Struggling with Humbrol acrylic Hu165

A

AlasdairGF

Hi all - I brushpaint with Humbrol acrylics, and for the most part I've no trouble with them at all. Today I've been struggling, though... I'm trying to do the underside of a South African 1/48 Spitfire XVI and the instructions (via Alleycat decal pack) call for Hu165, a mid-light grey.

What I get is this (this is after 2 coats):

View attachment 117501

View attachment 117502

I'm thinning the paint by about 3 paint to 1 water and it's about the same consistency as I usually use. It's kind of frothy when it first goes on and sometimes appears initially to slightly bead even on the primer, but these both disappear and it settles down into a smooth surface while still wet. As it dries, though, you get this odd discolouration.

I know that paints are a suspension of pigments in a base, but this paint seems different... check it in my mixing tray:

View attachment 117503

I have to agitate it each time I dip the brush in just to get an even colour (which is where I assume the frothing comes from).

I've struggled with this Spitfire from the very beginning - so many things have gone wrong. I'm persisting though in the hope that I'm learning something every time I snap a small part or my wife breaks it during a full-contact dusting session. Sigh.

Any idea on (a) what's going on to cause this, and (b) anything I can do about it? Sadly, buying an airbrush setup isn't an option for me.

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p1.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks to me like your paints gone off , the pigment is separating , I'd buy another one and try it out on a piece of sprue and see what happens , if you have no joy try revell medium grey 43 it's the same colour

I hope this helps :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I agree with Alan the revel 43 acrylic is the best medium grey for undersurfaces of RAF fighters etc as I have done many with this

If you want a freebie pm me as I have about 6/ 8 in reserve ( long story )

Robert

A

AlasdairGF

Have sent PM, Robert - thanks for the offer! Alan - not sure what 'off' would mean... age? I only got the paint a few months ago, so unless it's been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years then suspect that's not the issue. Have used Humbrol paints by default (and easy to find locally), but thinking perhaps I might migrate to another brand.

Oh - any issues to be expected from using acrylics from different manufacturers on the same model?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Have sent PM, Robert - thanks for the offer! Alan - not sure what 'off' would mean... age? I only got the paint a few months ago, so unless it's been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years then suspect that's not the issue. Have used Humbrol paints by default (and easy to find locally), but thinking perhaps I might migrate to another brand.
Oh - any issues to be expected from using acrylics from different manufacturers on the same model?
Alisdair off just means it's no good it could have been stored in too warm a place or too cold a place it could be a bad batch , I've had it happen many times with different paint , that looks very similar to the problems I've had :smiling3:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Sounds like it may be just a dodgy paint, I'll be honest I airbrush all bar small parts I use Vallejo model air which I also brush with but have heard vallejos models paints (designed for brushing) are very good if you fancy a switch. I have only used humbrol paints twice on the model I am doing at the moment.

I must say I found them to be a bit of a pig and I had to strip and start again at one point paying attention to paint prep. I.e a really good shake then stir and thinned with my trusty daler rowney flow enhancer 60:40 then built the layers up.

As the other guys have said revel is pretty decent acrylic I think they are Aqua colour, these are easily available from your local hobbycraft.

Kind regards

Phil

D

demon

Don't know what might have caused this sounds like it might have been frozen at sometime in it's life I know as a painter and decorator that emulsion paint that has frozen goes off does it have an unusual smell if so that would be it

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
well it looks to me like it has been over thinned. I do it on purpose to see how far you can go before the pigments start to split out. Also is is a good way to see how your black paint is based; blue or green. As the pigments split out you can see the component pigments that have been blended.

How does it perform out the tin without thinner...?