Steyr 1500 mit Flak, Tamiya, 1/35

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
next things on the bench.....

must have bought the Steyr at a show cos it has a Beatties price tag on it..........................and once i looked in the box i find its missing the clear plastic for the windscreen and the mesh for grilles, both easy fixes

got a 20mm flak gun for it to tow

dscf1412.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
A nice choice of build. I imagine the Flak 38 will be quite fiddly.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I imagine the Flak 38 will be quite fiddly.
Nah, it’s an old Tamiya kit, so it’s simplified and with relatively large parts, but they should fit well. (I’ve never built it, but I have built a couple examples of Tamiya’s Flakvierling. I doubt this one is very different, construction-wise.)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
So are you dragging it or carrying it. PaulE

definatly dragging

thought id make a start on the flak gun first, knew it wouldnt take long but it only took an hour!!

wheels not attached cos i need to paint them seperatly, and ive not attached the front shields since im planning a splash of camo whilst everything else will be dunkelgelb

it was 'new tool' back in 1978 whilst the Steyr dates from 1988

dscf1413.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
for the first time in ages im doing a kit that im enjoying so much i just want to sit and build, build, build!......typical Tamiya. going together with no drama......of course since today is a 'working at home day' sure helped ;)

zdscf110.jpg

Rupert seems ok but Otto looks like he has nodded off on duty and will be heading for the Eastern Front

not sure if i will use the figures anyway but thought id build them for the practice

zdscf111.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
been having some problems spraying the camo.......this is the third attempt and im still thinking of chucking it in brake fluid to strip it and start again!.............not happy about how the brown seems to drown out the green

i know why, i think i need a new nozzle for my airbrush so had to break out my old Aztek for this 3rd attempt, i havnt used it for years, its a different knack to a 'normal air brush

going to leave it til tomorrow so i can look at it in daylight to decide if it gets stripped or clear coated so i can put a wash on it

w_1210.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good paul ,before stripping it maybe its worth going over just the green parts with it lightened slightly ( a few drops of yellow) to see if it gives a bit more contrast with the brown .

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good paul ,before stripping it maybe its worth going over just the green parts with it lightened slightly ( a few drops of yellow) to see if it gives a bit more contrast with the brown .

i was thinking over going over with something lighter than the olivgrun.......maybe Russian 4B0 green.......two-tone it.......will all blend with a wash

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Paul.
Pretty sure I remember someone doing the Flak in the back of a truck, like the look of the gun itself.
Will sit in the corner and take notes on the use of the 4BO:nerd:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so rather than airbrushing it again i went old school and used a hairy stick :smiling6:

when i airbrushed it i did the green, then put an edge of brown either side,.....i think the over spray from the brown drowned out the green, so i used a flat paint brush to go over the top of the green, taking away the overspray......hope that made sense

the wheels have had some pigment added in the treads,,,,,vehicle has had some dark wash inside and some mud added to the floor..........outside has had a oil spot filter

im now going to leave it well alone for a few days for the oil to dry before final assembly and a matt coat on top

dscf1510.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Paul,
that's looking really good! - the Steyr is one of the Tamiya models which maintained their reputation - going together well, and with nice detail - I looked back in my archives & found I'd made this in late 2017. I used some Eduard mesh, and added a few extra rifles to the carrying clips, otherwise OOB, using the DAK decals. One of those models where you can concentrate on the finish, the fit being worry-free!
Dave