Stuffing box/propshaft angle

K

Ken_C

Hi,

I'm just now getting started on my Model Slipways Envoy tug. I would like to know, at what angle the stuffing box needs to be set at. Should it be, a. parallel to the keel, b. parallel to the waterline or does it need to be pitched up or down? I know this may sound basic to some of you, but it is my first tug and I would like to get it installed correctly and avoid any problems "down the road". Thanks, KC

G

George

Ken,

You should find that the position of the stuffing tube and prop are shown on the drawings. If you have any doubt and get no satisfactory before Saturday then get back to me as I will be seeing the makers of the kit on Sunday

ATb

George

K

Ken_C

Ken,You should find that the position of the stuffing tube and prop are shown on the drawings. George
Thank you George for the most kind offer, but I am going to place a call to them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the information I need from them.

And yes, the shaft is shown on the plans. However, after years of working as a design engineer I've found that the quickest way into trouble is to "scale" a drawing. That's why we used to put "DO NOT SCALE DRAWING" on everything we drew. Ever built a model and taken measurements off a drawing/plan and found it wasn't correct? :darn: Again, thanks.......Ken C

S

standby1st

Ken,

Full size practice in vessels of this kind would have the stern shaft parallel to the keel.

Regards,

BM

K

Ken_C

A big Thank you to everyone that has replied to my inquiry. Obviously (except to me), it should be parallel to the keel, or the waterline as Model Slipways said. Close enough on this tug to be one and the same. Ken C

E

englandpils

Hi Ken, how you getting on with the Envoy?

I started building mine recently as my first model boat project and enjoying it immensly.

I have done the tow hook assembly and fitted both decks to the hull and working on the balwarks and cappings. Engine and propellor shaft etc fitted of course.

I have some pics if you want to see (send me an e mail address and I'll forward them)

Martin

K

Ken_C

Hi Ken, how you getting on with the Envoy?I started building mine recently as my first model boat project and enjoying it immensly.

I have done the tow hook assembly and fitted both decks to the hull and working on the balwarks and cappings. Engine and propellor shaft etc fitted of course.

I have some pics if you want to see (send me an e mail address and I'll forward them)

Martin
Hi Martin,

Thank you for the update on your build. Sounds as if you are making more headway than I. I've been traveling more than usual . I am still working on the inside of the hull with the equipment installation. I would like to enter some towing competitions with the Envoy, which is causing me to come up with a few modifications to integrated anchor points for bollards and such. I am also using a stepping motor from a milling machine table for the propulsion. It operates at a much lower rpm and provides quite a bit of torque without using reduction gear boxes and such. I like to keep things a simple as possible, less chance for problems down the road (I hope). Looking forward to getting the deck installed on mine. Thinking things will progress at a quicker rate at that point. I think that getting the operating systems right is the fiddly part.

I'd really enjoy seeing any photos you have of your build. My email addy is, abigail6@comcast.net

Ken C