Storch Camouflage...

P

Polux

Hi all.

Every day I like less to build military models, and maybe this will be the last one for a long, long time....

Maybe is my lack of interest or is just I am losing my patience, but the model doesn’t turn like I expected.

This is an Academy Storch at 1/72 scale. The model fits really well, just a few problems on the multipart canopy, but ok. I decided to paint with the North Africa scheme, that I thought it was a challenge. Here is where I need to know your opinion, because I was really interested on reproduce the camouflage and learn to do it. My opinion is the stripes are homogeneous and don’t show any kind of relieve. But maybe they don’t look thin enough..... or they need to be more “burred” like the winter camouflage stripes (like a FW190 ones).

Anyway, maybe......, the model will finish on the trash or loosed on my work bench. I don’t like the sand brown colour, the decal sheet has been an absolutely disaster, some marks are wrong and there is some problem on the canopy that I cannot correct without dissembled all the set :sad:

Thanks for your comments

Polux

View attachment 116731

View attachment 116732

DSC_1456.JPG

DSC_1458.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks spot on polux , the green squiggles are just right . They might have been applied in the field with a brush , or maybe sprayed but at this scale it would show as a hard edge either way so the camo is perfect. PLEASE dont throw it on the trash!! Its going to look superb when its done , cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Im in agreement with Tony, Polux the camo looks spot on.

I can't see the problem with the canopy so I can't comment on that' but it's looking too good to throw in the bin mate. It is a pity about the decals being out of register but couldn't you get some others

First Name
Dave
The paint job looks spot on to me Polux.The German cross on the fuselage is typical of the rubbish decals you get in some Academy (and all Trumpeter) kits.Cant you remove it and put a replacement on?.

D

dubster72

I think it's great Polux! That camo must have taken so long at such a small scale :smiling3:

I agree with Dave, Academy decals are universally awful

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks good to me. That camo would send me cross eyed after 5 minutes.

P

Polux

Thank you for your comments guys.

The most important for me was your opinion about the camouflage. :smiling3:

I don't promise anything Tony. Maybe I will finish it.... :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You've got to finish it Polux, that camouflage looks great to me :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Im in agreement with all above Polux the camo looks great,and the time to do,as well

I do like it and think it looks spot on, ;)

First Name
Gregg
That paint job looks spot on to my eyes.

Great build.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looks all good to me camo and canopy wise especially at 1/72 scale. If your not happy with the decals Polux replace or mask and paint them on. Hope your mojo returns quickly cheers John

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Polux - you are far too hard on yourself. You should be proud of that camo done in such a small scale.

It does sound as if you have mojo problems though...

For me the best 'mojo' treatment is to lash out on a new high quality, large scale kit of a challenging subject with the added interest of trying out new paints or weathering products for the first time.

There are certainly lots of interesting new tool kits coming on stream...

Does the Mosquito appeal - there are the HK and Tamiya kits now out in 1/32, both real beauties guaranteed to get the mojo going for anyone with even a half an interest in the subjects?

As for tools/paints etc.... Have you tried out the AKI Air Series yet? Perfect for the new Mossies....?

P

Polux

\ said:
It does sound as if you have mojo problems though...
Excellent point Barry!

You are right....I have a several problem with my mojo :sad:

Not...I haven't tried the AKI Air Series yet!! :smiling3:

Ah...certainly I need some new model to recuperate my mojo and refresh my mind!!

Thanks for your input Barry ;)

Polux

D

demon

Way too hard on yourself to my eye and a lot of others it's spot on you do like a challenge I took the easy option with the tamiya 48 version now I want another so I can do what you have done

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hope I'm not too late on this one Polux,but I can cheer you up on the canopy and the squiggle African desert scheme. ( The Jerries had the same problem with the Storch camo. I remember reading in an article once that there were stencils for this camo scheme available and of course the axis powers were not always able to get this stencil to spray as the factories producing the storch were forever shifting due to fighter production taking presidency.

So the ground crews had to adapt what they could on the individual airstrips or temporary airfields.

Robert