Straight lines

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The same as described by Laurie, Tim. The only difference from the Palmer method of handwriting is the pinky is tucked in. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So the brush “grip” is still the pen grip then? A picture will probably help my limited imagination here :tongue-out3: I’m only asking because I find painting technique knowledge far more useful than buying the next hyped bottle of magic wonderpaint...

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Check out videos of automotive pin striping. These people are amazing. PaulE

D

Deleted member 5496

So the brush “grip” is still the pen grip then? A picture will probably help my limited imagination here :tongue-out3: I’m only asking because I find painting technique knowledge far more useful than buying the next hyped bottle of magic wonderpaint...

This is the way I was taught as a probationer in an architects emporium in 1954
1621011563343.png

Missed a bit do not use the index finger to pull the brush as it is not supported. Only move the middle finger the rest should be in splendid animation.

3 glasses of wine (Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand) is the norm. to ensure that all nerves are under control.

Also an antidote if things go wrong.

Laurie

PS nails a mess having tests as they have become damned brittle & break. ie not chewed heavens not.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent Laurie, as I thought, not a pen grip, which would be brush held between thumb and forefinger.
Funnily enough, that’s how I hold a brush most of the time when painting miniatures. I occasionally use the pen grip, but only in hard to reach areas.....the grip you have illustrated makes it far easier to get consistent lines on the figure. Most of the brush movement then comes from the wrist, so you get more control.
If you want to see a weird grip, look at the painter Vince Ventrella on YouTube. He seems to hold the brush between his second and third fingers, and braces the handle against the fingers with his thumb....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want to see a weird grip, look at the painter Vince Ventrella on YouTube. He seems to hold the brush between his second and third fingers, and braces the handle against the fingers with his thumb....
That sounds a lot like how I see many (younger) British people on TV write …

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Excellent Laurie, as I thought, not a pen grip, which would be brush held between thumb and forefinger.
Funnily enough, that’s how I hold a brush most of the time when painting miniatures. I occasionally use the pen grip, but only in hard to reach areas.....the grip you have illustrated makes it far easier to get consistent lines on the figure. Most of the brush movement then comes from the wrist, so you get more control.
No Timothy :disappointed2: . The movment comes from the middle finger. Wrist stays firmly planted giving maximum control. ;) Happiness.

This is my way like all things in life ther are many alternatives. Wot not works for you.

Laurie

• Haha

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks for the replies on this reprisal of my original post. Lots of good advice but none of it is useful until I get my hands to stop shaking. Just to let you know how badly, do any of you remember my "Somewhere in Russia" dio:

View attachment 423004

That river is about 50mm wide and when I tried spreading out the filler I used for the water using a spatula, it was banging against both sides of the ravine. So my hand shakes up to about 30mm from side to side if you see what I mean. It's obviously not always that bad, but it gets worse the more I try to concentrate and the more delicate the work I'm trying to do. It's crazy but I can lift up a can of soup and put it in the cupboard when putting my shopping away without my hand shaking because I don't need to concentrate on holding it steady - but I can't carry a mug of tea the same size and weight without spilling it everywhere.

That's why I've not touched a model for 6 months or so and it's also why I'm REALLY hoping my visit to the neuro doc next month will provide some help.
Hi Dave,

New member. I do hope your visit helped, or has gone some way to finding help for you.
A couple of ideas that occur, which may help (or may be worth a try anyway?). For smaller detail work would the support of a gel mousemat help to stabilise you hand/wrist? You could extend that on a larger scale with a small bean bag, like those used for supporting tablets? As for longer straight lines, some sort of support, such as the rail on a guillotine? Obviously not that exactly, but that idea. Maybe a rail, or wood on the workbench? I believe signwriters sometimes use "rails" to keep their lines straight too?
Anyway, just some ideas. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Dale