Submarines- any advice?

D

daveb2

Hello all

I've been interested in the idea of a model submarine for a while now. I'd love one of the Engel kits, I'm guessing that Patrick Henry and Gato are the old SLEC models, but they're big and a bit expensive. I think static dive is out of my price range!

I know there are some dynamic divers out there too. Presently I'm most drawn to the Dumas Akula, possibly the Bluefish (Gato again!). I know there are others like the Robbe Seawolf and HFM deep dive 6.

Has anyone got any experience, knowledge or view of these kits or others I might try?

Last year I went to a model show in Cheltenham and on the pond was a stand off scale sub that the owner told me had been built from plans a friend had drawn up that was an easy(ish) build. Anyone else done similar if so what are the pitfalls?

Thanks

Dave

D

duncan

Some beauties at model boat shows,rusty hulls ( in fibreglass) to perfection etc. Have you looked at the SubCommititee web site , very American but inspirational. Maybe a UK branch?:noidea:

A

adzam

i looked at a dumas kit , but i chose the robbe seawolf kit . this was the advice given to me by my model shop, the reason being is that they have had bad experience`s with "alleged" poor kit quality and parts missing.

i only part built the robbe seawolf i had , losing interest half way thru the build.

however !!!

if you check the robbe website, you`ll see there is a NEW version of the seawolf, and very smart it looks too.

i have a friend who has converted a sea wolf to static diving(altho run times are down to 20 mins) .

there`s a local regatta today, if any subs are there i`ll take pics and post them here for you.

adz..

A

ajg141

Ran my old Seawolf this morning at said regatta. For the first time ever it stayed down and cruised at periscope depth until I hit a rock! Had to use about 8 degrees down on the front dive planes to make it work. The sub has never leaked and works well for a dynamic diver. The only major problem I've had is splitting the nose cone along the seams with those darned rocks! Pity my sternwheeler was misbehaving - it would have crawled over the rocks! The static diver Adzam refers to works really well - I'm looking forward to seeing its innards shortly.

AJG

A

adzam

aha !

nice to see u ajg

unfortunately , it seems i took pics of nearly every other boat there, other than your sternwheeler and sub!! :darn:

however if you have pics, feel free to post them here .

Adz..

D

daveb2

Hmm.. dodgy quality in a sub worries me a little but is that just that they're not as solid as something four times the price?

I like the idea of a diesel/electric rather than nuke, it gives you a reason for it to be on the surface after all, but I'd heard the Akula was a better bet than the Bluefish. Maybe that's to do with that quality concern?

Yes there are some amazing weathering jobs done. I saw some verry nice streaky rust on an X-craft and a u-boat a while back. I'd be fairly happy just getting one to work never mind look that good.

I've followed a few links off the SubComittee site and end up looking at things built from GRP and ingenuity or how to make working torpedos and missiles. Either way it's not getting me onto (under?) the water any time in the near future just fueling daydreams. I reckon as a starting point I need to try a kit then get clever.

Dave

A

ajg141

I wouldn't blame the manufacturer - it's a skipper/builder problem in my case!

The Sea Wolf was built over 10 years ago (from memory) & the sternwheeler is even older. Still the Typhoon is progressing - albeit slowly. Also trying to revive an old Krick U-boat (wooden bread & butter hull!) that my sister-in-law dropped off its display perch years ago. There's also an ageing Resolution with micro-switch/ballast tank problems that's needing my attention in due course.

Would try & post pics - but haven't figured how to do that yet. Not really all that computer literate!.

AJG

M

Maplegarth

Hiya you could always look for a old 2nd hand sub in need of some repair ? I picked up 2 just after christmas one a german mini sub the "Seehund " the other a ageing "Resolution ", the seehund is now ready to sail ( or sink lol lol ) its a cheep way to start with a sub & you learn a lot without costing a lot, might be worth thinking about

D

daveb2

Yes I've thought about looking for a "previously enjoyed" example but they don't seem to come up (pun intended) too often. Probably I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Dave

A

ajg141

Maplegarth

Is your Resolution one of the Ron Perrot models? The wiring to the dive tank micro-switch assemblies on mine can best be described as 'non-functional'! Needs completely re-wired (I bought it like this) and it was reluctant to operate after my attempts. Put it under a sheet to be looked at later when I have the time. Would be very pleased if you have a copy of the wiring diagram available.

AJG

M

Maplegarth

hi ajg141 yes same model but mine has no electrics in it at all ( lol lol ) so I'm looking for photos of the setup even part setup will help I can work it from there just need a basic set to work from did same thing with seehund that had a few bits in it but it had to be all wired up but I got there lol

K

KenP

I've started saving for an Engels sub, either the U-177 or the Gato. The main thing is to keep my piggy-bank away from she-who-must-not know !!!!!!!

A

ajg141

Well done! You won't be sorry when the piggie bank is full and the U-177/Gato arrives. Mind you it'll come in a very large box (or 2) and "she who must not know" might wonder what you're up to. Fortunately my other half seldom ventures into our garage and certainly she never lifts the boat covers.

D

daveb2

It must be my lucky day!

I've just picked up a second hand Patrick Henry. It needs a strip down and rebuild but apart from a couple of missing fins, where the oposite is present so I can use as a pattern, and a drive battery it's complete.

The chap I had it off bought it a few years back from a friend with the intention of giving it a refit but never got round to it and as it was in the way decided to get rid. Now it's in my garage waiting for the promised refit, hopefully this time it'll happen.

Would anybody out there happen to have a copy of the build instructions, scan photocopy or whatever I could have? I'm not sure of it's age or if it's SLEC or Engel.

Any help would be splendid.

Thanks

Dave

A

ajg141

Dave

I know someone with an Engel Patrick Henry. Will have a word with him over the weekend and will PM you Sunday evening as to whether he still has the plans.

Andrew

D

daveb2

:yes: That would be brilliant Andrew. I think I’ve probably used up my ration of luck for the time being as I got it for a good price so the idea of some instructions is probably a dream. I was thinking of trying a new thread here for a while with a more appropriate title then go to Engel themselves.

The thing itself seems, to me anyway, complete even down to the radio, main battery (probably just ballast now), chargers etc but it’s been out of use for so long it needs a complete strip down and rebuild before I’d be happy about using it.

I suppose I look at it as getting two kits in one, the one where I turn it back into parts and then again when I put the parts back together.

Thanks for trying even if it comes to nothing.

Dave

D

daveb2

Big thanks time

:no1:

A big public thanks to Andrew and his friend Alistair for helping me with a set of plans for this project.

Thanks both

Dave

M

Mankster

MaplegarthIs your Resolution one of the Ron Perrot models? The wiring to the dive tank micro-switch assemblies on mine can best be described as 'non-functional'! Needs completely re-wired (I bought it like this) and it was reluctant to operate after my attempts. Put it under a sheet to be looked at later when I have the time. Would be very pleased if you have a copy of the wiring diagram available.

AJG
Are you still after the wiring diagram?

A

ajg141

Ramesh

If you have a copy I'd be grateful to see one. Resolution is still lying up on a shelf looking sorry for herself whilst the Typhoon nears completion. I did discover 2 faulty micro switches on the Resolution dive tanks and will need to replace these. I have evolved my own circuitry but it would be nice to see what it should really look like! One thing that does bemuse me is that there are 2 micro switches on the outside of the ballast tanks that sit in the water permanently and these are not 'sealed' unlike the battery on the Sheerline system. I presume that these should be sealed in some way - do you happen to know? Any help would be gratefuly appreciated.

Andrew