Suitable field gun for universal carrier?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I'm in the middle of painting my Tamiya universal carrier and thought it would be nice to have it towing something.

I've looked at the 25 pounder but wondered if that might have been a bit big for the wee beast to pull in real life, so would the 6 pounder be more appropriate?

As ever I'm not too concerned with perfect historical accuracy, I just don't want something that looks comical.

Thanks,
Andy.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Scratchy,

Sorry for the absence of late. I will try to catch up ASAP or as work allows. To answer your question, although I'm not an expert on British vehicles, I would say a 2-pounder up to a 6-pounder would work for your plan. The 6-pounder was normally towed by a Lloyd Carrier, but in a pinch could be towed by a Bren. There are some kits out there to fit the bill....

Miss your pic Andy and I didn't know who this was until I saw Paintguy. Hope you are doing well and not working too hard!!!

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
These might help Andy

default (2).jpg

default (3).jpgdefault.jpg

If you are after the weird and wonderful the Germans commandeered loads of them when they over ran France. I am sure you could do one towing a PAK 37 or 38 in German colours. This one has an AA gun on it!

universal-aa-03.jpg

Look forward to seeing the build

Steve

default (1).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A 2lb'er QF or a 7lb'er were pretty normal tows for the Universal.
I could imagine that one could pull a 25 on flat ground but think it would bog down in the mud.
I saw a photo some place of one being used to tow a bomb trolly through the mud at an airfield. In might have been on Malta....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A flying Universal Carrier...that's one I've not seen Steve. :tears-of-joy:

1568132592255.png

The 6 pounder is light enough even for a jeep to pull...perhaps it could have been the modified airborne version no pun intended.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
UniversalCarrierMalta.jpg
A ha! I had saved it for reference! Thinking about it I just need the Aircraft and I could do this as a dio LOL. (like i would build a diorama).

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all!

I did find some pictures online (although more are always appreciated) but with my limited knowledge I wouldn't know one from the other so they didn't help me much!

Managed to find a Tamiya 6 pounder floating around on ebay so decision made. Thanks again.

Allen - good to hear from you. I've not been around much myself but I'm working myself as hard as ever. With a family history like mine I need to fit everything in while I'm still around :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
universalcarriermalta-jpg.356427
Is that on Malta? The camouflage is certainly very similar to that of the tanks deployed there.