Straight lines

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
All that talk about painting on my 15mm figures reminds me.

With my shaky hands there's no way I can paint anything like straight lines so I'm virtually forced to use some sort of masking. I'm OK with the easy bits when spray painting but I always seem to end up with paint ridges or bleeding (not from stabbing myself with my craft knife - again!) when using a hairy stick.

Anyone got any advice please?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Dave. I can't help as I don't use masking tape, but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who does and can advise you.

Ron

First Name
Stuart
Hi Dave reference the bleeding, once you mask up spray the same colour again before applying the new colour you want - HTH

B

bobnv

Hi Dave, I'm with you, if I have to go more than 5mm I'm in trouble. In some of the other work I do I use Scotch Blue Painters Tape. Think is it is more for automotive or home masking than modeling, am sure I will be looking for some serious model masking real soon so whatever you are using for masking stick with it.
To get to the issue, what I do is lay the tape, then brush or spray a light clear coat to seal the edge then paint the color. If lucky and no bleed I use a fine Scotchbrite pad and softly get rid of the lumps. Scotchbrite can be a little more forgiving than sandpaper no matter how fine. Don't use the scotchbrite spongies for dish washing, use the kind you can find in the paint section of the hardware stores, usually available by the sheet, at least over here.
As a disclaimer, I use this method on other types of craft work and just getting back into modeling so have not tried it on models yet but has worked for me in the past and will be watching the answers you get hoping there is a better mousetrap.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Okay guys thanks. That should cure the paint bleeding (if only I could stop the real bleeding that easily!).

The last time I brush painted using masking tape though, I did end up with a ridge along the edge of the tape. I vaguely remember trying to remove it using one of those very fine nail polishing blocks but managed to remove all the paint down to the plastic! Was I just being ham fisted?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The last time I brush painted using masking tape though, I did end up with a ridge along the edge of the tape.
The main thing to do to avoid that, is to brush away from or along the edge of the tape, but never towards it. The latter pushes paint into the edge of the tape and so is very likely to cause a ridge. If you happen to do that anyway, brushing along and away from the edge before the paint dries should remove most of it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If it's a narrow straight line - like the boot topping at a ship's waterline, then you can use decal trim film - this is a sheet of solid colour, that you can cut to any shape & apply like a standard decal - you can get it in most standard colours.................
Dave

B

bobnv

GUYS why don't you use Tamyia small reel maskin tape as its very good an it leave a nice chrisp straight line ?
chris
Is there a significant difference between the yellow and white, I can get white by the end of next week have to wait till middle of next month or pay outragious shipping to get yellow both are 6mm

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gern, if you can, try to find a shop that sell sign writers brushes, might find them as calligraphy or coach-stripe brushes. The hairs are two or three times longer than a normal brush, the length absorbs the shakes and wiggles.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gern, if you can, try to find a shop that sell sign writers brushes, might find them as calligraphy or coach-stripe brushes. The hairs are two or three times longer than a normal brush, the length absorbs the shakes and wiggles.
Very good point Ian , these type of brushes are also used by nail technicians and can be found cheaply on ebay or even poundland ! They do make it easier to do a thin line , havent really tried doing a bang straight one though . Cheers tony

B

bobnv

Great Idea,
Am about to start my own issues with this dilemma, and this didn't even cross my mind, forgot all about it. Back in my high school days pen-striping was the rage so most everybody gave it a go at one time or another.
And yes the long hair was a savior plus the basic design of the brush was to hold a lot of paint and feed it to the tip so you could get milage out of the stroke, pressure determined the width of the line. With a little practice straight lines can be easy, it's the curly stuff that separates the men from the boys. I remember that I never made man status, hung up my brush.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A trick used in sign painting was to stand up a straight edge near the work and lay the brush on its' edge to help guide it. This puts the heel of your hand steady on the work or table with the straight edge to steady the brush. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think he means these Dave.

B

bobnv

Oooohhh! If it is those, I'm going to have to see if I can find some tutorial videos - they look really tricky!
Naw it is easy, just get a couple sheets of 1X2.5 M plastic fill them both with 30cm lines, when you are done you will either be good or dead;)