Sukhoi SU-33 Flanker D - 1/72 - Finished

C

Caledonia

Hi all, have now finished the above model. Details can be found in the 'Under Construction' Forum. Essentially it is an amalgum of a Zvezda + Italeri Kit in the ratio of roughly 10/90 respectively. Hope you enjoy viewing. I've thrown in the last photo to show the scale difference between a 1/32 and a 1/72 model - beware. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24010

View attachment 24011

View attachment 24012

View attachment 24013

View attachment 24014

View attachment 24015

View attachment 24016

View attachment 24017

43-SU-33.jpg

44-SU-33.jpg

42-SU-33.jpg

41-SU-33.jpg

40-SU-33.jpg

45-SU-33.jpg

46-SU-33.jpg

47-SU-33.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's an ace piece of work Derek! Especially in such small scale. One to be proud of.

It does help you've chosen a beautiful 'plane and picked a marking scheme to match.

Gern

F

Fenlander

You know, I had forgotten that this is in 1:72. I have been thinking it is a great 1:48th, wow..... Stunning build and modification Derek, possibly the best 1:72 Ruski paint job I have seen. One to be very proud of mate that is one stunning looking aircraft.

R

Richy C

Thats superb Derek , no way would I have thought that was a 1/72 either until it was next to the 1/48 , fantastic build , you`ve given me the bug now I`ve never done a 1/72 , going on eBay now to try and pick myself up a bargin

Cheers

Richy

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Derek, great paint work. I'm not normally a jet type person, but this has some really nice lines which might just mean I have to try one (I haven't got any Russian in my collection) and couldn't be timed better ! I'm just about to paint the exhaust nozzels on a 1:72 Phantom, and the finish you achieved here is exactly what I'm after, so do tell, how did you do it ? The instructions (Fujimi) say paint it burnt iron all over, but I don't fancy that, yours looks much better.

Regards

Colin m..........

C

Caledonia

Gern, thanks for your kind comments as always. Yes for me the Flanker family are one of the most graceful aircraft in the sky. I would love to get my hands on a quality kit for a SU-33.

Graham, thanks for your comments. I like to do a 1/72 between my 1/48 (preferred scale) as they don't take up so much time.

Richy, thanks, I find a 1/72 gives more pleasure than any other scale, if done well.

Colin, thanks, have replied to your query under the RN Phantom posting. If I hadn't done the 1/32 Trumpeter Flanker I would have chosen the 1/48 Academy one. There's a challenge for you - photos please.

As an aside, when I make a model I like to compare sizes with other aircraft of the same scale, so to demonstrate what a beast the Flankers are, I attach a photo of an EE Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane and JU-52 along side each other; all 1/72. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24027

Compare.jpg

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Very nice Derek, great paint work. I'm not normally a jet type person, but this has some really nice lines which might just mean I have to try one (I haven't got any Russian in my collection) and couldn't be timed better ! I'm just about to paint the exhaust nozzels on a 1:72 Phantom, and the finish you achieved here is exactly what I'm after, so do tell, how did you do it ? The instructions (Fujimi) say paint it burnt iron all over, but I don't fancy that, yours looks much better.Regards

Colin m..........
Hi Colin, I was re-reading your above note, and when I replied I had it in my head that you wanted to know how I did the exhaust for my Phantom, but reading it again perhaps you meant how did I do the exhaust on the Sukhoi. Please advise if you were asking about the Sukhoi. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One word: Gob smacked (?) Do you know what I too had no idea this was in 1/72. I was sure it was a 1/32.

Derek that is an amazing bit of work you have done there. Love the paint job. Totally different to 99% of all I have seen!

Thanks for sharing.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Derek,

Sorry for the confusion, it was the Sukhoi exhaust I was interested in. My F4 exhausts are a lot smaller, but the effect you have here, is the one I want to use.

Regards

Colin M......

C

Caledonia

Ian, thanks for your kind comments, the colours were inspired by the flight simulator game 'Lock On' which is an excellent reference source for Russian and American Aircraft. The colours are based on the earlier prototype SU-33 which had darker camo than the later versions. Cheers Derek

Colin, no problem. I used old stock paint. The exhaust nozzles were first painted with Xtracolor - X508 Burnt Iron. I then sealed this area with Microscale's Micro Gloss and painted it with a mix of Revell enamel paint Steel + Brass, this was applied using a dry brush technique and again sealed the area with Microscale's Micro Gloss. For the end section some Black was added, and again sealed with Micro Gloss. To tone down the effect I applied a light coat of Tamiya X-19 Smoke, and yes you guessed it, sealed this area with Microscale's Micro Gloss. Using the Micro Gloss between colours prevents the next coat dissolving the under coat. Hope that this is of some use. When I have small areas like this to paint, I take a double layer of cooking foil, gently press my thumb in to make a thimble shape and add the paint using drops off a cocktail stick until I have the colour mix I want. When finished you just wrap up the foil and throw it away - no cleaning up. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the detailed description Derek. Although just to confuse myself, I've just discovered Humbrol 'metal cote' (their spelling not mine) which gives some interesting results.

Regards

Colin M......