Steve's 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk 1

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Started work on the flaps. Wing mounted guns and fittings now in place and wing half's joined and now fitting nicely. I have got a major fit issue at the front end. For the life of me I cant see where I have gone wrong with this. The fuzz fits perfectly around the curveture of the top wing but it is a mile off at the join with the cowling under the engine bay. If I cant work this out then I will have to resort to some major reshaping and filling. I have never seen such a poor fit on such a small model.

IMGP0017.JPGIMGP0019.JPGIMGP0020.JPG

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have just checked on line and I am not the only one to comment on this fit issues, seems to be a problem that a few people have experienced with this kit. And apparently there are more issues with the fuzz that others have encountered so I have that to look forward too . The thing that annoys me about this situation is that most people on this forum have the skills, tools and knowledge not to let something like this faze them. We just dive in cut, fill, sand and make good and move forward. But what happens when some poor child gets bought one of these kits for the first time as a present and they try and build it with limited knowledge, skills and tools. It would be enough to put them off modeling for life. Not acceptable especially in a kit thats fairly modern tooling. Not to worry. The joys of modeling. Rant over.

Last edited:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I finally feel like I have made some headway with this model. Seat belts painted and fitted. Did the best I could Andy but dry brushing small photo etched parts is not my strongest point.IMGP0028.JPG

Finally got the fuzz joined onto the wings. Had some minor adjustment to get the seat back plate to sit correctly over all the internal cockpit gubbins. Now I just have to address the front end misalignment. I had two options for the front end correction. Alter the wing to meet the fuzz or alter the fuzz to meet the wing. Rather than cut into the wing I decided to raise the lower cowling on the fuzz to align with the wing. This does mean that the plane will have a slightly different nose angle underneath but other than the purists who would be able to see a difference when its filled and painted it should look something like normal. It was also the easier correction to do. As non of the parts fit together at the front end I have had to reinforce the joins with plastic card. These are now curing and I should be ready for filling and sanding tomorrow. IMGP0030.JPGIMGP0031.JPGIMGP0032.JPG

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You’re doing well to sort out the fit issues Steve but I agree with you regarding how other less experienced modellers would struggle :confused:

Very disappointing from Airfix especially with it being a relatively new tooled kit :sad-face:

Geoff.
I cant understand it Geoff. Some are going together without issues and others are experiencing similar problems. I spent a lot of time on the wings making sure the two halves fitted together without any stress in them so you would expect the fuzz to just sit neatly but it didn't.
Great work so far Steve, but this version seems to have a lot more fit issues than the one I’m building.
Thanks Ian. Getting there slowly but the fit issues have slowed things down.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Steve,
Just had a catch up, nothing wrong with those belts at all, nicely done in fact:thumb2:.
I'm surprised to hear about,(and see),the fit issues with this kit,I expected better from Airfix:thinking:,none the less, you're persevering excellently mate..... Looking forward to the next update. :nerd:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
These pictures are of a 1/48 Airfix Hurricane that had the exact same fit issues that I have had to deal with. The modeler did an amazing job in his repair. If I can get mine to look anything like this when it's finished then I will be a happy bunny.

Hurricane-Mk-1-39.jpgHurricane-Mk-1-27.jpg

Last edited:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not the conventional way of pre shading but when your air brush cant go as fine as you would like I find a permanent marker pen is a good substitute. Well into paint mode now.

IMGP0043.JPGIMGP0044.JPGIMGP0045.JPG