Stencil/Masks materials?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I was looking at trying to make a painting stencil/masks for a certain kit i have and was wondering what materials are out there for this? I've heard of the name Frisket(?) but not sure if that is even something that can be used.

Any advice guys?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was looking at trying to make a painting stencil/masks for a certain kit i have and was wondering what materials are out there for this?
What are the masks to be for? This might be a major factor in deciding what will be the best way to go about it.

I've heard of the name Frisket(?) but not sure if that is even something that can be used.
Frisket Film is a brand of low-tack masking foil, made for airbrush artists to mask parts of their work (on paper, board, etc.). I’ve never seen it in the flesh, but I think there’s no real reason why you couldn’t use it for a model, except of course that it’ll be difficult to use larger pieces on surfaces that have compound curves.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What are the masks to be for? This might be a major factor in deciding what will be the best way to go about it.

Painting a Russian Knights Su-27 Flanker B

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Roll out Bluetak with a printers/wallpaper roller,works very well on camoufage,masking tiny wheel hubs in fact anything,you can use those metal punches to cut circles for wheel centres,simply cut to shape with a knife,lay the material onto something like a piece of polythene while you are working with it,remove once done and discard cheap as chips too.

Yes you can mask canopies too,roll a piece out and lay over the canopy,carefully cut out the portions between the frames.

Can also be used in conjunction with masking tape in awkward areas.

D

Deleted member 7181

Mark, it's effectively just a sheet of masking tape, so you can cut out larger shapes in a single piece rather than using a few strips of narrower tape.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
for complicated patterns - it's easier to draw on a bigger sheet on my Condor Legion HS 126, I drew round the wing, onto the masking sheet, then each colour patch & labelled mask.JPG
After a basecoat, all the patches marked '1' were cut out and appliedfirst mask.jpg

Next coat applied, then mask bits 'B', and so on.................top wing decalled.jpg

Now, I don't think that tape would be feasible, and other methods wouldn't give the sharp angles...................
Dave

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Another good masking tip of old is to cut the paper patterns from writing paper then stick them to the surface with ordinary soap,sounds strange I know but it gives crisp lines ideal for things like this HS.126.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. I really want to do the Flanker B justice so this is why i'm wanting some masks

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
Is this the scheme ( picture for discussion purposes only )?Russian-Knights.jpg

The main airframe paint looks like straight lines/blocks - but the sunburst on the tail will be a bit tricky!
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes Dave that's the one :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d think that would be easy enough to mask just with tape. Paint the plane white, mask off the white stripes and the front edge of the red stripes with tape, and just put a cellophane bag or something over the front of the fuselage (taping it down, of course), then spray the red; mask off that as well and spray the blue.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Al,
Begemot do decals for the Russian Knights in 1/72 & 1/45.....................
begemot rk 01.jpg
1/72
begemot rk 48 01.jpgbegemot rk 48 02.jpg
and 1/48
You can get them in the UK, as well
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I know Dave but they are for the Academy kit. I've already contacted them and they do not know if they'll fit the HobbyBoss kit. And also i am getting into using masks/stencils are they give a better finish imho.

D

Deleted member 5496

The best masking material I have found is Car Lining Tape. Have a green one which is great for very
straight lines & a blue one which goes around even very acute corners.

The beauty of this plastic tape is the way it releases. Had very few tears compared to paper tape.

It produces a very precise line. Also no mitering at the corners just cross over the top of the under
tape burnish down on the seam.

Green tape Fine Spray.. Blue tape Fine Line Masking Tape.

Tip I have found. Always cut a new line on whatever tape you use. The edge adhesive on the roll
collects little bit. Plus the manufacturing machine does not produce an edge as a Morton bade will.

I use INFINI easy cutting templates. They produce a great number of templates with many shapes
patterns.
gives some idea but not a great video clip.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

The best masking material I have found is Car Lining Tape. Have a green one which is great for very
straight lines & a blue one which goes around even very acute corners.

Laurie

Agreed Laurie. I work with this stuff daily and it would be my first choice for any hard masking edge.

A tip you probably know, but could prove helpful to others wishing to try it, is that the blue can be eased around the tightest of corners by repeated applying and peeling back, working a tighter radius each time. The "on and off" action softens the tape making it even more pliable.

D

Deleted member 5496

Agreed Laurie. I work with this stuff daily and it would be my first choice for any hard masking edge.

A tip you probably know, but could prove helpful to others wishing to try it, is that the blue can be eased around the tightest of corners by repeated applying and peeling back, working a tighter radius each time. The "on and off" action softens the tape making it even more pliable.

Great tip Andy. Also with the INFINI templates you can slice the tape down to about a 1mm.
With this thickness & your tip virtually everything is possible.

Acute bends can also be cut. These templates are a bit expensive but they are worthy every
penny.

Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I already have the blue car lining tape. As you say it is great for masking curves. I'll keep an eye out for the green one..

I might actually order the Bergemot decals and take some designs from it. The sizes cannot be that far out from the Academy to the HobbyBoss kits.