Steve's Airfix 1/72 Unofficial Dogfight Double BoB Group Build - COMPLETED

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I did a bit of research before setting up my dogfight double. Von Werra had been attacked and damaged by at least one other pilot before Stapleton latched on to him and eventually forced him down. There is no doubt at all that Stapleton was the man who last attacked von Werra and this is the scene I have attempted to represent in my dogfight double.

I have read various accounts from people on the ground who were involved in von Werra’s capture as well as, of course, Stapleton’s own accounts. We can safely ignore von Werra’s version, the man seems to have been something of a serial liar and fantasist.

There is one account, from a man of the searchlight battery that captured von Werra, that states that the Messerschmitt raised its undercarriage shortly before landing. This leads to an interesting conjecture, that von Werra lowered his undercarriage to indicate his surrender to the pursuing Stapleton. If he did, then Stapleton did not notice. I thought posing von Werra with undercarriage down would be confusing, so I’ve done both aircraft with their wheels retracted.

Stapleton’s original Combat Report reads,

“I then did a series of beam attacks from both sides, and the enemy aircraft turned into my attacks. He finally forced landed.”

Stapleton realised that von Werra was attempting to land and allowed him to do so. In a later account he would say,

“I noticed that its [the Bf 109] airspeed had dropped dramatically and I pressed home an attack, followed by another before allowing the pilot to carry out a forced landing. I remember seeing my tracer strike the 109 and was concerned that I was flying at low level, with a village in my apparent line of fire.”

In the end, rather obviously condensed in space, I have posed von Werra starting to fly the right turn he reportedly made prior to landing, with Stapleton breaking of what would have been another attack.

IMG_2368_web.jpg

IMG_2370_web.jpg

IMG_2371_web.jpg

IMG_2375_web.jpg

IMG_2376_web.jpg

These are both nice little models, though if the Bf 109 is not more recent it certainly seems like it is. All in all great fun in an excursion into a scale which I rarely tackle.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve. Great looking aircraft and very nicely presented.

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice work Steve superbly finished..

First class imaginative presentation. I like very much to see models in their natural enviroment.

Laurie

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve

Sincerest apologies. Forgot to comment on this.

That is rather good indeed and does put my efforts into perspective!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
No one has to comment! It's certainly not an obligation or expected :smiling3:
Thanks for the complement too.

Actually Steve I do need to apologise. I looked at this not long after you uploaded it and thought it was brilliant but completely forgot to comment....

As Laurie has said it adds something to have them flying against a nice background.

Excellent mate. Well done.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great, nice crisp finish on the paintwork.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great, nice crisp finish on the paintwork.

I'm old school Tim.

The paints are almost all Sovereign Hobbies (ex-White Ensign) Colourcoats, thinned with cellulose thinners, certainly all the camouflage colours. There may be a dab or two of Humbrol or Xtracolor on the detail and the pilots.

I grew up with enamels and despite a brief flirtation with other paint systems have reverted to what I know best. Drying time doesn't bother me, if I'd wanted something to do in a hurry I'd have chosen a different hobby :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know where you are coming from a Steve, I learned to paint with enamels and still have a good sixty plus tinlets that are useable. Some of them are over forty years old, including paint from the old old authenticolour range, but the majority were purchased in the early nineties. When I came back to modelling about ten years ago I made the switch to acrylics because I didn’t like the newer formula humbrols. An example is Humbrol 85 semi gloss black. I have two tins, one very old tin that performs perfectly, and a much newer one that is patchy, doesn’t flow, and leaves brush marks. I found others in the range that were just as variable. I now prefer acrylics for brush painting because they are simply easier to use once you learn some of the tricks, but still think the old metalcote range of humbrols gave better metallic effects. Enamels are also much better for dry brushing, but if I have a lot of that to do I use oils which are even better....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I didn’t like the newer formula humbrols.

Most of them are horrible. It's why I tried various other brands before settling on what are now the Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats.

I've still got some old Humbrols, and a few Xtracolor (hit and miss in my experience) and even old Model Master paints.

BarryW, who you will have seen here, uses the MRP 'lacquers' which are very good indeed for airbrushing, but I have issues with some of their colour accuracy. They would probably be my fall back option.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done Steve, nicely set up for the photos as well .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job steve , looks even better with the backdrop , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steve, this is superb. Enjoy the fact that you have posed the two fighters according to the combat reports. Excellent work all round, including the presentation in this completed thread. Cheers, Joe