Facebox. :tongue-out3:
All credit to you Granddad :thumb2:
Jim
Absolutely right! I have a four year old grandson who has taken a shine to my drums. I just let him bang away at anything (except his little brother). Eventually he asked me to show him how to hold the sticks. We even play games with the metronome but it's never long before just banging is more fun. FUN is key.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I'm getting a shopping list together

While I was Surfing t'Net I came across Gundam models
Well I started with the Airfix kits in plastic bags and progressed from there, but this was the first time I'd heard of Gundam
It seems there are fantasy figures made by Bandai but they look a bit complicated and expensive for my Grandsons for now

However they are made up in a similar way to the usual plastic model kits, and there are various tool kits aimed at that market
The small kit has much of what I need, containing sprue cutters, an Xacto type knife, tweezers, and emery boards, and I'll add a few other things myself

Sorry, but my computer skills are even worse than my model making skills and I don't know how to post links, but if you Search Google & Amazon for '8 piece Gundam tool kit' you'll find it
It looks reasonable enough and has decent reviews, does anyone else know anything about it?

I never bothered with all this fantasy stuff like Dragons & Dungeons, Warhammer and all the rest of it, but if the boys discover it in future, well that's fair enough, at least they will be making & doing something

D

Deleted member 5496

Zuludog.

Posting links.

Put in Google( or what you use) search what you are after.

Mouse Click on the item you want to open it up.

In the search bar there will appear an address for this item

Starting at the end hold down left mouse & drag the whole length of the address.

In Scale models to put in this address. Click at point you want address copied too in the topic reply.

Right click mouse. Click on PASTE Voila. Hope it helps

Laurie

Love to know your real name ;)

zuludog

SMF Supporter

Laurie
Thanks for your help
I tried your method but it didn't work, so from the back of my mind I tried a half forgotten Cut & Paste method from a computer course I went on years ago
It looks like it's worked, hopefully I'll get better in future

I think the tool kit looks reasonable enough. I'll add a few things and post my provisional shopping list in the near future

Last edited:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Zuludog, when 50 years ago my granpa bought me my first kit (see pic for reference) and a tube of cement I was about 7 y.o. and I still think that it was the best gift I could ever have had even if I made a mess of it :smiling:.
So my advice is... give them plastic, cement and some waterbased paint and let them enjoy it without too much mentoring, unless they ask for it.

Type 3 Fiat G50.jpg
Andrea