Steam train restoration yard

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all my daughter and son wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas ( they knew it would be model related)

So I thought long and hard about what to ask for, i wanted something different and I've come up with a dio which could go on for years or finish fairly quickly depending on how I feel it's going.

I lost my dad this yr and one of the things which stands out in my mind (apart from the tall ships and ive had enough of those for now) (ive got 3 stalled tall ship builds 1 unstarted and the Bismarck and KGV on the go) anyway i digress was helping him with his railway layout (which at the time was huge he even built boxes which went round the garden and back in the house, all with removable lids to deal with derailment and such.

Anyway we live near the Colne Valley Railway so I thought I would relive some of my childhood and build a railyard dio of trains in various stages of repair. I figure this to be an enthusiast who is just interested in steam so it will have rolling stock and trains from all over the world. There had a lot of 1/87 - 1/72 Steam train and rolling stock kits availiable so no loss of choice.

I'm looking forward to this, i see it as a loooooooooooong term build (with really no end result in mind) as long as I think of ideas I can just keep adding to it (who knows maybe I will even add some working trains) anyway I have bought a model to start it all off.

The first thing any steam train museum needs is a station

6ibt5v.jpg

Last time I built a card board rail building I was in my teens, my brother was a glint in my dad's eyes and discos were the new place to be.

This contains laser cut parts, lasers were things of science fiction movies in those days.

I'm open to all ideas and recommendations of kits and buildings (keep in mind this is a side line build so no expensive kits as my main money for modelling will go for my main modelling)

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Ken
Metcalfe and Superquick do really nice inexpensive building kits. Also trawl ebay for the old airfix loco kits these would make great little restoration projects for yours.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks Mick I know in my dad's day there were 100s of card kits, i think it's now all n gauge I think something like a biggin hill class loco is only a couple of inches long in that scale. I saw a kit in a shop a while ago and I think if I remember right the whole layout was only 1 metre long. I can't imagine there is much detail in that scale. I certainly couldn't build in that scale I doubt I would see half the stuff.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I totally agree. I'm just working towards my new model room so I can start again. It's definitely not a cheap hobby these days. OO gauge is what I'm doing again.

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
HI Ken. I'll hunt out all the, oo gauge house's and trains, if I can I'll puthem Into boxes ready for you this week end I think theres some flexi track as well not sure the but i'll check ok.

D

Deleted member 3568

Made a start on the card model

IMG-20181120-554.jpg

IMG-20181120-0490.jpg

They are incredibly strong considering they are only cardboard.

How do you weather these card models?

james pithouse

First Name
James
Nice work Ken, keep them pics coming. Found you and old tri-ang track with train. Unopened oo gauge buildings and n gauge buildings ,which can be used in the distance, to make your dio better. And they are all in a boxed ready for you to pic up. I'llcheck l;oft tomorrow from more trains and track for you Ken, ready for the weekend. or when your ready to come down.

james pithouse

First Name
James
Just seen video, on how to weather cardboard builngs. just use weathering poweder no glue or anything just powder and work it in just type in youtube weather cardboard houses, and it shows you how

T

Topcat

Use powders to weather, anything wet does ‘ em in. However as another idea you can seal them with a spray and this can be done before you cut them out. Built quite a few in n gauge . Also check out scalescenes.com for printable buildings which you then cut out.

Reactions: JR

james pithouse

First Name
James
Coming along nicely Ken. But I hate to see the gas bill, for the building with no roof on it. The gas company likes you for heating the street.

D

Deleted member 3568

It's a British rail building Jim so no heating anyway.

james pithouse

First Name
James
ho yeh I foregot B.R. can not afford heating lol

james pithouse

First Name
James
hopefull your present will be here tomorrow i'll leave the rest off the items in front room if your poping down tomorrow i'll finish at 4pm. Or are you poping down sunday i'll be here then.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all more progress on the station, also my brother kindly donated some of his stuff and track (any ideas on how to straighten the bent card ) he also donated my first train. I will be using this as the first fully restored train on the dio.
IMG-20181201-57875.jpg

IMG-20181201-38958.jpg

IMG-20181202-42889.jpg

IMG-20181202-16704.jpg

IMG-20181202-13660.jpg

IMG-20181202-4100.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lovely 'Brit' - Turn the tender around!
She was a regular out of Chester. Usually pulling the 'Meat Train' to and from Holyhead....... and I was allowed on the footplate for a few minutes too whilst she was at Chester General Station. Great memories. Thank you.

Ken, dampen the card until it bends easily. Then using a wooden 'splint' place this at the back of the card and secure with a peg. Leave overnight until the card is dry.

Alternatively, you can try rolling the offending bend between your fingers. this sometimes warms the card enough to straighten it.

All looking good......:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks Ron oops I literally just dumped it on my bench with no thought of which way round to put the tender.

james pithouse

First Name
James
Well at least, that lot will keep you going, ken for a while.

D

Deleted member 4539

I built this station a few months ago.
I've been working on my railway for the last 13 years.