Sukhoi SU-33 Flanker D - Aircraft Carrier Bourne 1/72 Zvezda

C

Caledonia

Got this from an online firm in the Czech Republic, obchod.valka.cz

a fair amount of flash and raised panel lines so it will be fun, but I don't care I have been looking for one for some time. Would have preferred a 1/48 but !!!

There seems to be a bit of re-boxing here, I believe the Italeri Sea Flanker is a close cousin, also the Decals on the Academy kit looks identical. I chose the Zvezda kit being Russian, and hoping it might be more accurate.

Will let you know how I get on. Plan to paint it as the Flight Simulator Game 'Lock On'

Cheers Derek

View attachment 23537

View attachment 23538

View attachment 23539

P1..jpg

P2..jpg

P3..jpg

B

backonthecase

Well well I like the look of the Flanker, and this seems to be it at its' smartest... :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

It looks a sweet aircraft Derek. I have a soft spot for the modern(is) Soviet/Russian jets, they are stunning looking. Look forward to seeing this come together.

C

Caledonia

Oh Dear, Now that I have had a detailed look at the kit, I think I am the proud owned of a Sows Ear. No details at all in the cockpit, no markings on the Wings or Tail where they fold for deck stowage, Flaps missing, Ailerons wrong, Canards the wrong shape etc etc. Found a Portuguese review of the Italian equivalent Kit and if fairs little better. Oh well upwards and onwards, get out the swear box.

Portuguese Review: -

Plastimodelismo.org • Ver T

(Use the Google Toolbar to Translate)

View attachment 23600

P4.jpg

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Looks like you have a few evenings fun in front of you!!! I am sure you will make something good out of it.

C

Caledonia

Graham, Thanks for the words of encouragement - give a dog a bone springs to mind.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I have studied the Italeri Kit in detail on the web site I referenced earlier and decided to buy it (same kit different box). I am going to attempt to cannibalize both kits into one. The Italeri Kit has much better cockpit and wheel well details, so I plan to use the fuselage of the Italeri and the wings of the Zvezda kit as they have positionable slats, flaps, rudders etc although the lengths will need adjusting. So the razer saw will be busy. The share price of Milliput and Squadron Filler is about to rocket. On the other hand it might just be my Waterloo. Will post any progress. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23659

View attachment 23660

View attachment 23661

View attachment 23662

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

F

Fenlander

Sounds like you have a plan. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OOOOH this is going to get interresting!

Must admit, I'm a bit puzzeled. Same kit different box; OK got that. The cock-pit better on the one and the wings better on the other? When you say the same kit different box, I guess you mean that the tooling was sold on and now made under the Zevzda name? Or do you mean its Zevzda's version of the same plane?

What ever I will be watching this one!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Ian, Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was the Portuguese review shows the latest box front art work from Italeri, whereas in the UK all the sites I have found show the old box front art work, see my posting #6, the contents are however the same. Some websites suggests that it is the same tooling used by Italeri and Zvezda, but having both kits I can confirm that they are definitely different kits. The Italeri is very much better detailed. The Italeri kit however has the same fundamental error as I described in posting #4. Have been checking the wing areas, and the Italeri kit has the larger surface area, I don't know if it is accurate, but the SU-33 has a larger wing for lift off of the Aircraft Carrier, so I will be using the main part of the Wing from the Italeri kit but removing the leading edge slats and trailing edge Flaperons. I am not one for going over models with a scale rule, but I do try to make them a reasonable representation of the real thing. Thanks for your interest. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok I'm on the Ball now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, still sounds like an interresting project!

Ian M

K

Kai

I got a Su-37 from zvesda and hav been putting it off finishing for a while now it is a horrid kit but dont like to lose to plastic lol

C

Caledonia

Hi Rik, Thanks for the warning, was planning to do the SU-37 at some future date. I know what you mean about not giving up, as I said before - give a dog a bone. Cheers Derek

Hi Ian, Haven't started the kit yet, been scouring the internet for photos, drawings etc, and thinking up ideas for representing the hinges on the Wings. The hinge detail at 1/72 wont be much. Will start cutting plastic later this week. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sounds like some serious kit bashing about to get underway. Good luck with it, I'll be an interested viewer.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Steve, Thanks for the good wishes. I have never been this adventurous with a kit before so it will be a challenge, but that’s what this Forum is all about – pushing yourself. Just hope I don’t push too hard and fall flat on my mush. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi All, Finally got started the project. As usual started with the Cockpit Tub, don't know where Italeri get their colours from, but they are way out. The SU-33's usually have the same colours as the SU-27. The primary background colour is Torquoise for which I used White Ensigns Colourcoats - MIG Cockpit Interior Torquoise. Have also attempted to add seatbelts and buckles using Tamiya Masking Tape (which is very close to the correct colour), also wire and foil. Next week will fit the Tub into the Fuselage, shorten the Sting, and may get started with the major surgery on the Wings. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23752

View attachment 23753

1-SU-33.jpg

2-SU-33.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi All, Have now joined the two fuselage halves together after adding some ballast to the nose. Have shortened the tail, cut off the leading edge slats and and trailing edge Flaperons and split them. Have also tried to simulate the hinge on the wing by using some scrap telephone wire, removing the insulation, nicking it with a blunt blade to simulate the hinge bosses and super gluing it to a groove cut with a triangular needle file. Have shown one of the wings against a photo of a SU-33 wing hinge. Have also fixed the empty wings to the fuselage. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23769

View attachment 23770

View attachment 23771

View attachment 23772

View attachment 23773

View attachment 23774

View attachment 23775

View attachment 23776

View attachment 23777

3-SU33.jpg

4-SU-33.jpg

5-SU-33.jpg

6-SU-33.jpg

7-SU-33.jpg

8-SU-33.jpg

9-SU-33.jpg

10-SU-33.jpg

11-SU-33.jpg

P

Paul1978

Hi Derek

I'm really inpressed with your work. Mind you, i think you're absolutely brave for having Zvezda. I've never bought an aircraft kit from them but armour... ohhhhh bad memories. They're the only company (i think) which produces the GAZ soviet truck - nice little thing but the half og the plastic on the sprues were bent.

When you finish your plane, you should post it on their website. They have a nice gallery there on Zvezda.ru

Looking forward to seeing the finished masterpiece mate.

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A quote from Rudyard Kipling is obviously needed here!

"By the livin' Gawd that made you,

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Great stuff. It's always a bit of a heart in mouth moment when you make the first cut on a project like this but yours look to be working. Maybe you should post it on Zvezda's web site,as Paul suggests, to show how it should have been done.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Hi Paul and Steve, many thanks for your words of encouragement. I think I must be a glutton for punishment, but I do love my Flanker’s; for me they are one of the most graceful aircraft to take to the skies; having said that my next model will be strictly OOB. Paul, I used to travel to Moscow in the early 80’s, before glasnost, on business a fascinating city. I will always remember the Brides going to the War Memorial and laying down their bouquets after their wedding, very touching. I stayed in the Metropol Hotel, just by Red Square, and just opposite the then KGB building. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi All, have now reinstalled the leading edge slats and the trailing edge flaps and ailerons. Have also mounted the tailerons and the air intakes after first painting the internals. I have left off the tail fin to make painting the very long engine/flame pipes more easy. I learnt that the hard way when I did my SU-27 Flanker B. Decided to fit the airbrake closed so as not to spoil the profile of the aircraft. Cheers Derek

View attachment 23810

View attachment 23811

13-SU-33.jpg

12-SU-33.jpg

Last edited: