Steve's Bf 109 in a Mistel combination.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The title  is what I intend to build, and in 1/72 scale as I have quite enough large scale Bf 109s thank you very much!

I haven't actually got a kit yet, but I vaguely remember a cheapish Italeri boxing of a Mistel combination which I will endeavour to get my paws on as soon as I finish my current job :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It does Dave, but I wonder what 'used' means in this context ?

That is the kit I remember, I will get my hands on one next week.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad to have you on board Steve. 

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It does Dave, but I wonder what 'used' means in this context ?

The seller says it's only wear and tear to the box Steve. Looking at his feedback, I'd have no problem buying from him.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I like interesting subjects, and mistels are particularly intriguing, a last stop measure by the third reich to stop the allies, which failed miserably, but produced excellent modelling subjects :smiling3:

Will watch this one go together

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right then, we're off and running.

First problem is that I can't, as intended, build the Mistel for which decals are provided in the box. All the tactical numbers (which were painted on the fin of the Ju 88 component) are supplied in red and they were in fact white. After a quick rummage I found a couple of suitable 'White 2s" which in turn led to a search for a suitable Mistel. Luckily one was forthcoming, and this will be my subject.

IMG_1771.JPG

Other code letters, swastikas etc I will find in my spare decals box.

I have started the Bf 109, simply adding a set of belts from foil to jazz up the cockpit (which bears no resemblance to a bf 109 F in any case). The instructions ask you to paint the cockpit RLM 02, but again, all F-4s were RLM 66.

Here's how far I've got, the cockpit will be completed by the addition of a control column....when I find it :smiling3:

IMG_1772.JPG

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Is not habitual to see you building 1/72 scale planes.....so I'm in Steve ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Is not habitual to see you building 1/72 scale planes.....so I'm in Steve ;)

No, and the fit of this one is not the best. It must be a fairly recent kit as it has engraved panel line (more like trenches!)

I have nailed the fuselage together, having found the control column about 12' from where I dropped it :smiling3:

IMG_1773.JPG

I am now concentrating on another project for the rest of the evening.

IMG_1774.JPG

Chin, chin :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The little Bf 109 is nearing completion.

IMG_1775.JPG

This will be as far as I go for a while as from this evening, and this weekend, I adopt yet another role, as entertainments officer for one of the Lancashire branches of the family who are probably already descending the M6 as I type :smiling3:  

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is a Bf 109 build, but the other half of this Mistel combinations was a Ju 88. I've started building this now and despite seeming to be an older vintage kit (raised detail for example) it has gone together better than the little Messerschmitt.

You can see here the fit of the engine nacelle to the wing is almost perfect. This is an area which can cause problems on much more expensive kits.

IMG_1776.JPG

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Ju 88 part is coming along nicely, and I've just masked up the yellow fuselage band and got some underside colour (RLM 76) on the Bf 109.

IMG_1778.JPG

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Bf 109 is coming along nicely. I've applied some basic camouflage and the very heavy mottle. I'm debating whether to apply a thinned over spray of RLM 02 to the sides, tis was often done.

For now it's looking like this.

IMG_1778.JPG

Cheers

Steve

K

Kressy_13

Looking very nice mate. I'm afraid of trying the mottle in 1/48 let alone 1/72. You have done a great job of it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've sprayed and masked the undersides and applied the first colour (RLM 71) to the Ju 88. I have deliberately faded the aircraft relative to the warhead (which must have been freshly painted) and just have a little post shading to do before masking up for the second camouflage colour (RLM 70)

IMG_1780.JPG

While I had the airbrush out I did apply an over spray to darken down the sides of the 109. This was common practice late in the war as the Germans lost air superiority and needed to hide their aircraft on the ground, and my reference does show quite dark sides.

IMG_1781.JPG

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Last night and this morning I have managed to finish the camouflage. I have attempted to make it look rather tired and worn, as an old bomber which has now been converted to a one way stand off missile was hardly going to warrant much attention to its paint work. I have reduced the contrast between the two colours and faded them both even more than normal to do this.

IMG_1782.JPG

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's two colours! Damn... :smiling3:  Great job on aging the paint. 

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Bf 109 F is now completed. Because the undercarriage is down, as it will be even when mounted on its Ju 88, I can sit it on the table top for a photo.

IMG_1784.JPG

This was built OOB except for the replacement cowl machine guns which are some brass ones I found in a tray, I have no idea where they came from or who made them. This is because I hacked off the pre-molded ones on the kit before realising that these aircraft did retain the cowl guns, though other armament was removed.

The decals are from the kit (very nice) and from my spares box.

1/72 is fun to do, but for a large scale guy like me it's a bit like making a detailed and fancily painted drop tank :smiling3:

On with the Ju 88, currently delayed because it has no code letters, and none visible in the photo, so I decided to apply some camouflage paint to simulate over painting of the ones that must have been applied at some time. Decals tomorrow with a bit of luck!

Cheers

Steve