First Name
Steven
Just some thoughts....

2OWQzXd.jpg

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I thought the Left hand firestep looked a little bare, so I wanted to add some detail (the LH side of dio might or might not have both figures but that is for a later post..):
As scratching goes, not the most complicated job ,- ( yet I still managed to bodge it slightly:rolling:) ,- a trench periscope:
HcK92fl.jpg

4ACpXpK.jpg

I plan to add some cloth to mine as well (cover often made by canvas from a sandbag helped break the contour of the scope and it blend with the bags on the parapet)
Cf. :The real thing
NcB5wMo.jpg

Wd2w30x.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven .
Good call on the thoughts of some additions, must have been a complete mess of rubbish and battle debris.
Like the scope :thumb2:
John.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steven .
Good call on the thoughts of some additions, must have been a complete mess of rubbish and battle debris.
Like the scope :thumb2:
John.
Indeed, and on that note her's some of the battle debris I am going to add, all are wip:

Generic crate made form balsa - will be half submerged in the shell hole
XK5KpKg.jpg

with almost all of battlefield transportation done by horse and caret there's bound to be a cart wheel lying around....
fC621pa.jpg

Assorted splintered planking, some ammo boxes and I will do some discarded tins as well - including a lot of discarded metal might not be correct as the Germans by 1916 were saving metal but just for the hell of it.
tqgjX56.jpg

Any further suggestions for battle debris? I was thinking adding a dead horse but that beyond my scratching abilities :smiling4:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
This is progressing well. Have a look at Andy Belsey's posts for battle field debris such as cigarette packets etc. those little day to day items add a lot of realism.

Peter

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work on the debris. Is it all done with acrylics?

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is progressing well. Have a look at Andy Belsey's posts for battle field debris such as cigarette packets etc. those little day to day items add a lot of realism.

Peter
Indeed, I have drawn a lot of inspiration from Andy's work, he does however have mad skills I sadly do not have

Stunning work on the debris. Is it all done with acrylics?
Thanks Steve, Yep, all done with Acrylics .

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Size matters.... The great barbed wire question

so , guys I can't decide - which barbed wire size fits best?

Top: 0,1 mm twisted wire with barbs made of 0,2 mm wire
Bottom: 0,2 mm used both to the wire and the barbs
OXatRTO.jpg

uVoUzAi.jpg

Pros and cons
0,1 wire looks a bit more to size but is very fragile and breaks very easily - an issue when threading it through the pickets - I might end up with a lot of pieces to connect will not be the best result , takes forever to do...
0.2 wire looks out of size but is a lot more sturdy easier (faster) to produce and use

twisted and painted 0,1mm wire is about the size of an 1/35 indexfinger while twisted 0,2 is about two fingers

Size ref form purported WWI barbed wire

FoFyO6t.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
This is a really interesting blog and some excellent modelling. Attention to detail and thoughtful research. As for the barbed wire - the 0.2 wire for both strand and bards looks better. More like the ref photo where the wire is at least as fat as the bard.
This is definitely heading in the right direction.
Jim

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Steven
This is a really interesting blog and some excellent modelling. Attention to detail and thoughtful research. As for the barbed wire - the 0.2 wire for both strand and bards looks better. More like the ref photo where the wire is at least as fat as the bard.
This is definitely heading in the right direction.
Jim
Thanks Jim - good point on the relationship between barb and wire - they Were after all made from the same gauge wire

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steven.
That's looking good, agree with Jim on the sizes.
John.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Guys, thank so much for your input and I agree, the 0,2mm is the way forward.
Deadline for completely finishing the mortar is drawing nearer I will be done on the 11th day.....
That means that by that date I will have to add the second figure , make barbed wire, making discarded cans and other debris
A professional photographer friend of mine drops by and takes photos of all my WWI dios. at the end of the month - looking forward to that.

I have played around with some washes for the terrain to change the color and to add some more shadow and added more smaller smaller rocks - looking at the pics I It looks a bit uniform with an even distribution of small rocks think I will add some areas containing larger rocks, and areas with bare soil.
terrain so far :
DtXPPc4.jpg

yqgTQRc.jpg

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven .
The box in the water.a great piece of detail .:thumb2: love the water inside the box .
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
What JR said. You attention to detail is making this a stunning build. Keep it coming Steven:thumb2:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys
A quick update on the pit
Figures:

History:
An MG team (or part of one) are relocating to a another section of the front, one is carrying ammo + the Maxim '08, his mate two ammo crates picked up form a supply point,
figures are form Rewells "WWI Infantry 1914" required some mods - mainly change of pose bending and straightening of limbs etc. - made my first atteempt at sculpting folds and details on clothing on an armature - I am really not very apt at that.....

some pics of the one already mounted in various stages of completion:
JEWG7XZ.jpg

rJYCz8D.jpg

Playing around with placing the second figure - more on that below

JG4UU8l.jpg

Second figure

x0CvNeY.jpg

yKTQETk.jpg

Placing the second figure: - what do think?
a bit back:

xhW2L6y.jpg

XSnYbGg.jpg

GlcGNHJ.jpg

Closely following his mate:
YPpQLkF.jpg

In front of :

JHGEPUC.jpg