Sticky Marks from masking

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I reckon I put masking tape on too soon and I now have sticky marks on a large area of pristine paint :anguished:. Is it a smooth it off and repaint job? Gutted

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Is it residue or is the paint actually marked? If it's just residue I would try odorless thinners on a cotton bud and carefully rub over the marks. it may take a while, but should come off eventually.

I had to do this all over my F-16 build where the mask set left residue over 80% of the model. :sad:

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Is it residue or is the paint actually marked? If it's just residue I would try odorless thinners on a cotton bud and carefully rub over the marks. it may take a while, but should come off eventually.

I had to do this all over my F-16 build where the mask set left residue over 80% of the model. :sad:
I shall give it a try this afternoon. Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I will learn to be patient and the let the paint set properly in future !

D

Deleted member 5496

What kind of paint are you using Chris.

Laurie

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I shall give it a try this afternoon. Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I will learn to be patient and the let the paint set properly in future !
Have been very gently trying this out. Not a lot of success. Have decided that the area is relatively small but important so am going to rub it down and respray. Won't take that long but I will leave it dry a lot longer!!

D

Deleted member 5496

Chris you may consider these masking tape. They are automotice & particularly for glossy finishes although I also use them on matt.

Never had the adhesive separate. They release very well.

Laurie

Finespray Fine Line Green Tape (6mm x 55m)
3M™ Fine Line Masking Tape Blue 6mm x 32.9 m Roll

The blue will take you around any curve. Green for straight lines.

I use the infini Easy Cutting boards which gives a new clean line ie no glue creap on the outside edge. Also cut to the thickness you want.

ChrisP

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris you may consider these masking tape. They are automotice & particularly for glossy finishes although I also use them on matt.

Never had the adhesive separate. They release very well.

Laurie

Finespray Fine Line Green Tape (6mm x 55m)
3M™ Fine Line Masking Tape Blue 6mm x 32.9 m Roll

The blue will take you around any curve. Green for straight lines.

I use the infini Easy Cutting boards which gives a new clean line ie no glue creap on the outside edge. Also cut to the thickness you want.
Thanks Laurie. Will look into it