Stona's captured 'Butcher Bird'.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was going to do the well known red painted Fw190 captured during the disastrous (for the Luftwaffe) 'Operation Bodenplatte'.

Unfortunately I bought the wrong Fw190!

Here's my A-6,I meant to get an A-8.

All is not lost. On the decal sheet is a nice looking A-5 and with a bit of sanding chopping and scribing I can make this one near enough.

I'll be making the rather attractive blue aircraft at the top of the sheet,shown with the sprues.

It says "Easy Assembly" on the box so it shouldn't take too long!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Should be a very interesting build steve, ive been tempted by these hobby boss quick build kits but ive never actually had one. The colour scheme is going to look great on the 190 too, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've only ever made the old Airfix kits in this scale before. Despite their simplicity they are often quite difficult to make into a decent looking model!

The Hobbyboss kit does exactly what it says. It is nicely made with some fine exterior detail,though nothing internally,and goes together very easily.

If I hadn't had to file/sand off some underwing bumps,remove the outboard armament and fill and rescribe a couple of underwing panels ('cos I ordered the wrong kit!) I'd probably be finished by now :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
"It is nicely made with some fine exterior detail,though nothing internally," sounds just like some of those old airfix kits steve! In fact ive got one im building next - the CAC boomerang. Im sure that the cockpit on the 190 is going to look fine with a bit of dry brushing and wash. Besides, no ones going top be looking at the cockpit with the stunning colour scheme! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There really is nothing internally! I'll give it a quick once over but I'm not expecting much to pop out as there's not much to begin with :smiling3:

For anyone familiar with an Fw190 cockpit this one requires a large dollop of imagination.I'm not detailing the cockpit at all as it's not really the point of the build. That colour scheme is.

Externally it is very nice and the fit (unlike some of those old Airfix and other kits) is stunningly good.For the major assemblies I don't reckon you'd need any glue. Mind you there's only a handful of parts.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great colour scheme you found there.

An interesting little kit as well. looks like even I could get a good wing root with that one lol!

Ian M

M

m1ks

Interesting packaging. Not seen a kit like that before.

I like that colour scheme, look forward to seeing it on your model.

You are the ideal person to answer a question for me Steve as it happens.

Someone on another forum was wondering the difference between an A-8 and a D-8, seems a kit they have lists both?

Cheers,

Mike

First Name
Dave
Corect me if im wrong,but i think these kits were designed to be easy to build so as to get youngsters into the hobby.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mike,not sure what he means by D-8. The D series production started with the D-9.

Did he mean an F-8?

Dave,I think you are correct. It has clearly been designed to avoid any potential gaps and there are few small parts. The tail wheel is molded on the fuselage for example.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Primed. I've used white because it is in a small scale (scale effect) and I want the blue paint to be nice and bright.

It looks a lot like an Fw190 to me.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Steve

It strikes me that this kit would be perfect for anyone new to the hobby or anyone new to airbrushing wanting to try techniques on a build.

You have completely different reasons for trying the kit and I'm looking forward to seeing this butcher bird in the American colours.

All the best

Paul

M

m1ks

\ said:
Mike,not sure what he means by D-8. The D series production started with the D-9. Did he mean an F-8?

Dave,I think you are correct. It has clearly been designed to avoid any potential gaps and there are few small parts. The tail wheel is molded on the fuselage for example.

Cheers

Steve
My apologies Steve, i was typing from memory, he did in fact say A-8 & F-8, it's the Eduard weekend edition kit apparently.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good grief,no need to apologise! I thought it might have been a typo or similar.

The F-8 was equipped for close air support/ground attack. It was essentially an A-8 with a few modifications to enable it for that task. Many were upgraded from much earlier (A-4 or A-5) fighters.

The outer wing armament,if originally fitted, was deleted. The various bulges and shell/link ejection chutes associated with those weapons went and a pair of ETC 50 bomb racks were fitted under each wing. Eack rack would typically carry a 50 Kg (SC 50) bomb,so a total of four,two under each wing.

Under the fuselage an ETC 501 bomb rack was fitted as standard. ETC for those who care stands for "Einzeltrager C-munition".This could carry various 500 Kg bombs (SC or SD 500 usually) or an AB 500 which was a dispenser for anti-personnel bomblets,the famous 'butterfly' bombs,handy for attacking infantry. I think (but haven't checked) that it could also carry a Lt F5b torpedo. Alternatively it could carry the equivalent 250 Kg weapon systems.

Many were retro-fitted with the so called 'blown',bulged,canopy. No aerial tensioner so if posed with the canopy open the wire will be slack!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's what I've been doing with the little 190. Bottom is RLM 76 and the red and yellow bits are on.

It's sitting on a tin of what I hope will be a suitable blue.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got the basic paint on. Tricky this small scale stuff,I need to do a couple of "touch ups". Most obviously on the near wing tip.

And,yes,I did bust both the inboard cannons off!

I prefer bigger birds to be honest!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top stuff steve! , the 109 is looking great too, cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
(Sunglasses out :winkingshades: ) Looking good Steve.

Have fun, John