Steve Jones 1/76 Airfix Cromwell Mk IV (Starter set GB Part 1)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
I have just caught up with your Quad Tractor build. This first part of the GB is gonna frustrate you something rotten!! :sad-face: You're used to working at a whole different level. When I built my Vampire pt1 I kept wanting to reach for all the tools etc I was used to.
So far so good. You seem to have found a way to work with the glue - it really is horrible. You only have to look at it and it goes all spider webby on you. The paint is OK with lots of thinned coats - Ron gets great results with that method. I had to have 5 in places.
Anyway it's good fun :smiling2:
Keep calm and carry on. You have part 2 to look forward to.
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I bet you feel like your hands are tied

Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve - this kit is new. Only released a few years back and the parts are pretty well formed and fit well.

Painting back In the day was generally with Humbrol or Airfix enamels which covered pretty well and didn’t need primer - no acrylics about back then.

Glue was the tube stuff - it was all we had so you got used to it and the stringy mess it could create.

Kits originally for me were obtained at birthdays and Christmas

Later on I could normally only afford Matchbox 1/76 kits from local supermarket on my pocket money. Tamiya kits were the stuff of dreams and way out of reach

Weathering - there was non of that nonsense. Paint it green or sand, do the wheels/tracks then stick it on the shelf.

I did used to borrow Airfix modelling guide books (most of which I now own) on an almost permanent basis from the local library - they gave plans and info that allowed you to convert standard Airfix kits into different versions or scratch build entirely different vehicles by repurposing things such as wheels, chassis etc, tarps from glue soaked tissues

Francois Verlinden and Shep Paine changed everything for me when they introduced me to dry brushing and pastel chalk weathering but that was probably late 70’s early 80’s

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Steve this is going to be fun.
Referring back to your photo is that blade secure in that knife , look as if its not seated correctly ?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Painting back In the day was generally with Humbrol or Airfix enamels which covered pretty well and didn’t need primer - no acrylics about back then.

Glue was the tube stuff - it was all we had so you got used to it and the stringy mess it could create.

Kits originally for me were obtained at birthdays and Christmas
Si, that was everything I was going to post!
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

I am Ralph! No pressure with what it looks like :smiling5:
The JD and coke is certainly helping Allen:thumb2::cool:
Jim/Lee - It certainly is frustrating modelling at this standard. However I am having fun working out and planning Stage 2. Really looking forward to that with a few surprises in store;)
Fantastic memories Simon. Much appreciated. Many thanks for all your help on stage 2 behind the scenes:thumb2:
Good spot JR! Fortunately it works both ways so no imminent slicing of any digits:smiling5:
Thanks for looking in Pete

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start Steve, just take your time with the paints layer by layer.:thumb2:
They are also easily thinned for a wash if you want to go that way.:smiling:

Looking forward to see what you can do such basic items at your disposal and good luck!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Comrade Jones,

Sorry mate but I did laugh when I saw your mishap with the turret....:smiling5: I’m sure, in fact I know I’ve done worse!

I hope you been paying attention to Uncle Ron’s painting guides, rumour has it he doesn’t even use a brush:flushed:
Keen to see this develop:thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice coverage Steve.Is it time for your meds yet?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Stevie,

Looking pretty good for the first coat on. Maybe you will only need 2 more to get her up to snuff. How much paint do you have left in the little pot???

To the turret, hey, it happens and I'm still giggling about it!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Always entertaining when a "mogglin star" makes a cock-up. Shows you're human after all.
Nice build and a few more coats of paint and you'll have a nice finish.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

I put that one down to modelling at night and my age Si. :smiling3: :smiling5:
Nearly Lee! Matron is on stand by
Thanks for the link Fernando. Very interesting.:thumb2:
Four layers with a final wash did the trick Allen. Used about half the pot all together
It did make me laugh at the time Jim. All part of the fun of modelling
Not at all Bob. ;)I was lucky I didn't use much glue on that part.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
That doesn't look bad at all considering what you had to work with. Decals without MicroSol or similar will only work on flatish surfaces and on a matt surface you'll always get some silvering looking at an angle. Painting the tools with that brush must have been fun :rolling:
Well done - certainly looking forward to a comparison with part 2 when you can really use all your skills and knowledge.
Jim