SU PAINT HURLING.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good afternoon dearly beloved.:smiling3:
The painting has gone ok, but having seen a video on Utube this morning where multiple coloured primers were used I think I have some way to go.
All ways see these things too late, but here we are.

Just sprayed in green primer 4BO , al least it came out well , just a spot of Vallejo flow improver has stopped all the dry tip problems, just don't over do it .

Moving on I sprayed the top coat of 4BO , didn't bother with any high lights purley because of the impending Snow Camo. Steve this is the way forward , one colour. :surprised::smiling3:

Had some fun of course fitting those tracks, they were quite stiff from my enthusiastic gluing ! fitted them in the end, not spot on around the front or rear but half of it will not be seen.

Ending up like this.

:crying:
Ok you can see the bottom join, no way was I going to be able to fit a piece of .4 mm wire at that distance, so glue it was. :disappointed:328394
Bit of a sag , but they didn't fall apart like they had in the painting stage, hence the use of the Ca.

The internal detail is pleasing, used the Brass shells I got, using the kit ones for empty cases.

Having had some advice from the forum earlier. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: thank you. I set too and did the snow camo.

One pot of snow camo .

used these brushes . 328398
Wanted to show the brush marks , instead of a blanket cover. Don't know if to do any more, here are some more shots. please say what you think.I still have to wait for it to dry fully before applying a soft brush wetted to remove the camo from the unit markings.

Comments more than welcome, as I said should I do any more coats ?

John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I wouldnt be adding any more white wash if it were me. What are your plans next?? ie will you be weathering it to dirty it up a bit, another pin wash etc??

P.S Figures are awesome :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I wouldnt be adding any more white wash if it were me. What are your plans next?? ie will you be weathering it to dirty it up a bit, another pin wash etc??

P.S Figures are awesome :thumb2:

Thanks Steve. ...... not really sure what to do to tell you the truth, will give the decals a little clean as I said, but weathering does appeal. I shall hold back until a few more comment. Don't think a pinwash would work ? do you , but some weathering esp on the lower half might be good .
John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mud/ice mixture on tracks would be cool. Wouldn't add any more whitewash. I think some judicious wet brushing top down here and there and where wear most severe would add to the overall look. Figs came out well. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi John
Looking good. I also like the figures. I would just dirty it up a bit especially the back plate. Would they have whitewashed the wheels?
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
John,
Agree with Steve and Paul....it’s plenty white enough I think.

Found some pictures that may help you decide on the effect your after?
for discussion purposes

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John, Si's pics. are telling in that the amount of snow in the scenes is minimal. None on roof tops
or in trees and little on the ground. If you're going for light snow you might want to lighten your vehicle coverage to match. Keep in mind the time of year, early winter and late winter would indicate the possibility of unfrozen ground, hence muddy tracks. Mid winter mostly snow and ice with some surface scraping caused by vehicle weight. Your call.
Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The photo on the lower left is interesting as it shows that they used a disruptive pattern rather than an overall whitewash.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mud/ice mixture on tracks would be cool. Wouldn't add any more whitewash. I think some judicious wet brushing top down here and there and where wear most severe would add to the overall look. Figs came out well. PaulE
Thanks Paul..... Wet brush will be done in the morning.

hi John
Looking good. I also like the figures. I would just dirty it up a bit especially the back plate. Would they have whitewashed the wheels?
Jim
Hi Jim thank you .I see Si's photos answer that for us about the wheels
John,
Agree with Steve and Paul....it’s plenty white enough I think.

Found some pictures that may help you decide on the effect your after?
View attachment 328410
for discussion purposes
Thanks Sir, great photos, plenty to think about.
John, Si's pics. are telling in that the amount of snow in the scenes is minimal. None on roof tops
or in trees and little on the ground. If you're going for light snow you might want to lighten your vehicle coverage to match. Keep in mind the time of year, early winter and late winter would indicate the possibility of unfrozen ground, hence muddy tracks. Mid winter mostly snow and ice with some surface scraping caused by vehicle weight. Your call.
Rick H.
Your right on that Rick about the roof tops. See more below
The photo on the lower left is interesting as it shows that they used a disruptive pattern rather than an overall whitewash.
Pete
Frightening more like Pete . Just shows how differing they could be .

Thanks for all the comments, plenty to dream about tonight. !
Can see some poles / trunks on the side as in those photos from Si .
The SU will be inside the building, could have some snow on the front as the snow will be coming from that direction. So the roof will have some along with the ground. Will clean some of the snow camo off tomorrow then apply some weathering to the lower sections. .
Bit of a learn as you go on this as never done snow before, but certainly looking fwd to it. Will have to take it slowly and come back tomorrow to gleen comments .
Thanks .
John .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lookin' good John.

I've not seen it done anywhere else, but if the crew used a broom or similar to splash the white camo all over the tank, wouldn't they have got some on their uniforms as well?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lookin' good John.

I've not seen it done anywhere else, but if the crew used a broom or similar to splash the white camo all over the tank, wouldn't they have got some on their uniforms as well?
[/QUOTE
Dave hi, thank you, good point, when I looked at the crew and noticed how clean they were I was in two minds as to mess them up a bit but decided it might look odd .:confused:
John.