Sukhoi SU-50 - 1/72 Zvezda

C

Caledonia

Never say never, after my Sukhoi SU-33 Flanker D I swore I would never buy another Zvezda kit again, but guess what. This kit seems to be flying off the shelves at Hannants, and there were not any in 5 of the usual websites I check regularly yesterday. Today I was in the recently opened Modelzone shop in Aberdeen, and guess what.

Russia's answer to the F22 Raptor, quite fancy the Academy 1/72 kit of the F22. A few shots of the Box Art and Sprues etc. Quite a pricey kit for what you get, but you do get a standing and seated Pilot, a Ladder and surprise surprise a Stand to mount the Aircraft havent seen one of these since I returned to the hobby from the 1950's. Fortunately the Panel Lines are recessed. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25863

View attachment 25864View attachment 25865View attachment 25866View attachment 25867

View attachment 31987

View attachment 31988

View attachment 31989

View attachment 31990

View attachment 31991

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff derek, ive been looking at these, but not seen any reviews yet. Cant wait to see the finished item, its going to be a beauty , i know youll make a cracking job of it. How much was it ? cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, the RRP which I paid was £16.99, see the photo below, looks a rather nice paint job which I will probably copy. Cheers Derek

Photos: Sukhoi T-50 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely scheme derek, although the different shades on the bare metal engine exhaust sections look tricky!! cheers tony

C

chrisonord

Looking forward to your build of this, I bought one of these in January, and built it as soon as it arrived. I found few problems with the build, main thing was with the intakes as they needed a bit of filling and sanding. I have done mine in a splinter type camo scheme which, I am still not too sure about, so it might get a repaint sometime soon.

Cheers,

Chris.

C

Caledonia

Hi Chris, don't be bashfull, please post us a shot of your Sukhoi, I would like to see a finished model, especially with an unusual paint scheme. Intakes are always the problem with Jets. I also recently purchased the Academy F-22A Raptor at 1/72, you get an awful lot more kit for an extra £5, clear or tinted canopy, weapons, open or closed weapons bays etc. etc. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

This will be an OOB build, little choice really on a new kit on a fairly secret aircraft.

Started as usual with the cockpit, this is supplied with instrument decals. The instrument panel (not shown) is not accurate, on the internet is a photo of it taken during Premier Putin's visit to the Sukhoi factory. Not important really at 1/72 it will be barely visible when installed.

View attachment 26581View attachment 26582

One point to note is the plastic used for the windscreen and canopy, this has an oily feel to it and is far more flexible than normal. When I tried to dunk it in a bath of Klear I could not get rid of the tear drops so had to wash the Klear off. Might try brushing the Klear on.

The panel lines of the main fuselage body are fairly shallow so will need to be careful that they are not lost during painting etc. Also the outer skin of the fuselage as a very fine gritty finish, I can only assume that this is an attempt to simulate a radar absorption coating perhaps?

View attachment 26583View attachment 26584

Going to make a start on the intakes.

Must say that the quality of the moulding is a vast improvement on the previous Zvenza kit I made. Cheers derek

View attachment 32496

View attachment 32497

View attachment 32498

View attachment 32499

B1.jpg

B2.JPG

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

C

chrisonord

Hya Derek,

I will take some pictures of it and post them up here, I have just done my own rendition of the XF-32 also, mine is a Skyhawk replacement. I need to redo the decals on it though as they went completely bad. I will put a picture of it on my thread.

Cheers

Chris.

C

Caledonia

Photo of the Intake Trunking/Undercarrige Bay components.

View attachment 26623

Components for the Intake Trim

View attachment 26624

The above assembled using Plastic Weld Cement throughout.

View attachment 26625

The first of the Intake Trim fitted to the fuselage.

View attachment 26626

Some minor reshaping required but otherwise the fit is very good.

Will start painting parts of the Intake Duct/Compressor Fan before fitting into the fuselage. Cheers Derek

View attachment 32538

View attachment 32539

View attachment 32540

View attachment 32541

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Quite a kit there and not too bad a price when you see what you get for it. You can pay 25 quid for a Tamiya 1/12 bike nowadays so I guess everythig is slowly on the increase.

I sem to remember a dramatic clip on Youtube of one of these falling out of the sky at an airshow. Scary footage.

Looking forward to the build though and the subtle metallic finishes.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Richard, progress since the last posting is as follows.

Both intake trunking/wheel bays now installed some pruning and filler required, also painted inside the trunking and masked off and plugged with blue tack.

View attachment 26656View attachment 26654

Finished off the cockpit, masked it and cemented it to the fuselage with Klear.

View attachment 26657View attachment 26658View attachment 26655

Painting the exhaust nozzes at the moment and will seal up the fuselage tomorrow. Have also mixed up the paints for the colour scheme, see posting #3 above. Cheers Derek

View attachment 32567

View attachment 32568

View attachment 32569

View attachment 32570

View attachment 32571

B12.jpg

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

B10.JPG

B11.JPG

C

Caledonia

Been busy masking and painting this week, a few shots of the progress.

First Primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Aerosol - White.

View attachment 26757

Then masked off for the lighter blue shade, took the unusual step of also masking off the dark blue areas so that I could try and get some tonal variation in the larger areas when spraying over the white.

View attachment 26759View attachment 26758

Mixed my own colours; for the light blue used Tamiya XF-2 White and XF-18 Medium Blue, added the Blue to the White, better control that way. After spraying the light blue areas re=masked for the darker blue.

View attachment 26760View attachment 26761

For the darker blue I used the same mix but added a little black. I have learned from experience with Tamiya paint that the only way to find out the true colour is to paint a small patch and wait till it dries, Tamiya has a habit of dry significanty darker than when wet.

View attachment 26762View attachment 26763

I allow the paint to dry overnight when I have a lot of masking to do, so tomorrow I will re-mask the model to paint the wheelbays and the Exhaust. Cheers Derek

p.s. for those Russian enthusiasts out their I see that Hasegawa will be releasing a 1/72 Sukhoi SU-33 Flanker D in a few months time.

View attachment 32664

View attachment 32665

View attachment 32666

View attachment 32667

View attachment 32668

View attachment 32669

View attachment 32670

B18.jpg

B20.jpg

B19.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B23.jpg

B24.jpg

K

kaiyudsai

I recently got this kit..... Im pretty excited about it... Im using the Aires Flanker burner cans, airesd K-36 seat... and a modified Su-30 tub( it actually fits nicely)... I got a PE raptor cockpit (Im going to use the instrument panel from this to simulate the glass cockpit of the Pak Fa) as well as the F-22 HUD..... I know it wont be perfectly accurate.... but I think it will build up a nice representation..... i was pretty impressed with some of the detail on this kit.,... Although Im p[retty sure the pakFa uses the same type of radar absorbant coating as the raptor so there probably wouldnt be very noticeable panel lines..... I do wish there was an opening bay,,,, Im considering cutting the control surfaces.... since that is my biggest problem with the kit.... the flaperons and rudders just look fake....

Nice job on the splinter...... Im going to build mine as a fictional Ukrainian or Khazak bird... using some blue shades.....