Strange objects on my bench

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Does anyone have any idea what these are and what they are used for? I'm sure I was surfing the web one night with a nice glass of Laphroaig in my hand when I stumbled upon them. This is usually when I decide that I cannot possibly live without these items and spend 50% of what they are worth on postage. At any rate, they have been in my modeling equipment box for a couple of years now and I don't know what to do with them. The largest one is 3cm x 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm.What Are These.jpegWhat Are These.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven are they made out of form ? or they look like rubbers to me to rub out pencil lines ? but you got me also but some of the guys on here will propberly know
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I dug through an entire year of PayPal recipes and found them. They are for rubbing polish compound On to your model. I make very odd purchases sometimes.
Well i got the bit right sayin they look like rubbers lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well i got the bit right sayin they look like rubbers lol
HI Steven i see you are a new member what is your lot you like to build in this model world your favorite i means eg planes ' tanks ' ships ' cars ' ?
chris

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
HI Steven i see you are a new member what is your lot you like to build in this model world your favorite i means eg planes ' tanks ' ships ' cars ' ?
chris
I have an interest in armor and aircraft mostly but I do plan on building a few cars. I've been away from the hobby for a while and I'm just now getting back into it. My big "dream" is to build a really nice M-10 tank destroyer as a memorial to my Great Uncle who commanded one. I'm working on an Acadamy M-10 1:35 scale right now that is turning out nicely. I view this forum as my modeling university because I think there is a great deal to learn and/or relearn. Methods and materials have certainly changed since the mid-eighties.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The reason I asked is because they were often finished in gloss olive drab because that looked good on parade :smiling3:

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The reason I asked is because they were often finished in gloss olive drab because that looked good on parade :smiling3:
that Is interesting about the pre-42 tanks Being all spit shined and polished For parades. The tanks probably glared in the sun from above. I think what I bought the polishing blocks for was to put a shine on a 1965 Chevy Impala Super Sport 398. That was the car my parents went on their honeymoon together 55 years ago - but I have not started it yet.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
US Army non-combat vehicles (trucks etc.) were finished in gloss OD until ca. 1940, combat vehicles were to be painted in (off the top of my head) semi-gloss OD, which soon turned matt in practice. Because of the spit-and-polish culture of a peacetime army, though, in many units the combat vehicles were also painted in gloss OD. That practice ended pretty quickly once the USA got involved in the war, of course.

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
US Army non-combat vehicles (trucks etc.) were finished in gloss OD until ca. 1940, combat vehicles were to be painted in (off the top of my head) semi-gloss OD, which soon turned matt in practice. Because of the spit-and-polish culture of a peacetime army, though, in many units the combat vehicles were also painted in gloss OD. That practice ended pretty quickly once the USA got involved in the war, of course.
Was the "Shiney" color theme the reason all of the Air Force jets in the 1950's were bright silver bear metal?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not sure, but I think that was for speed: an unpainted aircraft is lighter, and matt paint causes drag, so by not painting them at all, the plane can go faster.