Steve's 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More progress!
This is a very nice little kit, similar to the Bf 109 I just did. It all fits very nicely indeed, I've not used anything but glue to do the sticking together bit... so far.

IMG_2382.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not much time today as I am applying my skills, unpaid, to move and install a bunch of light fittings for the Fuhrerin rather than pleasing myself.

I have masked and primed the clear parts. In all honesty, there are things to do which are much more fun than this, even with your clothes on :smiling3:

IMG_2383.JPG

I've gone for the cockpit part with the gun turret fairing down. The only way to do this is to mask the glass of the rear canopy and then spray the fairing (which slides down inside the canopy) from the inside. Hopefully, even at this scale, the result will look like a clear panel with a solid piece (the fairing) behind it. Obviously I'll have to spray the inside of the part representing the fairing before I stick it on the model, which will now not happen until tomorrow.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm leaping ahead with this one!

I managed to prime the model last night, so I've got the Sky undersides sprayed today.

I post shade, which I find more controllable. Using enamels I can also do it 'wet on wet'. If you over do it it is a simple task to do an overspray of the base colour to tone it down, which makes it an idiot proof technique, ideal for me.

It never shows up well in photographs, particularly mine, it's supposed to be subtle, but here is the underside anyway.

IMG_2385.JPG

Varnishes also affect the final result, guessing how is all part of the fun! They always darken the way the paint appears, and this is a very small model.

BTW, I discovered that the round hatch on the underside, behind the radiator was how the armourers accessed the lower turret to install the ammunition boxes for the guns. Rather them than me!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve,
I'm looking at this with envy and wished I hadn't started on the old kit and waited a bit more. Looks good even minus the detailing. So far how is the fit?

The addition of history and references to your thread make it even more interesting. I've learned more and appreciate the aircraft a bit more.

Cheers,
Richard

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Richard, the fit has been perfect so far, I have just stuck the bits together.

Apart from the undercarriage all that's left are the various antennae, pitot, propeller etc., so they will fit. I've already put together the turret and that was fine too. The turret seems to 'snap' into the fuselage, but I'll do that at the end and do it once. It doesn't look like something you can take in and out a few times!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic Steve, I'm hoping the build will be similar and applied to the 1/48 kit especially the snap fitting of the turret. Will have to wait and see Barry's build.

Cheers,
Richard

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the camouflage on. It's close enough for me. There are definitely diminishing returns to mucking about with it at this stage, meaning adjustments often make it worse rather than better!

IMG_2387.JPG

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Look at you slipping an extra one in... well why not.
It has been interesting reading all the comments and views about the Defiant (the real aircraft) in your build thread. I can't help thinking, with a bit of development, it might have been something. Just the box art shows the guns engaging a 109 on the port quarter, high. Only a turret could have done this.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decals on. There's only about 10 of them, though I did cut out the fuselage roundels and codes to reduce the amount of carrier film.

IMG_2389.JPG

They are not the best to be honest, let's just say that you would struggle to break them. They will be assaulted several times with Microsol to beat them into shape before the next stages.

I'm reasonably optimistic that I will complete this model by Thursday (the end of the BoB) but if I don't, I don't :smiling3:

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve. Looks great and the Camo is ice

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Steve. I wonder if the decals will react to an old bottle of Airfix decal juice. Aren't the new Airfix decals by Cartograph ?
Cheers,
Richard

Microsol seems to work.

I can't see 'Printed by Cartograph' on the remains of the sheet. That doesn't mean that they aren't but they are pretty thick and heavy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Microsol seems to work.

I can't see 'Printed by Cartograph' on the remains of the sheet. That doesn't mean that they aren't but they are pretty thick and heavy.
Okay, that should tell us as I suspected that not all their kits come with Cartograph printed decals.

Cheers,
Richard

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This one is near enough done. I notice in the photo that the serial number is not quite right. I may try and fix that...or maybe not!

IMG_2402.JPG

I'll do a completed thread with some 'proper' photos tomorrow.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Steve.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
This has turned out very well Steve. A nice paint finish and the decals look good too...How would you go about fixing the serial number though? Wouldn't it ruin the decal?

Prost
Allen

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This has turned out very well Steve. A nice paint finish and the decals look good too...How would you go about fixing the serial number though? Wouldn't it ruin the decal?

Prost
Allen

The 'N' has folded under (I think). It's not a big deal. If I was to fix it I would take the 'N' off and replace it. I would be a bit of a faff with the paint to repair as well. Honestly, I don't think I'll bother. This build was just a bit of fun anyway.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The 'faulty' N is hardly noticeable Steve. I had to enlarge the photo to 250% before I could see anything amiss.
Pete