Steve Jones Panther Ausf G Early Production Rye Field Model 1:35 (AAGB)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve, The foliage loops on the turret sides you were asking about were factory installed on very late panthers only...March/April production if memory serves correctly. Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Stevie,

It looks like you are having fun with this build. Very nice work so far. The 5 loops were welded on the turret sides of late MAN panthers in 1945 and used to hold foliage and tree branches for camouflage.

Good idea on the spare track holders as they were welded on the turret roof sides. The 3 handles/loops on the roof were used to remove the turret for maintenance. Part A4 is the port for the Nahverteidigungswaffe (close defense weapon) a launcher for grenades of different types.

Good call Rick!!!

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Now the cons of having to do a kit designed for two different versions of the same model is that you have to add and take things away from the kit. In this instance I have to fill two large and deep groves on top of the mantle gubbins.

View attachment 359228

Not happy with this as the filler over time will split and crack. The only thing in my favour is that only a small part of this is noticable once put together.
Coming along nicely Steve. Wouldn't it be better to glue some plastic card into those grooves then file/sand it down flush?
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve, not wanting to pass on erroneous information, I went back and cracked a book. Come to find out, MAN actually started equipping their production turrets with foliage loops in January 1945 (according to Jentz and Doyle). This would be critical only if you were building a late variant and were working in a very specific time frame. Cheers, Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh dear Steve , I hope the Tiger is not like this, far too complex for an " old" one :smiling2:like me.
Must say that gun assembly looks the business.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Coming along nicely Steve, I'll pull up a chair. Might get me enthused to start one of the many Panthers in my stash!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Just popped in to see if owt happening and find you have half finished it already!

I have a few sets of those Stencilit stencils bought back in the 90's - I am rubbish at using them but when you do get them to work then they are way better than decals

Hadn't realised they were still about - just found that Scalelink seem to be selling them

Peters suggestion of gluing plastic card into those large channels is definitely the way to go - make the gaps that need actual filler as small as possible first

First Name
Wouter
Hello Wouter. How are yer mate?? Chip in anytime if I am going wrong with the build
Quite busy at the moment. We bought a bigger house but plenty of work to do on the inside. I did manage to score a huge hobby room so the future is looking bright :cool: :smiling2:

Nice work on the turret, and good to read that the handles for once in a kit don't have a seam line on them.

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I googled what you could do in 5 hours and here are the results
[snip]
#3 Set goals – Spend some time each day setting daily, monthly, and yearly goals. Life will become much more fun, and efficient, which in turn will free up more time. Wahoo!
So … does setting yourself the goal of assembling those tracks count?

#6 Practice – Add value to your life by mastering your new found passion. Everything from musical instruments to programming to road biking adds value to you as a person.
There you go: Practice making model Panther tracks!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Cheers Scottie
Allen/Rick
Many thanks guys for the feedback on the loops. Learn something new everyday on this site and adds more information on the blog. Great stuff
Top tip Peter. Will certainly go down that road. Many thanks
Its been a fidely part of the build John. Much easier now though. Good luck with the Tiger
Glad to see you Graeme. Panthers are a great model to build. It would be nice to see you do one soon
Mr T - I got the stencils from Stencilit and Alliance Modelworks. They will enable me to do the outline as well as the inner number. I will certainly be practicing with them first
It will be nice to see the new hobby room once its up and running Wouter. Hopefully sooner rather than later
Cheers Jakko

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice progress Steve, it's amazing how parts you drop immediately become chameleon and blend straight in

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning at Steve - I went to Scalelink yesterday and got a few more stencils as I only had a few, not realising they were still available. Forgot they list everything without VAT so had a bit of a shock with the final total! Oh well, it’s only money :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What are those etched bits on the side of the periscopes* for? They seem to be some kind of stops to prevent them from being inserted too far on the real tank, but I don’t see why you’d need to put them on the model if you have the hatch closed. Regardless, it looks like a very detailed model, and you seem to be doing it justice with those delicate bits.

* The things you call visors are periscopes :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

The state I was in Pete I nearly did! :smiling5: :smiling:
Many thanks Ralph
They certainbly do Mick. Especially when you have a beige carpet!:smiling:
Ouch! I hope you get on with this lot better Mr T
Here is a close up Jakko. Cant really see them. As you will see later tonite the whole lot is covered in a chunk of plastic anyhow. Its one of those examples of detailing for the sake of detailing

Last edited: