Summer 2011 GB Do217N2

T

treyzx10r

Starting with a Revell Do217E-4

and the Koster bits

a nice 3 view

and heres the photo

I know theres not a lot going on in the photo but its the only pic I could find of the subject my apologies for that. Hopefully the build itself will make up for it. I'm also going to throw this disclaimer out so I have an excuse for any misadventures during the build,this is my first attempt at anything vacuum formed . I'm off to wash my parts hope to have some pics up later of the start wish me luck!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

That looks like a nice challenge and I've every confidence that you will produce an absolutely fabulous model from it. Vac form parts are a challenge. I've built several MiniArt buildings in the past which are vac formed but these really don't require the precision fit of an aircraft skin so, I can imagine the difficulties involved. But then again if you don't have a go you wouldn't learn anything new! Your bravery in sharing your experience though has got to be applauded.

I for one though think you've got all the talent to finish this brilliantly and I look foward to the results.

Best of luck mate

Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
ooo i've been waiting for this build Trey. Watching with massive interest now :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Paul thanks for the vote of confidence .I must admit I'm a bit out of my comfort zone but your words of encouragement sure help thanks!

Allyne hope I do'nt dissapoint ya

I started with the office as usual but the vac parts are a new twist for sure. The replacement nose is of course vac formed so some care and a fresh blade were a must

Test fitting and retest fitting sanding here and there to get a good fit

The Koster kit requires cutting a part of the fuse away,seems to me it could've been left the other way around but that would have left off the spent shell ejector ports in the vacum formed part so I do get why they did it that way.

The Koster conversion would have you glue the nose halves on to the fuselage at this point ,however I prefer joining the nose halves then adding the assembly later to assure better alignment of the panel line details. I also added tabs for a better glue joint

The Port side office detail is completely replaced by the Koster kit ,the only trouble here was getting the vac formed part to fit the contour of the interior. I used lots of clamps and ca and was able to coax it into place

both interior halves ready for paint,nose cones are just taped in place

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic stuff trey, its really great seeing the conversion from start to finish, its going to be great! cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great so far Trey. I'm defo on the side of not trying vacform stuff. Far to delicate for my skill level lol

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Tony ,Allyne thanks and so far its not been too hateful (knock on wood)

The office is painted and except for the seats ready to go,still waiting for some a/m seatbelts to arrive so I'm going to skip ahead and tackle the much dreaded engine nacelles

B

Bunkerbarge

I can't thank you enough Trey for taking the time to share this build with us. Many of us, myself included, dread taking on a vac formed kit and a vac formed conversion is even worse, as you run the risk of messing up the main model!

You are doing a cracking job here though, not only of the build, but also in taking the time to share it with us and helping us all to see just what can be achieved with vac formed parts. That cockpit interior has come out superbly and will look brilliant through the huge canopy.

First Name
Dave
Looking good Trey.The Koster vacuform parts look good quality.The White metal props are nice as well.I made a complete vacuform kit last year and it was a big one.A 1/48 Halifax bomber.I have average modelling skills ,but managed to build it and am happy with the result.If you get a taste for vacuforms after doing this conversion have a look at Tigger Models.com. They do a 1/32 B29 !!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This looks like being one of the more interesting builds in this GB so far and I will be following closely. I have yet to try a vacform aircraft so loads of tips here!

That cock pit looks great!

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Andy thanks

Thanks Richard,I have to admit this is a bit daunting. This being the only game in town for a 1/48 scale N2 it forced my hand to step out of my comfort zone so the least I can do is share my pain with the rest of you!

Dave thanks ,I missed your vac build did you post pics? Really a 1/32 scale B29 that would be huge!!!

Thanks and again Ian my apologies for jumpimg the start

Still waiting on some a/m interior parts so I started the engine nacelles. Again a sharp fresh blade is a must.

I left the halves connected for a better chance of getting a uniform level surface while block sanding,180 grit cut it nicely.

Then they were seperated and glue tabs added

Next the front of the nacelle was cut free and very carefully sanded level,also trimmed and cleaned up the intake openings

Glue tabs were added to the front along with some toothpick ends to help alignment

There is going to be a lot of tedious fine sanding and filling to get them right but here they are so far

First Name
Dave
The engine nacelles look good.i see youve added tabs across the joins.When i built my vacuform i found this absolutely essential to get a strong join.Especially on the fuselage.Even the cockpit transparency needed tabs adding.I found the clear vacuform material on my kit would only stick with CA.So i had to be very careful to avoid fogging.I didnt post pics because i built it last year and only joined the forum in Jan 2011.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Dave,your tip about the tabs has really helped a lot . You should post up some pics of your build would be great to see it.I use odorless(aka foam safe) ca on clear parts as it wo'nt fog them.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of 4 problems has come up. #1The conversion fails to delete the lower gondola gun position

going to have to make a plug and scratch a fix for this

#2 This is a big problem ,the top turret needs to go as well ,however the conversion supplied canopy is a vac form duplicate off the original. Not sure how to get around this may just have to leave the turret on any suggestions? Take into consideration I have no vac form equipment or the inclination to obtain any.

#3 Decals supplied in the conversion are'nt the correct letters and I'm not finding any a/m ones online for PE+AW as I've no printer or skills in decal making any help here would huge.

#4 The 'Schrage Musak' cannons are not supplied in the conversion,this should'nt be too difficult to scratch tho

I did a dry test fit of the major parts and looks like a pretty solid fit

First Name
Dave
Regarding your cockpit transparency problem.Maybe you could build it as an N1 which retained the Gun turret.It had DB603 engines.Not sure if these were on the N2 though.Then you'd only need to find colour scheme and markings for it.Hopefully stona will provide some info.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Re the Decal problem- I am pretty sure that if you drop "The Migrant" a PM he will help you out. Looking at the aircraft he has posted on here, He has made the decals for all of them. He is even on the same side of the pond as you are, all be it in the far far north!

Could you not fill the hole with clear plastic from the original canopy, file it to fit the shape and then polish it up with a polishing stick. This would give you the plane window then its just mask and paint.

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Ian.Treys problem is the transparency supplied with the conversion is incorrect for a 217N2.It has a turret opening the SAME as the donor bomber kit transparency.My point is the 217N1 fighter retained the turret so would be easier to model.Providing he can find markings and colour scheme that is.And providing the engine nacelles are the same.

First Name
Dave
Ian.You changed your post as i was typing an answer!.Makes mine sound odd now!.Covering the turret hole would still give the wrong shape.This might be acceptable to an average modeller like me.Not sureif Trey would be happy to do that though.I still think the N1 varient is the best option.provided the other criteria i mentioned can be met.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry Dave. The only problem with your good suggestion is that then it would not be the Aircraft depicted in the photograph. The whole objective of the group build being to depict the object in a photo so its not really an option either.

Knowing Trey's work he will figure it out.

Ian M

Promise I wont edit this post...lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Trey, I found a few photos that may be of help to you solving the canopy problem...

http://barradale.net/rc/images/DO217_Photo1_023.jpg

http://barradale.net/rc/images/DO217_Photo1_017.jpg

I know that the vac formed canopy will be a pig/impossible to alter, but what about the original kit canopy. Could the back be cut off of that and a new tail end scratch built. Looks to me that it was solid panels with a small window in the top?

Ian M