SU-122 zvezda

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking at this Dave may be I should give 1/72 another go, I enjoyed doing the DUSTY BIN , of any one can remember that and a converted T34/85 in the Israeli / Arab conflict.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Primer looks to have gone on nicely. Looking at the build all credit to Zvezda.
Jim
See below
Looking at this Dave may be I should give 1/72 another go, I enjoyed doing the DUSTY BIN , of any one can remember that and a converted T34/85 in the Israeli / Arab conflict.
John ,Jim under a tenner im not telling people to build 1/72nd I understand its not everyone's but even if you bought one and built it on the side of what ever your building just dipping in and out for a bit of lite relief im sure people would enjoy it nice just to dip in else where even I have the odd stab at 35ers. Dave

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Best part of day sat at bench (dining table) used that 3rd gen acrylic stuff for first coat supposedly 4BO ,but saying that I've got about 5 diffrent pots of the stuff none of them the same ,going back to the paint that was bloody hard work something to discuss at a later time
20210725_123911.jpg
Wasn't happy with it but hey I've paid so I'll use it.
Like I said earlier wanted to try something diffrent and at under nine squid for the kit I wouldn't get to upset if it all went wrong ,
20210725_155700.jpg
20210725_155736.jpg
Don't think it went wrong just not as invisaged not upset as I learnt from it ,anyway put the decals on ,always my nemesis and sprayed a bit of mrp4bo here and there just to try and tone it up a bit(never used the stuff had it for ages my god wish I'd tried it sooner its the muts)
20210725_174227.jpg
Have given a coat of satin varnish (lucky stuff by ammo/mig)
20210725_181056.jpg
20210725_181237.jpg
20210725_181159.jpg
20210725_181213.jpg
So quite happy have learnt wich is the most important thing can start with the picking out details now so looking forward to the next stage . Sorry for all the pics but new phone equals new camera. C+C welcome back soon hopefully Dave.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Coming along nicely Dave, like the chipping effect. Hairspray,chipping fluid or something else?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Mark, chipping fluid ,hairsprays ok on 35ers as I've found a lot of scrubbing involved is no good at this scale,long way to go yet but as I said pleased so far. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all just read Alan G's thread on weathering tracks ,to look authentic or super rusty muddy ott although not authentic I like the latter it pleases the eye well mine at any rate ,like with this build I saw a video on stressing the paint work, so not rite but looking the biz so with the kit coming in at under nine pounds I had to have a go ,as I said didn't come out as anticipated still thought it was OK.I hated the green of the base coat ,stewed over it for a couple of days and decided to bash on it is what it is ,as is my usual want I have started on the engine deck and rear exausty bit ,it seems to be totally toning it down (well that horrid green anyway)the stressing is much less noticeable as well , chap in video said the contrast between top and bottom coats needed to be really pronounced else it would disappear under weathering etc thought I knew better ,like I said I've made a start
20210728_104447.jpg
20210728_104831.jpg
20210728_105044.jpg
Thanks to all for your encouragement please c+c welcome. Dave

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking good Dave, think I prefer the latter as well, probably because I'm no good at that very subtle worn look that some others can manage so well,lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That is looking very good. Especially impressive at 1/72. I think that both extremes of weathering have their place although a really dirty, beat up look needs an appropriate dio - image modelling this Battle of the Bulge scene :rolling:
1627479336813.png
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks good to me. Some dullcote would finish it unless your looking to mud it up..

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry John I missed you there was the dusty bin the mobile german mg pillbox/nest by ace cant say i remember the 34/85. Dave

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry John I missed you there was the dusty bin the mobile german mg pillbox/nest by ace cant say i remember the 34/85. Dave
Photo PM'D to you Dave.

Interesting point of the 4BO and AK. The first lot I bought was AK11159 Russian green. Didn't think it looked right. Looking again at the list I saw AK11368 Russian 4BO . Is this the one you have or was it the first AK11159.
I did buy the later one , seems ok, but now I'm starting to wonder. Going to have to put two models side by side to check.:nerd:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Photo PM'D to you Dave.

Interesting point of the 4BO and AK. The first lot I bought was AK11159 Russian green. Didn't think it looked right. Looking again at the list I saw AK11368 Russian 4BO . Is this the one you have or was it the first AK11159.
I did buy the later one , seems ok, but now I'm starting to wonder. Going to have to put two models side by side to check.:nerd:
Hi John its the 11368 russian 4BO still think its wrong comparing it to other pots ive got claiming to be 4BO ,struggled with it as well had a job to find a suitable thinner most of mine turning it gloopy can't remember what I used in the end tap water I think ,I've gone to the advise I hand out got a problem start with the manufacturers own product so have got hold of AK dedicated 3gen thinner ,not sure I'll rush to use it again ,must say was very impressed with thr MRP paint had it ages never used it ,blimy sprayed straight from the pot ultra smooth great stuff. I like the ordinary mig ammo paints (yellow caps)you can thin the ars out of them and lay them down nice and translucent can't see it happening with 3rd gen but were see.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John its the 11368 russian 4BO still think its wrong comparing it to other pots ive got claiming to be 4BO ,struggled with it as well had a job to find a suitable thinner most of mine turning it gloopy can't remember what I used in the end tap water I think ,I've gone to the advise I hand out got a problem start with the manufacturers own product so have got hold of AK dedicated 3gen thinner ,not sure I'll rush to use it again ,must say was very impressed with thr MRP paint had it ages never used it ,blimy sprayed straight from the pot ultra smooth great stuff. I like the ordinary mig ammo paints (yellow caps)you can thin the ars out of them and lay them down nice and translucent can't see it happening with 3rd gen but were see.
Dave, I use their thinner, remembering what you said ! :smiling2:
Just been and had a comparison between the Vallejo 4BO that I've sprayed before and the tractor with the AK 3rd Gen. Looking at it with daylight tubes it does seem to be darker. Either that is caused by using a rust primer from AK , normally I'd have used a Vallejo green primer or it is indeed different.