Stirling Glider Tug

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I have always been intrigued by the airborne and the chariots that transported them to their targets. One particular movie scene was the attack and taking of Pegasus bridge in The Longest Day. Although the transport tugs were clearly Halifaxes I converted Airfix's Sterling into a glider tug as they feature more in images of gliders tugged on D-Day or Market Garden.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

The above pictures show the difference of the tugs from the bombers. Features to omit were the front and dorsal turrets. The old Airfix kit cockpits of the time were basically very bare so I added some basic ribbing to the frame and walkways to the rear fuslage...don't know why I did the latter as very little can be viewed from the open rear door.

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg

Cut off the dorsal turret and covered with card supported with shims. Masking tape seatbelts enhanced the appearance or the seats and picked out the instrument panel with tiny blobs of paint just enough to make it look busy. Also added a chart for the navigators table. The front turret area was to be worked on next.
More to come next.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

I too am a big fan of the Pegasus Bridge and Merville Battery operations. Looking forward to seeing how this project develops. Good luck

Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve and Richard,

The two operations by the British Airborne were astonishing feats...one objective taken in 15 mins and the other with less than a third of it's strength.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
This was quite the fun part where I had to make my own home made vacuum form pump from a Ferrero chocolate box and vacuum cleaner.

21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

Firstly on joining the fuselage I had to alighn the halves and fill gaps at the front turret and back of the cockpit. This was done with pla card and trimmed.

25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg

Then I carved balsa wood into the shape of the plexiglass nose cone for the removed turret filling and burring until it had the right shape. The next two pictures show my home made vacuum pump. After a few sheets of trying I got one passable cast. There were tiny bubbles but I could live with it. Picture on left below shows a botched vac form.

29.jpg 30.jpg

More to come in next thread on improving the rear turret.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

My next modification was the tail turret. The Airfix kit part was very rudimentary and fit wasn't good. Since the clear part wasn't very clear I did some simple interior work.

31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg

I cleaned up the clear part and added farrings to hold the brownings...I then painted the internal framings.

35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg

Then I tested the fit and sanded where ever needed to flush it against the aircraft body. I clamped the assemblyto keep the clear part flush with the rear housing until the glue cured. I then masked and puttyied.

39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg

After that I carefully masked the glazing and sprayed the whole assembly Nato black.

43.jpg 44.jpg

That's it...next will be the tug cable mechanism.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Richard, cool subject and some very nice additions you've made to the base kit.:thumb2:
Following with interest.

Fernando

A

Armorguy

The tailgunner will be very happy with it sir ! It looks perfect.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Richard
Going well, nice work on the deleted turret. Always wondered why they took off the front turret? At least that could have shot at a target....all the rear turret gunners could shoot would be the glider behind LOL
Tim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Fernando, Guy, Paul and Tim for looking in and commenting.

The base kit was very basic with lots of gaps and detail missing. now with the extra insulation not only the tail gunner is happy but the tail turret is looking like one. Good point on the deleted turrets, I guess being an interdiction operation at night these stations weren't often used. The tail turret was maintained against night fighters approaching low from behind or give protection to the glider.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

Terrific work on the upgrades. I really enjoyed reading about your progress. Thanks for sharing:thumb2:

Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
That vacuum forming pump ! That's some dedication,and what a result. Most impressed. :thumb2:
Build looks to becoming on well, I shall sit with the crew.
John .

A

Andy Claesens

Richard,
That looks jolly good to me. Always liked the Stirling since building the Airfix one as a youngster. Keep up the good work.:thumb2:
Andy

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is looking really good.

I remember making an awful job of this kit as a young boy, but I loved the aircraft itself. I've read reviews that say Airfix are still churning out this kit from the original moulds - which means I ain't gonna buy one! Sheeessshhh! I had enough with the old Defiant I did recently.

Someone else has released a Stirling (and I have vague memories of seeing a glider tug version too) in 1/72; I think it's Italeri. Has anyone built one and is it any good?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, John R, Andy C, and Dave for your kind replies.

Glad to share this old kit build. It's my second attempt for this kit. The first one was a bomber version that was stolen when displayed at a LHS. Had no choice but to make a vacuum pump to get the glasing...didn't know where to get any after market material for it. The crew are huddled at the briefing room John. I still build Airfix kits for nostalgia. I feel the Italeri kit engraving too deep but must be an easier kit to build with less clean up of the parts. I re-did the old Defiant and will share the progress shots on it later.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, more progress on the Stirling, this time the tug mechanism situated under the tail...

45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg 48.jpg

Basically it was made up of three pla sheets cut to the shape of a 'D' and sandwiched attached to short swivel arms in cut outs at the base of the tail planes. The center portion of this 'D" where the cable release housing is connected further up the fuslage via a rod. All this was from guess work off pictures on glider tugs.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Some really great work so far.Ive always liked the look of the sterling.I remember getting an airfix one for Christmas when i was 11 or 12.Black plastic and glue everywhere.My.brother made the bomb tractor if i remember.Keep it up as its very interesting.
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard.
Yes , this Airfix kit shows its age but was the only game in town until Italeri decided to jump in. All the glider tug parts are available in that kit...just came out 7 years too late for me.:smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Next, the engine nacelle slats needed thinning down...then the radial engines were painted black and dry brushed with silver picking out the raised vanes on the pistons.

49.jpg 50.jpg 51.jpg 52.jpg

The inside of the nacelles were painted interior green and radilas fitted. The propellers look horrid with large amounts of flash but they were in the right proportions...major clean up ahead.

53.jpg 54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg

More to come later.

Cheers,
Richard