suffolk newbie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi, well as a kid I used 'Revell contacta professional 25g',
I don't think it's a bad glue, but for me the problem was that everytime I had a bit of time to work on a model I lost 20 minutes cleaning the needle :D... When the glue is stuck in the needle you have to take out the needle and hold it above a flame to burn out the glue...

I think you don't need to buy another glue but you can give it a try some day ;)

Cheers
Steven
Ha, anything that involves fire is right by me ! :smiling2: .
John .
Alan excuse me interrupting in the thread

W

windymiller

no worries buddy, my first post may of eluded to the fact that i am 37 !!! i meant its been 37 years since i built a model and am now hence 51 lol

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
no worries buddy, my first post may of eluded to the fact that i am 37 !!! i meant its been 37 years since i built a model and am now hence 51 lol
Alan .
Ha only 37 year break, :smiling2::smiling2: I came back after 56 years , I'm so old Steve Jones thinks I had a horse and cart !
In the short time I've been back (4 years ) you soon pick up with all the help on here, best forum you could have picked .
John .

X

Xarathustra

TBH, I’d say: build your first model(s) without these kinds of embellishments. Walk before you run, etc.

I can whole-heartedly agree with this statement...even if I didn't take the advice on board :flushed:
The Sdkfz 251/1 I'm still in the process of finishing has been an utter nightmare using Eduard's finest brass fiddly add-on bits!
I fairness I have leaned a lot of what not to do throughout the extremely unpleasant experience I've gained over the last few months!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Damn, I'd kill to be 51! Nothing like adding almost 20 years to your life. Oh, and JR. wouldn't surprise me a bit if you did have a horse and cart. The Lads at my wingy thing job have accused me of working on Pterodactys! Can you imagine, a youngster like me having to endure such abuse? Shameful!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Damn, I'd kill to be 51! Nothing like adding almost 20 years to your life. Oh, and JR. wouldn't surprise me a bit if you did have a horse and cart. The Lads at my wingy thing job have accused me of working on Pterodactys! Can you imagine, a youngster like me having to endure such abuse? Shameful!
Terrible thing to have said about you Rick . A photo taken last year of me going shopping .

Photo for discussion only .
JR

W

windymiller

i also recently returned to the sport / hobby of airguns and its been an eye opener just how things have changed, i suspect the same will be evident with models, sadly my mum is very ill at the moment and im hoping immersing myself in a build can just alleviate my mind of some of the troubles we, at times, end up carrying with us if that makes sense :sleeping2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can whole-heartedly agree with this statement...even if I didn't take the advice on board :flushed:
Learning from your own mistakes is easier than learning from others, in my experience :smiling3:

The Sdkfz 251/1 I'm still in the process of finishing has been an utter nightmare using Eduard's finest brass fiddly add-on bits!
Just finish what you have without adding more etched bits? If you’re not enjoying something, you shouldn’t keep doing it “because I already got the things” or, worse, “because I paid for it” — better to not use all you have (or have paid for) if that means you’ll actually enjoy what you’re doing, than feeling obligated to use all you have and not enjoy it.

X

Xarathustra

Learning from your own mistakes is easier than learning from others, in my experience :smiling3:

Just finish what you have without adding more etched bits? If you’re not enjoying something, you shouldn’t keep doing it “because I already got the things” or, worse, “because I paid for it” — better to not use all you have (or have paid for) if that means you’ll actually enjoy what you’re doing, than feeling obligated to use all you have and not enjoy it.

I've done all the etching I can. Then several bits 'pinged' off during the weathering process :tears-of-joy: (I can laugh about this now!). This caused a complete standstill in production...and some 'taking of stock' as to whether I could in fact be bothered with this any more.
The figures I'd got lined up for a 'scene' proved just too difficult to paint to any half-decent standard (of mine). Shaky hands & crap vision have put paid to this.
I'm going to finish this thing...but the only way is without any figures at all :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Arrrgh lol

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
i also recently returned to the sport / hobby of airguns and its been an eye opener just how things have changed,
Me too, bought several air rifles, but realised my eyesight just isn't up to shooting now. Must get around to selling them.

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Pete

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alan,

Welcome to the forum, you should fit in nicely somewhere between 453 Race and 570 Bodger :smiling:

Always banter & helpful advice available, especially from the "Rabble".

Me too, bought several air rifles, but realised my eyesight just isn't up to shooting now. Must get around to selling them.

Pete, there used to be a good market for second hand body parts, heard of people selling kidney's etc but never eyes!!!! :smiling::smiling::astonished::upside::flushed:

Paul.
:smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
i also recently returned to the sport / hobby of airguns and its been an eye opener just how things have changed, i suspect the same will be evident with models, sadly my mum is very ill at the moment and im hoping immersing myself in a build can just alleviate my mind of some of the troubles we, at times, end up carrying with us if that makes sense :sleeping2:

Sad to read that Alan, hope things improve .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan,

Welcome to the forum, you should fit in nicely somewhere between 453 Race and 570 Bodger :smiling:

Always banter & helpful advice available, especially from the "Rabble".

Pete, there used to be a good market for second hand body parts, heard of people selling kidney's etc but never eyes!!!! :smiling::smiling::astonished::upside::flushed:

Paul.
:smiling:
If there any eyes going I'd be in the market !
John .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, John gets first dibs on eyes....
He had to leave the Navy ‘cos his sailors said
“Aye” instead of “aye aye” and his parrot said “pieces of four”....

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome from me too Alan.
Muck in and have fun.

“Aye” instead of “aye aye” and his parrot said “pieces of four”....

Jeez Tim, please don't mention John's parrot again. I'm still having nightmares that it's still lurking in my U.Boat bunk!

• Love
Reactions: JR
W

windymiller

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Pete
what have you got pete ??

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
what have you got pete ??
Early Webley Mk 3 .177, early HW45 .22, SMK CO2 powered .22, Diana Mod 79 .22, Snow Peak undelever .22, Relum Mod 322, Meteors in both calibres, Milbro G36 .22, Baikal .177, SMK 12, Cometa 50, NAC .177, Z II (Czech), an unbranded sidelever, and a Webley Nemesis pistol.

Pete