Steve Jones Panther Ausf G Early Production Rye Field Model 1:35 (AAGB)

First Name
Wouter
Drunken modelling is never a good idea, you managed to pull it off though :D And this kit has some nice attention to detail. Love how that cupola and it's parts is constructed. Looking good there!

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well my surprise for the barrel turned up today. Not happy with it at all. It was chicken wire for the barrel as I had seen it a couple of times in photos. Well it certainly wasnt wire. More like some sort of nylon. As we all know nylon is an absolute beatch to glue to anything
That seems like another example of someone trying to make easy money by packaging a common product for modellers, so they can ask a much higher price. Your netting looks suspiciously like tulle to me, which you can buy by the metre for next to nothing (a quick search for “tulle where to buy”, for example, shows me an ad from a web shop that sells it for €3.95 for a 30×900 cm roll …).

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Steve,

Seems the big cats are all coming together nicely on the GB:thumb2:

I know diddly squit about panthers, but it looks like you do. It’s a nicely detailed kit and you doing a Stirling job of it:smiling4:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks good Steve. You're a brave man adding that PE sight now, I wonder how many times you will be re-gluing that back on. :tears-of-joy:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
very accurate and detailed work... wonderful

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That seems like another example of someone trying to make easy money by packaging a common product for modellers, so they can ask a much higher price. Your netting looks suspiciously like tulle to me, which you can buy by the metre for next to nothing (a quick search for “tulle where to buy”, for example, shows me an ad from a web shop that sells it for €3.95 for a 30×900 cm roll …).
You're right Jakko, and if you specified cotton Tulle it would glue better than nylon.
You can also get diamond mesh as well as hexagonal, and in different sizes, and probably get a 10 cm sample from a haberdashery shop for very little money.
All you've got to do is find a haberdashery shop these days..............

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
very nice work, the etch is looking good. I tend to use cheap gauze from the chemist for this sort of thing you can tease it open to whatever size holes you want and is easy to stick by soaking in watered down white glue.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The problem with gauze, though, is that it’s got square holes. It works very well for camouflage netting, but as Steve mentions, Panthers sometimes had chicken wire around the gun barrel, which is always hexagonal, and in 1:35 you can easily tell the shape of the holes in that kind of size.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
So the question is - Is there any PE or wire, chicken wire for 1 35 scale in the market place because I cant find any anywhere???

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The problem with gauze, though, is that it’s got square holes. It works very well for camouflage netting, but as Steve mentions, Panthers sometimes had chicken wire around the gun barrel, which is always hexagonal, and in 1:35 you can easily tell the shape of the holes in that kind of size.
Ok mate no worries I miss understood.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ok mate no worries I miss understood.
I wasn’t criticising you, just offering an explanation :smiling3:

So the question is - Is there any PE or wire, chicken wire for 1 35 scale in the market place because I cant find any anywhere???
I think I’d try tulle, which is what you already have, but like Neil says, find a cotton version rather than nylon. Or you can use the nylon one you have and use thread or thin copper wire to tie it to the barrel. I don’t recall offhand, but I would kind of expect the wire on the real tank to be tied down in a similar manner.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I would kind of expect the wire on the real tank to be tied down in a similar manner.
I'm sure you're right Jakko, they wouldn't glue it on! It wouldn't stay on long if it was just wrapped around the barrel.
Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

The pictures hide the reality Bob! :smiling5:
Certainly learnt my lesson Wouter - Lager after modelling not before:tongue-out:
I knew precious little before this build Si. Just spent a few weeks reading up on them. This is the part of the hobby I enjoy the most
Its locked away safe and sound Bob. Hopefully I wont have to touch it until the end of the build. Learnt the hard way too many times in the past:smiling:
Cheers Greg. Glad you like it
Neil/Scottie/Jakko/Pete/Mr T - Many thanks to you all for your input and help on the mesh. As I type, Postie has just delived me some Eduard hexagonal mesh. I will try and give some feedback later this week. The plastic stuff is on - just - but I am concerned about its longevity especially once painted. I will keep it on until I am happy that the PE is the better option. I never thought of looking for hex mesh just chicken wire. DOH! So I managed to find some on Evilbay as the US stuff would not have arrived until the end of the month
Many thanks Ian

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Comrade,

What a palaver with the MG ball mount wotsit! Glad you got it sorted eventually. Impressed with all that lovely detail round the hatches, would’ve look great all opened up.

keep it coming mate :thumb2: