Suggestions!

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Hi guys,

As my modelling experience grows and grows I'm venturing into the world of pigments.

I have the pigments but would love advice on application/tools etc...I've studied a few online tutorials and look forward to practising.

Thanks in advance!
<Waits with bated breath,finger hovering over buy now button in scale shop>

Del

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm just entering the world of pigments myself. Some are AK and some CMK. Not tried others. To be honest i've only ever applied them with a old knackered brush and then sealed with matt varnish. AK Interactive have some really useful vids on YT

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have started in the right place by going online. There are loads of tutorials to help you on the way. A few things to keep an eye on are the different grades ie smooth pigments for dust work and coarse for mud etc. Matt varnish watered down is a good fixing substance but always remember it dries rock hard. Pigment fixers are sometimes aggressive so make sure your model is well protected with Varnish, Klear etc. Use an old brush. Try and use a combination of mixed shades ie three or four different dark shades mixed to make one dark shade. Best mud effects are applied from a height whereas best dust effects are applied directly. As you say the best thing is practice and have fun.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Same as Alan for me Del,
An old,worn out,brush and then stipple them on...... seal with varnish or Dullcoat :thumb2: ,
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pretty much the same for me, but I use artist fixative to seal it In. I also make the finest I use by rubbing pastel chalks on 800 grade wet n dry paper.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Thanks guys!

I'm going to use Vallejo air Matt varnish to seal it all in, I have these two sets which come recommended.

Del.

Attachments

• PXL_20201218_160842615.jpg
    PXL_20201218_160842615.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20201218_160850959.jpg
    PXL_20201218_160850959.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 5

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Del

Pigments can be very useful, but like Tim suggested, artists pastels are very cheap, come in hundreds of colours and scraped or sanded they make great raw pigment powders. Another cheap option is artists pigments that you can get in an art supplies store. These come in 2.5 oz pots which will last you a lifetime. In addition to make thick mud etc you can mix powdered pigments with an artist's acrylic gel that can be found with ceramic dust, sand or just thick gel mixes. These acrylic gels will also act as a fixative. Finally as well as all the fixative ideas already mentioned, Matte Mod Podge thinned down with water and a drip of washing up soap will fix pigments really well.

John

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Del

Pigments can be very useful, but like Tim suggested, artists pastels are very cheap, come in hundreds of colours and scraped or sanded they make great raw pigment powders. Another cheap option is artists pigments that you can get in an art supplies store. These come in 2.5 oz pots which will last you a lifetime. In addition to make thick mud etc you can mix powdered pigments with an artist's acrylic gel that can be found with ceramic dust, sand or just thick gel mixes. These acrylic gels will also act as a fixative. Finally as well as all the fixative ideas already mentioned, Matte Mod Podge thinned down with water and a drip of washing up soap will fix pigments really well.

John
Cheers John, greatly appreciated!